The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Default Kenne bell boost a pump, do you have one?

Hi, I just ordered a Kenne Bell 20 Amp. Boost A Pump. I have been wanting to upgrade the fuel sys for some time now. I have done some research on fuel pumps as well as the Kenne Bell sys. I think the kenne bell sys is the way to go. Regardless if I change the pump or not, if its not running at 100% when you need it most your car can run lean. Is anybody using this sys please let me know how its been working for you. Thanx
Muzzy 2004 281SC convertible #355
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Ported and Polished SC by PSE
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
Chicane SS braded IC lines
SS Rear bumper inlays
Carbon fiber dash kit and shift knob
1 bottle of water wetter
Old 08-17-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Yeah I have one on my 04 Cobra. Works like a champ. I had to put #60 injectors in it too but with that size injector, I only had to run the BAP at 25-30% voltage. My fuel pumps are way understressed at that range and I have a 11.8 air/fuel ratio til redline on the car.
17 F150 Supercrew...5.0 stock...DD
Old 08-17-2010

Using it on my stock fuel pump and it works just fine. Had to get it because the stock fuel pump maxes out at 300rwhp. Should support me up to 400rwhp...But i'll be going to a 255 pump soon. The pump is alot louder when first turning the car on. :D
Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Hi, I just ordered a Kenne Bell 20 Amp. Boost A Pump. I have been wanting to upgrade the fuel sys for some time now. I have done some research on fuel pumps as well as the Kenne Bell sys. I think the kenne bell sys is the way to go. Regardless if I change the pump or not, if its not running at 100% when you need it most your car can run lean. Is anybody using this sys please let me know how its been working for you. Thanx
Which fuel pump are you using now?

SimiSaleen
Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Thanx for all the replies, also Im using the stock GT pump. I think thats all I need to run 400rwhp.
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
SS Rear bumper inlays
1 bottle of water wetter

Last edited by muzzy; 08-17-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: spaceing
Old 08-17-2010

Quote:
Thanx for all the replies, also Im using the stock GT pump. I think thats all I need to run 400rwhp.

Theres no way your just using the stock GT pump with the mods you have. You would be running crazy lean at 3K rpms and blowing up the motor at 5500. You should be around 370-380 rwhp with sig mods unless the car is only sitting and not drivable att.
Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:

The stock pump is strained trying to provide enough fuel to your motor. You need a larger fuel pump!
Old 08-17-2010
SOEC Member

Car runs fine and I take up to 6000 rpms all the time. I have been doing some reading and the kenne bell sys will make my stock pump work 50% better. I will get the car dyno tuned after I put the kenne bell boost a pump on. I was doing this just to be safe, but what you guys are saying, its more than needed. I will keep my foot out of it until I get the kenne bell sys on my car. I guess i've been lucky up to this point. Thanx
42#
JLT cold air
JDM SCT 93 oct tune
90mm maf
75mm TB
Mosaleen pulley sys
Gaterback belt
NGK tr6 @034
2.9 pulley
SS Rear bumper inlays
1 bottle of water wetter
Old 08-19-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

I put in a fuel pump made for the Ford GT and it fixed all of my air/fuel issues. I think I got it for like 110 bucks, not sure how much your boost a pump thing is, but its another option.
Old 08-19-2010
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default careful who tunes it...

Hi all. I thought I'd chime in... I had a Series II setup on my '99 GT. Put on Patriot Heads, Comp Cams, 66mm pulley, and cold air setup with a series IV inlet, and instead of dropping the tank to change pumps thought I'd give the KB BAP a try. Got the car to a tuner in San Diego when I lived there, and told them about the KB as well as where to adjust it if necessary. Repeatedly got calls saying I was running out of fuel, and paid for a Focus fuel pump to be installed.

The dyno operator had disconnected the vacuum line going to the actuator switch (jumper the wires for full time operation to save the headache of that switch, connections like to corrode / get loose) to plug into for manifold vacuum / boost readings on the dyno.

Not impressed to say the least with that guy, but got a good discount and am glad I had the focus pump for the times the pressure switch acted up.