The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-25-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by S351r View Post
If anyone needs an original cluster send me a pm with year. I have a few from 96-04. For the 99-04 I won't be able to tell you how many miles. Your Ford dealer can reprogram the PATS system to work with your car. If your car is an original Saleen Ford may be able to reprogram your mileage into the new cluter. You will have to confirm with Ford on that one. 99-04 clusters are $375 plus shipping. On the 96-98 I'll have to make sure I still have them. I don't have any spare S351 clusters currently. I have been told the Dallas speed cal won't work for a 200 mph speedo. I have never verified it though. Best bet would be to call them and ask.
Still have a 1994-1998 150? I prefer a 1996-1998, but the redline does not bother me that much, so a 1994-1995 would be fine too. How would one go about reprogramming for 200MPH on a 1996-1998? PM me with the details, if you would, on the gauges. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Is there any update on this since the return of 'Saleen' to Steve?
Old 07-08-2012

You won't see any updates on this. The machine that did the calibration is damaged beyond repair and the cost to replace could not be re-coup'd. Before the machine was damaged you would spend $300 just to have the calibration done not to mention the cost of the faces. Not many people would pay that.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #46 (2000 chassis)
95 Saleen S351 #43, SR Spec
99 Saleen S351R #42 (2000 Chassis)
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 07-09-2012
Inactive Account

Scott is 100% correct we tried with Spring when the machine was in Irvine, with Jess when it was in MI and no luck.
Old 11-21-2012
SOEC Member

I got a question, I've been thinking of doing gears (3.27 to maybe 3.73), and worry about speedometer being off. I of course have factory Saleen gauges, but don't know if it would be off by a crazy amount or speedometer would be darn close? According to my Garmin it already reads a little higher than actual speed....only reason I haven't done anything yet is fear speedometer would be way off
Old 11-21-2012

Change the speedo gear on the speed sensor mounted to the drivers side of the trans. Ford racing sells the correct one.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 11-22-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

Default 99 and newer have to be calibrated in ecm

99 and newer dont have gear at side of trans, trans is magnetic driven instead of gear driven , on 98 and older. Tune must be done by flashing ecm , we use delta force software, for majority of tuning, as well as sct and diablo if you have local tuner in your area, for those in areas with no tuning you can send your ecm to me we bench them and send back same as you can do with saleen or any reutable tuner.

Nothing needs to be done to cluster
Old 12-04-2012
SOEC Member

I have a SCT tuner and I know that on regular GT's you can adjust the speedometer sweep, haven't tried it on Saleen gauge yet, but doubt it will work
Old 04-22-2013

Any updates on if you can calibrate a Saleen 200 Speedo with a GT yet?
Old 04-22-2013

And if not, what would I need from a totaled Saleen to make the Speedo work?
Old 04-23-2013

You will have to find the gauges from a wrecked Saleen. Be careful though. There are a lot of clusters with just the faces added. You will only need the speedo however, you will have to take it to the Ford dealer to have the PATS system redone so it will recognize the cluster. Clusters have the VIN stored in them for the car they are in.
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 04-23-2013
SOEC Member

Can you use an SCT on an 02? and if so does it have the ability to adjust the speedo? I corrected mine on my 06 like this
C&L intake
Kenny Bell BAP
SCT Tuner
Tuned by Bob Kurgan @ GTR
Steeda upper & lower control arms
Steeda Adj panhard
Stifflers subframes and g load (Look at 5.0 Mustang Mag for suspension article) May 2013
Gran DS loops
Hawk pads
Old 04-29-2013
Saleen Forums Registrant

Not a 200MPH cluster, but the next best thing for a clone... I had some custom gauges made. They are white face gauges, and light up indiglo. Definitely sets it apart from the stock GT gauges, and more true to Saleen form than a simple white faced gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
saleen gauges.jpg  

Old 08-02-2013
Saleen Forums Registrant

Had some issues initially with bad solders, got them fixed and everything working. Once again, not authentic, but good option for clones or those that need replacements.
Attached Thumbnails
night.JPG  

installed.JPG  

Old 08-10-2013

My Florida / Connecticut S281 MPH speedo template was swapped for the KM speedo template as the car is now in Canada. The needle still points to 10 o'clock (60 MPH) instead of 12 o'clock when doing 100 Km per hour (the approximate same speed as 60MPH). The sweep (acceleration rate) of the needle needs to be re-calibrated so it will rise faster and rest at the 12 noon position at highway speeds. Is this a mechanical fix or software, or both? Leaving the car with someone to test possibilities / theories is not in my game plan. Options: I could put the original template back in or.........?
Old 02-26-2014

