The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-15-2011
SloRIde SloRIde is offline
Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Default Brake fluid *very important*

Everyone,

I have been doing some research on brake fade etc. Last time at the track only 1/2 way through my first lap I was getting brake fade like crazy. I have paid attention to everything else, but never thought about changing my fluid. My friend luckily knew right away it was my fluid. I was thinking it was something to do with my mechanical equipment. While researching I found this article. It stress' the importance of changing the brake fluid often and why! I hope this is enlightenting to others as it was to me.

take care.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...fluid_1a.shtml
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2011
Barricade's Avatar
Barricade Barricade is offline
SOEC Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,758
Default

Good read & great info.

Thank you for the post.
__________________
-ǝsınƃsıp uı ʇoqoɹ-
BARRICADE 643
06-108E
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-15-2011
06281E 06281E is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,144
Default

What is the recommended for the 15" Stoptech brakes on the extremes? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-15-2011
OneQwkStang's Avatar
OneQwkStang OneQwkStang is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,270
Default

Interesting read, I don't think I have ever replaced my brake fluid in any vehicle I owned. However I don't drive any of my vehicles hard enough to get brake fade, even my Saleen.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-15-2011
Jason @ 281m's Avatar
Jason @ 281m Jason @ 281m is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fullerton, California
Posts: 4,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06281E View Post
What is the recommended for the 15" Stoptech brakes on the extremes? Anyone know?
We love the Motul Dot 6!
__________________
Jason | 281 Motorsports

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2002 Saleen Speedster #02-346
2007 Roush TrakPak-Race car
2015 Mustang GT

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: sales@281m.com
Web: www.saleenspeedlab.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf


"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-15-2011
06281E 06281E is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
We love the Motul Dot 6!
You sure it's dot-6? Is that a silicone based or a hydrophilic? I only ask because after doing some reading about the subject it seems that DOT-5 is not compatible with any of the other fluids (dot-2,3,4, or 5.1)and will supposedly disintegrate all of the seals in your system when mixed. They are saying the advantage to a silicone based dot-5 is that it wont absorb the moisture from the air and never needs to be changed, just topped off when necessary.. I honestly didnt know so much went into brake fluid but i am glad i haven't poured any DOT-5 into my system. This was pretty informative:

http://www.gtgtandems.com/tech/chap10.html
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-15-2011
Jason @ 281m's Avatar
Jason @ 281m Jason @ 281m is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fullerton, California
Posts: 4,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06281E View Post
You sure it's dot-6? Is that a silicone based or a hydrophilic? I only ask because after doing some reading about the subject it seems that DOT-5 is not compatible with any of the other fluids (dot-2,3,4, or 5.1)and will supposedly disintegrate all of the seals in your system when mixed. They are saying the advantage to a silicone based dot-5 is that it wont absorb the moisture from the air and never needs to be changed, just topped off when necessary.. I honestly didnt know so much went into brake fluid but i am glad i haven't poured any DOT-5 into my system. This was pretty informative:

http://www.gtgtandems.com/tech/chap10.html
its been a while since we bought some, ill look in the morning.
__________________
Jason | 281 Motorsports

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2002 Saleen Speedster #02-346
2007 Roush TrakPak-Race car
2015 Mustang GT

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: sales@281m.com
Web: www.saleenspeedlab.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf


"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-20-2011
SloRIde SloRIde is offline
Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
its been a while since we bought some, ill look in the morning.
It's motul 600.. dot 3-4..

600 I assume is for the temperature range. Its good up to about 520 degrees. I just put it in and works great.

All Saleens are DOT 3.. Which technically means its the minimum you can use. A dot 4 or 5 is ok.. This Motul 600 is about the best for the buck. Otherwise is Castrol SRF for $70 for litre..

Hope this helps everyone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-20-2011
SloRIde SloRIde is offline
Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06281E View Post
What is the recommended for the 15" Stoptech brakes on the extremes? Anyone know?
DOT 3.. I would do a 3 or 4.. I wouldn't recommend 5 because i haven't read anywhere anyone using it.. But the SRF Castrol or the Motul 600 is technically a 3-4 and works great..

