The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-19-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Q: Purchasing a 2007 S281 SC?

Good morning, first post.
I am about to purchase an ‘07 Saleen sc281. Vista blue, 18k miles, coupe.
Looking for information of what to look for, concerns, comments, complaints of this particular year.
Trying to be as informed as possible before I dive into the purchase.
Any help or comments would be highly appreciated
Old 08-19-2020
SOEC Member

Congrats on your almost purchased. My only advice is to verify authenticity. Be aware that the Saleen parts are hard to come by.
Old 08-19-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for your help, verified as authentic, by Saleen in California
Old 08-19-2020
Administrator

From 2005 through 2009 the S281 Supercharged models had a few changes.

The 2005 and 2006 models ran lean, had smaller injectors and a different tune for both years.

Mechanically, the 2007-09 S281 SC are basically the same. These cars had the larger injectors, larger air intake tube and modified air box.

Things to look out for are supercharger clunks or rattles. Also, check to see if the Saleen N2 shock / struts are leaking. The Saleen trim items can age. Meaning material brake down for seats, the dash mounted SC cluster can loose it's trim and clear plastic lens, the steering wheel emblem can fall off... etc. Allot of this has to do with age, sunlight and heat.

The wheels, body kit, hood, most trim and Saleen-spec mechanical parts are out-of-production. Most of the factory Ford trim items are out-of-production as well.
Old 08-19-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

two small things: check the hood vents for broken mounting tabs-those can be remounted with some jiggering or replacement vents from Jason @ 281 as I recall. Listen for the belt tensioner pulley whining or screaming. The stock plastic one can wear and a metal replacement is better. One big thing is check the bodywork seams for paint degradation on bottom edge of an upper panel. My winter use in Denver did not fare well requiring a respray. All good after that and I stopped its daily winter use.
Old 08-19-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

third small item- the boost gauge can be sticky and noisy with a click sound showing boost. I replaced the sensor thanks to Saleen yet the gauge remained sticky. Not a big deal but when it was new I thought it was a bigger issue. That was before the statement was invented, "it is what it is".
Old 08-19-2020
SOEC Member

Talking Lots of info

Hello, I am happy for you and your future purchase. There are a lot of knowledgeable people out hear that are willing to help with any and all of your issues or concerns. There are also a lot of people who modify their cars.

So I would ask if the cars been modified, and if so can they provide the engine tune and the tuner? Just a thought, some people might think this is might not be of value, but it would matter to me.

Then of course here is a great link to read about the red/blue sealant for the SC, not sure if it is for the 07 or just 06 and below, but worth reading.

https://www.saleenforums.soec.org/sh...ht=red+sealant

Then some people have had issues with the HID lights, I was one but was able to fix mine.
But if you have any questions or issues the search function on this site works very well to find your answers, as someone has probably had a similar issue.

07-55 SC Speedster;
1 of 1. Even with the mode that follow it's still 1 of 1.
3.4 Pulley, Saleen Extream CAI, VI.5 Lid ported, Tune, 62mm FR Throttle Body, Upgrade Chrome 5 spoke wheels, Max Diff 3.73 gear, Rockford punch, Rear bumper inlays (black chrome), Speedster, HID Lights, Saleen Duel Fuel Pumps, MoSaleen Idler, blackout side markers.

1968 GT Convertible Diamond Blue C-Code Concourse. Sold
00-372 - Triple black Conv. Soft Speedster cover. - sold
Old 08-23-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Evening. I verified the Saleen as authentic.
Except for the wheels I see nothing else as aftermarket, I bought it yesterday morning. Proud to be a Saleen owner
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2020
Administrator

Congratulations on the purchase!
Old 08-23-2020
SOEC Member

Very nice, and the color is awesome. Congrats.

07-55 SC Speedster;
1 of 1. Even with the mode that follow it's still 1 of 1.
3.4 Pulley, Saleen Extream CAI, VI.5 Lid ported, Tune, 62mm FR Throttle Body, Upgrade Chrome 5 spoke wheels, Max Diff 3.73 gear, Rockford punch, Rear bumper inlays (black chrome), Speedster, HID Lights, Saleen Duel Fuel Pumps, MoSaleen Idler, blackout side markers.

1968 GT Convertible Diamond Blue C-Code Concourse. Sold
00-372 - Triple black Conv. Soft Speedster cover. - sold
Old 08-23-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you all.. the only thing I find wrong with it is the fan only blows on low, ac works great, heat is fine, but speeds 1/4 only act on low
Fan relay?
Old 08-24-2020
Saleen Forums Participant

Congratulations, beautiful car!! I’m in central Oregon, I think I saw your car on one of the Facebook marketplace sites. You scooped it up pretty fast , it was only on there for a few days. Enjoy!!
Old 08-24-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Then yes you probably did see it on the listing.
I picked it up in South Washington.. we were very close to Oregon
I found the Saleen on Craigslist. You’re right I jumped pretty quick. I saw it listed on Wednesday I think, went a picked it up early Saturday morning
There was one other Saleen much closer to me, but this one was hands down the one I wanted
Old 09-02-2020

That one's really great looking! Nice find!
Old 09-02-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you, I’m extremely happy with this one. Right place, right time
Attached Thumbnails
3A48C8BF-4BD6-4402-A2F1-6F01A1DB3132.jpg  

1855E2D4-53D3-4310-B80D-E40585622086.jpg  

Old 09-04-2020

Nice interior. Worth the wait.