"Heiler-Tachodesign" in Germany just made a 0-300KPH speedometer disc for me, customised exactly the way I wanted it. Photos to follow.....
This solves my problem (the 0-240KPH speedo disc does not line up with the accelleration rate of my speedometer needle).
Old 03-02-2014

You should be able to use an adjustable V.S.S. to correct the speedo issue, if I am not mistaken.
Old 03-13-2014
Saleen Forums Registrant

New here, just came across this looking for something similar. Thinking about building one that would exceed the 150mph speedo, and saw the 200mph saleen ones...

Being an electrical engineer, I'm going with this would be difficult but not impossible.

Since I don't have a cluster to take a very close look at, can someone confirm a few things?

The pictures above of the board make me assume its a 1 sided pcb?
Are there any other smaller pcbs in the cluster?
Is the lcd directly attached to the main pcb?
Can someone get the numbers off all the ICs on the board (s)?
Do we know if the data from the pcm to the cluster is analog or digital?
I assume even if the gauge data is analog the pats data would be digital?

Just some things to start off with.

My theory on operation:
The odo reading is stored in eeprom. I don't see any battery on there and that just wouldn't be practical anyways. Without being able to read anything on any of the ICs I can't tell if there's separate epprom or if its stored in the microcontroller eeprom. If its separate epprom a programmer could easily download/upload data to it, albeit probably will involve desoldering the IC to do so, though it may be possible to tack on jumpers.

Same with the microcontroller. Its data can be dumped and reverse engineered.

Pats may fall into this category as well.

Other (less pretty) option:
Take the faces off an authentic saleen cluster, put them on one that works with pats and the odo set by ford, disconnect the servos for the gauges, design and program a second microcontroller to sweep them based on the data from the pcm. If the data is analog this wouldn't actually be too hard, you'd just have a box about the size of a credit card an inch thick to put somewhere behind the cluster wired to it.

This may seem overly complicated, and its far from as easy as we'd like, but I'm the guy who believes with time and determination and skill you can make anything happen. Just like my old paddle shifted 98SE taurus...it can be done...
Old 03-13-2014
SOEC Member

I don't know enough to help you here, but I want to wish you luck as there will be several happy people...
Old 03-13-2014

Default Instrument cluster description

The instrument cluster is roughly 3 x 4 x 10 inches in size. If they're fried, it's $ 700.00+ to buy a new one. To transfer your accumulated mileage to the new one, both the new one and old one have to be shipped away to get the mileage dialed in (at an additional cost). If you're familiar with eprom burners, you know there's no magic involved but they will pretend there is just to soak you another $300.00+ for 5 minutes of work plus shipping. They won't ship the old one back.

The cable behind the cluster is held in place with a plastic twin-grabber lock clip that rotates 90 degrees to lock / unlock the 1 x 2 x 2 inch electrical connector that feeds the cluster. If you break the clip (as I have in the past with another vehicle) Ford wants you to buy the entire cable ($ 500.00+) instead of the 4-cent lock clip. The connector colour and clip colour are two different colours - it's an assembly of two parts - the parts could easily be sold separately and you know why they won't.

If the clip is broken, you can't drive the car. As soon as the unlocked connector vibrates loose, the car shuts down like the key has been turned off. At highway speeds, it gets exciting quick - you have nearly no steering and not much else. It drives similar to a GM that way (if you heard the news today) when the key falls out of the ignition.

There is one circuit card assembly / printed circuit board inside the cluster that is physically attached to the connector. There's nothing on the CCA / PCB except runs, if memory serves. All it does is interface the control signals with the light bulbs spread out all across the cluster. The bulbs are controlled by the main computer fed to the cluster through the cable.

Other than the speedo template, the rest of the cluster is just plastic. The largest part secures the various layers of the cluster in place, and makes sure there's only one idiot light illuminated per light bulb. Each bulb is lined up with a light tube that directs the illumination onto one specific part of the speedo template to light up one idiot light. Other bulbs are scattered around without light tubes to provide more generalized backlighting for night time driving. There are a series of plastic clips to lock everything together including the clear dust shield nearest the driver.