Hope this helps.

I changed mine and it really helps under hard braking.. Actually makes you realize the 4 piston 14" brakes work..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-20-2011
SloRIde SloRIde is offline
Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQwkStang View Post
Interesting read, I don't think I have ever replaced my brake fluid in any vehicle I owned. However I don't drive any of my vehicles hard enough to get brake fade, even my Saleen.
I drive down a 12% grade everyday about 1 mile. I think just that amount of braking alone over time has created enough heat damage. Let alone track days..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-20-2011
06281E 06281E is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRIde View Post
It's motul 600.. dot 3-4..

600 I assume is for the temperature range. Its good up to about 520 degrees. I just put it in and works great.

All Saleens are DOT 3.. Which technically means its the minimum you can use. A dot 4 or 5 is ok.. This Motul 600 is about the best for the buck. Otherwise is Castrol SRF for $70 for litre..

Hope this helps everyone.
I don't think you should give people this kind of harmful information.. A DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid and will hurt your seals and anything else rubber in the system and cause leaks. They say you have to run a certain kind of braking system to run silicone based fluids. The best fluid out there for ABS hydraulic type systems would be the Motul 3364HL DOT 5.1 non silicone based fluid. It has the highest wet boiling temp and is proven to last longer than the other fluids. That is what i will be using when i flush the clutch and brake system. It goes for about $13 for 500ml..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-20-2011
SloRIde SloRIde is offline
Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06281E View Post
I don't think you should give people this kind of harmful information.. A DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid and will hurt your seals and anything else rubber in the system and cause leaks. They say you have to run a certain kind of braking system to run silicone based fluids. The best fluid out there for ABS hydraulic type systems would be the Motul 3364HL DOT 5.1 non silicone based fluid. It has the highest wet boiling temp and is proven to last longer than the other fluids. That is what i will be using when i flush the clutch and brake system. It goes for about $13 for 500ml..

If you read the other post I suggested not doing dot5 because i couldnt find anyone out there that has done it.. I did find the 5.1 for abs, but It does not have a higher boiling point than the motul 600. FYI
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-20-2011
06281E 06281E is offline
Senior Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRIde View Post
If you read the other post I suggested not doing dot5 because i couldnt find anyone out there that has done it.. I did find the 5.1 for abs, but It does not have a higher boiling point than the motul 600. FYI
I didnt know about the other post, i just saw the last post where you wrote DOT 4 or 5 is ok.. You are right about the Motul 600's boiling point, it is higher than the DOT 5.1. I never saw the RBF and that looks like a better choice so thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-20-2011
SloRIde SloRIde is offline
Saleen Forums Participant
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06281E View Post
I didnt know about the other post, i just saw the last post where you wrote DOT 4 or 5 is ok.. You are right about the Motul 600's boiling point, it is higher than the DOT 5.1. I never saw the RBF and that looks like a better choice so thanks for the info!
All the race guys at the track use SRF.. It is the best.. I just couldn't get any quickly and I needed asap.. It is almost an order item only. No one stocks it here in salt lake city. The Ducati dealer was the only dealer that stocked motul 600. It came almost as highly recommended as SRF.

Good luck and take care.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Orders placed through these advertiser links help to support SOEC and this website.

Tire Rack Wheel Clearance

When you buy one Valeo® ULTIMATE™ Wiper Blade from Tire Rack, you'll get one free!

Dunlop $50 Rebate


| SOEC.ORG | ABOUT SOEC | MEMBERSHIP | SHOWROOM | LITERATURE | VEHICLE PRODUCTION | THE SALEEN TRADER | SALEEN AUTOMOTIVE | CONTACT SOEC | SOEC @ FACEBOOK |


All Original Content Copyright © 1991-2021 Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club, LLC (SOEC). All Rights Reserved.
SOEC is the official independent, non-profit organization for owners and enthusiasts of vehicles by Steve Saleen and Saleen Automotive, Inc.