The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-15-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Q's: New "Terminator" S281 Saleen Cobra Owner

Does anyone on here have one of these rare cars? If so, I would appreciate a PM because I'm looking to connect with other owners of them. I recently acquired one of them and I'm putting it back to stock condition. I have a specific question about exactly what cat-back exhaust system this car would have come with from Saleen? My window sticker says "Saleen Mufflers and Performance Exhaust Pipes" but Saleen won't tell me what came on them and is saying it is "private label made for us."

I have heard it's a Magnaflow system? If so, would it be proper to just order a system like below or would Saleen have had a special muffler made by Magnaflow? I am trying to get this car back to Saleen OEM as much as possible. Did Saleen do anything else like add X-pipes or just leave the stock cats and mid pipe exhaust alone?

https://lmr.com/item/MPE-15644/99-04...Steel-Cat-back
Old 08-15-2020
Administrator

Saleen Performance used a Borla supplied system from 1999 through mid-2002. Somewhere during 2002 the Saleen-spec systems were supplied by MagnaFlow. These MagnaFlow systems carried through to the end of 2004.

What makes the SN95 & New Edge Saleen-spec cat-back systems unique are the tailpipes. Saleen needed longer tailpipes since their rear bumper covers extended past where a stock tail-pipe exits.

A 2003-04 S281 Cobra conversion was not much of a "Special" model when it came it Saleen content. Saleen did not design or install "Extra" performance items into these Cobra-based S281s. It was more of an appearance package with springs, struts/shocks and cat-back exhaust.
Old 08-15-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Saleen Performance used a Borla supplied system from 1999 through mid-2002. Somewhere during 2002 the Saleen-spec systems were supplied by MagnaFlow. These MagnaFlow systems carried through to the end of 2004.

What makes the SN95 & New Edge Saleen-spec cat-back systems unique are the tailpipes. Saleen needed longer tailpipes since their rear bumper covers extended past where a stock tail-pipe exits.

A 2003-04 S281 Cobra conversion was not much of a "Special" model when it came it Saleen content. Saleen did not design or install "Extra" performance items into these Cobra-based S281s. It was more of an appearance package with springs, struts/shocks and cat-back exhaust.
Thanks Dave. So where am I at to put stock exhaust system on this car? I need to buy the Magnaflow cat back system but then also find some Saleen tailpipes to use as well? How would you go about this to put the car back stock? Would the tailpipes from a 03-04 regular S-281 fit this car even with the IRS?
Old 08-15-2020
Administrator

As you are trying to do; you will have to find a 2003-04 S281 Cobra and see what Saleen did for the cat-back.

You state correctly, the non-IRS Saleen tailpipes will not work on an IRS car... but you might still need to find original Saleen/MagnaFlow tailpipes to cut the now vintage exhaust tips off the tailpipes.

Forum user Specracer might be able to supply you photos of a 2003-04 S281 Cobra cat-back system.
Old 08-15-2020
Administrator

If you are looking to stay vintage original. Seek a take-off 2002-04 Saleen/MagnaFlow cat-back system.

Then use the original mid pipes & muffler case assembly... and the original exhaust tips... but then manufacture new / replicate the tailpipes.
Old 08-15-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
If you are looking to stay vintage original. Seek a take-off 2002-04 Saleen/MagnaFlow cat-back system.

Then use the original mid pipes & muffler case assembly... and the original exhaust tips... but then manufacture new / replicate the tailpipes.
Great info Dave, I really appreciate you responding to all my posts like you do! I'll keep you posted on my progress, and in the meantime hopefully an S-281C owner will PM me or reply to this post and get me some detailed pictures of their cat-back system so I can try to recreate one. I'm going to do my best.
Old 08-16-2020
SOEC Member

Here are some crappy pix of the exhaust of a Termileen

Quote:

Forum user Specracer might be able to supply you photos of a 2003-04 S281 Cobra cat-back system.
Attached Thumbnails
20200816_090323.jpg  

20200816_090331.jpg  

20200816_090453.jpg  

20200816_090538.jpg  

Old 08-16-2020
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specracer View Post
Thank you for assistance and time spent.
Old 08-16-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specracer View Post
Thanks for taking the time to send those. If you get more time, can I get a better picture of the muffler? Do you see any part numbers at all on the muffler? And lastly, does it look like Saleen welded in their tips onto the Magnaflow system, maybe a pic of that area?
Old 08-16-2020
SOEC Member

Its all welded, from cat back (no clamps). Thats the best I can do right now on the muffler. The lift drip pans block the view from below, so its reach under with phone. I took the the muffler 3 times, that was the best. Car needs an inspection sticker this month, so It might come down off the lift its on now, and Ill try to take some more / better pix.