The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > TSBs, Install Manuals and Service Documents
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

TSBs, Install Manuals and Service Documents Technical Service Bulletins and other resources to help you keep your Saleen running in top form. Full access is available to forum registrants. If you can't find a document, please PM us or use the Contact Us form at the bottom of the page with year, model and concern.

Old 12-01-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: How to inspect Series VI supercharger oil?

I have a question on this information below that was posted on the forum and I'm hoping someone can give me a little additional info.
I am new to the Saleen engineering and trying to educate myself on my fairly new purchase of an '07 S281 SC with 12,200 miles. While I have went through most of the fluids on the vehicle I have not done the Supercharger yet and I'm a little intimidated. See questions below.

1. All I want to do is check the oil and see if it's okay, but not get in over my head or pay someone for something simple I can do. One of the Saleen manuals mentions that it takes NYE Synthetic oil #605. If it's low can I just use any 5w-50 synthetic oil to top it off? It does not seem too difficult like mentioned below, but want to confirm this.

2. Is the oil plug location in the same place for all '05-09 Saleen Superchargers?

3. Manual mentions it takes a pint of oil, does this mean you fill it to the top of the Allen plug? How do you tell if the oil is actually low without a dipstick?

Thank you for the help.
Rick

------------------
We've received a lot of questions by e-mail about the inspection and service of the twin-screw supercharger oil on late-model Saleens.

"The photo [below] shows the location of the fill plug on the supercharger," says Saleen engineer, Andrew Gardner. "The plug is removed, but the threaded hole is visible on the [center] side of the photo. Several components have been removed in this photograph to show the location, but it is straightforward to find. The oil should be replaced every 50,000 miles and it doesn't hurt to check more often. The plug is removed with an Allen wrench, and it can be done without removing any other components."

Billy Tally, Saleen's former chief officer of technology explained to us some time back that the 50,000-mile service interval is on the conservative side. The high-quality lubricant used from the factory doesn't need to be changed as often as engine oil, especially since there is no exposure to hydrocarbons or other contaminants. It's simply gears rotating, and the unit really doesn't get all that hot.

Many thanks to these gentleman for assisting us with this question, and owners should routinely inspect the oil level should something unforeseen happen -- better safe than sorry.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

The plug is indeed in the same location on all 05-09 Saleen superchargers. The oil level is to the bottom of the threads I believe, but please pull up the SC install instructions located in this same section of the forums. You will also find the oil recommendations. If you go with the 5w50 the recommended change interval drops to 5k miles or so.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=5422

Follow this procedure, or search for my thread on how to check it without removing anything. It is a PITA either way, but it is possible.

Personally, the best solution to this design's lack of accessibility is the SC dipstick that was designed and is sold by 281 motorsports. I believe you still need to follow the oil change procedure which includes removing the engine coolant crossover that is in the way the first time, but after that it is as easy as checking your engine oil.

I use the Ford Racing Supercharger oil in mine. It is easy to get and meets the specs.
Old 12-01-2014

Thank you for the info. I will read up on it more, but after reading the threads from S281 Motorsports I'm freaking out that mine might be low. Seeing those pictures of the gears all chewed up makes me want to cry. Is there any indication that this is about to happen, any warnings, etc? Have you changed yours and if so how many miles did you have? Being I'm not the first owner I have no history of it being changed or checked with 12,200 miles. I was not worried until reading those threads, but it could be an eye opener before something major happened.

So let's say it's low and not leaking, can you fill it up a little with the oil you mentioned or does it have to be sucked out and refilled with new oil? I normally don't like to mix different fluids and for the time it takes to change it I would probably be best to do that.
Last thing, I read was the blue sealant used that seemed to be an issue. Is there any indication that this is the true cause and if so was it limited to certain years?

Thanks again.
Rick
Old 12-01-2014
SOEC Member

Rick,
Yes it was the blue sealant, and it was used at least through 2007. Mine had that sealant and was leaking. I shipped my blower to 281 for service as I had 60,000 miles on the clock at that point. The leak is usually very slow, as mine was and at 45000 miles or so it was 1.5 ounces low. I topped it off with the Ford SC oil once or twice before I could pull the blower and send it off. It is important to check it. I usually checked every other oil change. I check every oil change now that I have a dipstick.

You will notice the snout looks wet if it is leaking as it will leak at the seal behind the SC pulley and weep out toward the rear of the car.
Old 12-01-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
The plug is indeed in the same location on all 05-09 Saleen superchargers. The oil level is to the bottom of the threads I believe, but please pull up the SC install instructions located in this same section of the forums. You will also find the oil recommendations. If you go with the 5w50 the recommended change interval drops to 5k miles or so.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=5422

Follow this procedure, or search for my thread on how to check it without removing anything. It is a PITA either way, but it is possible.