If the paint on the template is too thick, no light will be transmitted. The only way to repair a damaged speedo template is to drop in a new one, or replace the entire cluster for 2x to 3x the cost.

As no one I spoke with had any clue about adjusting the acceleration rate of the speedo needle through re-programming / re-burning / gear swapping, I dropped interest and simply replaced the MPH speedo template (or disc) with one that >> accurately << provides KMH at the ration of 1 MPH to 1.609344 KMH (60 MPH is 96.56 KMH). As my Saleen's computer has the speedo needle pointing at 10 o'clock when doing 60MPH, I needed it to point to 10 o'clock when doing 100KMH.

The last 0-240 KMH template I tried said I was going 70KMH when I was doing 100KMH. It has the 100KMH position at 12 o'clock and not 10 o'clock. If you physically remove the needle and place it at the 12 o'clock position when at 10KMH, the needle will not sweep back to zero when you stop.

My new 0-320 KMH template will be installed in a couple of weeks. After the driveway is clear of snow and ice and the salt is gone off the roads (next October at this rate), I'll try it out. I've been using the GPS to tell me my speed - it is accurate as I have checked it against another vehicle. I have both the original MPH and the new KMH templates in case the next owner wants to switch it back. As the GPS can be set to MPH whenever I need to, I can safely drive in the USA without having to rip the dash apart to drop in the MPH template.
Old 09-05-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Any Luck on Finding a Calibrator/Programmer?

Anyone have any luck lately on finding someone who can work the magic to recreate the Saleen cluster?
Old 09-05-2016

I contacted this company in Germany and had them make me a KPH version of my MPH gauge. If you can't solve your problem through calibration (or other), you COULD solve it by getting a new template made.

I sent them the MPH template and they returned it along with the KPH template with is 100% accurate.

I've sold my Saleen.... good luck everyone... bye.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

I used to program the clusters at saleen in irvine program was an old crappy laptop that runs a dos program to calibrate each gauge. Its just some simple program the engineers created but without it there's no way to calibrate those clusters unless you have a program with comprable to the one we used
Old 04-23-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by apicia View Post
Each of the 6 gauges has the same analog servo motor. They can't be flashed. They are controlled by the cluster microcontroller and told how much to sweep (50%, 75%, etc.). The controller is configured to match the overlay or gauge values. The controller would need to be recalibrated or reflashed. There must be some sort of firmware.

Ford has a microcontrollers for the V6 (120 mph speedo), GT (150 mph speedo), Cobra (160 mph speedo), Mach 1 (150? mph speedo), etc. I am not sure if these are different microprocessors or the same microcontroller flashed with differing firmware. If it is firmware, Ford should be able to flash the microprocessor if they had the firmware.

My oil pressure isn’t working on my 2000 saleen. The harness I’m using came out of a 2000 GT for the engine bay and was working on the GT cluster. I replaced the oil pressure sensor and still not working. I’m thinking the problem is within the cluster in itself. Can I remove just the face from a spare saleen cluster onto my cluster? Without changing the actual circuit board/PATS etc, it should work right? I was hoping to just change the face out and see if that was the problem.
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 07-18-2023
Saleen Forums Registrant

Hate to start a new thread, but did anyone ever gain any ground on this? My car is a 1999 S281SC, and it has 3.73 gears in it. Speedo is reading high (also puts miles on the ODO faster then) and it drive me nuts... Anyone figure out a way to recalibrate the speedo? I was going to tune on SCT Racer Software, but sounds like that may not work. And I have also been entertaining MS3Pro as it is plug and play and I would use the factory wiring etc.
Terminator X is another. But I don't want to remove the factory wiring and want it to stay OEM appearing as possible.
Apologies for bumping an older post. Reading this got me excited and then ended in a letdown. lol. Kinda like a past girlfriend.
Old 07-18-2023

Your speedo doesn't need to be recalibrate. Your speedo drive gear needs to be corrected for the gear ratio in the rear end
96 Saleen S351R #13
97 Saleen S351R #23 vert
99 Saleen S351R #29
Old 07-18-2023
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by S351r View Post
Your speedo doesn't need to be recalibrate. Your speedo drive gear needs to be corrected for the gear ratio in the rear end
On the 99-04 I didn’t think the gear was there. It was a magnet pick up?