Personally, the best solution to this design's lack of accessibility is the SC dipstick that was designed and is sold by 281 motorsports. I believe you still need to follow the oil change procedure which includes removing the engine coolant crossover that is in the way the first time, but after that it is as easy as checking your engine oil.

I use the Ford Racing Supercharger oil in mine. It is easy to get and meets the specs.
Thanks Michael. S281 Motorsports sells the dipstick for $85, not sure how easy it is to install? Even though it's a PITA to check without it I'll have to read up as I do need to check it and top off with the fluid you mentioned. I wish there was a Speedlab service center around these parts in NC close to me. I don't drive it all the time and when I do it's generally local with in an hour or so to shows or cruise-ins. If it's really low for only 12,200 miles, I'll have to get it looked into. I wonder how much it is to change just the seal if all else it okay?
Old 12-17-2014
SOEC Member

Default Twin screw supercharger 2014 yellow label saleen

I'm a new owner wanted some info I put my car away three weeks ago I went to start it last week noticed oil on ground I popped hood and noticed oil leaking from fitting on side of supercharger near brake booster any thoughts is the hose connected expanding and contacting from cold
Old 12-17-2014

Default Leak?

Can you post a picture? What year car, how many miles, etc.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass1 View Post
I'm a new owner wanted some info I put my car away three weeks ago I went to start it last week noticed oil on ground I popped hood and noticed oil leaking from fitting on side of supercharger near brake booster any thoughts is the hose connected expanding and contacting from cold
Old 12-17-2014

Default Dipstick.

I installed the Dipstick from S281 Motorsports. Jason was awesome to talk with as always and a big help. Directions were very simple to follow, but it's still a pita and took me about 2 hours, mainly because I have OCD and I have to double check everything... I'm always nervous about threading a bolt incorrectly. Supercharger needed about 6 small drops of oil, but I could have probably gotten away with no oil added because you could see it at the bottom of the fill hole. Anyway, it's done and I'm glad I did it. I would caution to not remove the small hose next to the supercharger fill plug as directions stated. It looks difficult to get back on and you still have just enough room to get the dipstick installed with it connected. Just make sure you don't break any clips like I did for the throttle body one. Mine was difficult to remove and before I knew it the clip broke, no big deal as it can be fixed with c clamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgcary View Post
I have a question on this information below that was posted on the forum and I'm hoping someone can give me a little additional info.
I am new to the Saleen engineering and trying to educate myself on my fairly new purchase of an '07 S281 SC with 12,200 miles. While I have went through most of the fluids on the vehicle I have not done the Supercharger yet and I'm a little intimidated. See questions below.

1. All I want to do is check the oil and see if it's okay, but not get in over my head or pay someone for something simple I can do. One of the Saleen manuals mentions that it takes NYE Synthetic oil #605. If it's low can I just use any 5w-50 synthetic oil to top it off? It does not seem too difficult like mentioned below, but want to confirm this.

2. Is the oil plug location in the same place for all '05-09 Saleen Superchargers?

3. Manual mentions it takes a pint of oil, does this mean you fill it to the top of the Allen plug? How do you tell if the oil is actually low without a dipstick?

Thank you for the help.
Rick

------------------
We've received a lot of questions by e-mail about the inspection and service of the twin-screw supercharger oil on late-model Saleens.

"The photo [below] shows the location of the fill plug on the supercharger," says Saleen engineer, Andrew Gardner. "The plug is removed, but the threaded hole is visible on the [center] side of the photo. Several components have been removed in this photograph to show the location, but it is straightforward to find. The oil should be replaced every 50,000 miles and it doesn't hurt to check more often. The plug is removed with an Allen wrench, and it can be done without removing any other components."

Billy Tally, Saleen's former chief officer of technology explained to us some time back that the 50,000-mile service interval is on the conservative side. The high-quality lubricant used from the factory doesn't need to be changed as often as engine oil, especially since there is no exposure to hydrocarbons or other contaminants. It's simply gears rotating, and the unit really doesn't get all that hot.

Many thanks to these gentleman for assisting us with this question, and owners should routinely inspect the oil level should something unforeseen happen -- better safe than sorry.

Attached Thumbnails

Old 12-17-2014
SOEC Member

I can get photo in few days car is 2014 yellow label 302 with 625 hp has 10,000 miles
Old 10-28-2015
SOEC Member

Does anyone have a picture of the 281 Motorsports dipstick installed?
Old 10-28-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastregalwe2 View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the 281 Motorsports dipstick installed?
I was going to take a picture of mine, but I cannot do any better than the one I found online. It's worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
S281 dipstick.JPG  

Old 10-28-2015
SOEC Member

Nifty. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastregalwe2 View Post
Nifty. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk