The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Saleen Enthusiast Events > South
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

South Topics for events and get-togethers in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana & Mississippi.

Old 09-22-2010
SOEC Member

Default The Texas Mile! - October 22-24, 2010

Folks, it's almost time again for the biannual event that is the most fun you can have in a Saleen (well almost...)

This event has been running for seven years now and for the first time, both the waiting list and the registration lists are both full! So it is unlikely that anyone that isn't already registered or on the now closed waiting list will be able to run, as was the case in the past. Still, if you love cars this event is unlike any other I have been to. You have a weekend of cars and bikes running full out for a mile down an old runway, with a 1/2 mile shutdown and an official set of traps to record the fun.

It isn't really a race, as you run individually, it is more of a personal challenge, man and machine. Sure you get to compare your times, but it is about pushing it and having fun. If you get the chance to go to Goliad, TX this October 22-24 you'll get to see rare and exotics running and (like the Ferraris) some just for show. From 1300 RWHP Lambo Gallardos to Rat Rods with Blown big blocks, there is something for everyone.

Now, there are always a bunch of Shelby Mustangs, and lots of Vettes, but only one Saleen has run as far as I know. I even saw one Roush show up this past Spring. I have met several other Saleen Owners at the Mile, and I encourage you to check it out and maybe I can have the chance to see some other Saleen run!

www.TexasMile.net

Where else can you legally and (somewhat safely) wind it out?
Old 10-05-2010
SOEC Member

I would love to sign up for this..maybe I can get into the mix for next years??
Old 10-05-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD KNX View Post
I would love to sign up for this..maybe I can get into the mix for next years??
It happens twice a year! March and October. This will be my third trip as I was there back in March as crew for some non-Saleen friends.

Michael
Old 10-15-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I'm planning on attending on Sunday, since I'm planning on going to the saleens invade san antonion on friday and saturday, I'm still debating on what I want to do that weekend, my wife will be coming with me, she wants to bring her 07 charger srt8 out and drive both cars, lol, we'll most likely just go in the saleen, hope to see you guys there!
Old 10-16-2010
SOEC Member

Hope you make it out. I have run into an issue with tires for the back being out of stock in the Nitto Invo's everywhere in the dang country.

Anybody know of a place with a pair of 315/35ZR20 Invo's or NT05's in a 315 or a 305 let me know, I prefer the Invo's but I need a new pair before the trip.
Old 10-18-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Ok so now I'm leaning more towards the mile all weekend, are you leaving with a caravan? I'm guessing you liked the event since this is your third time going, I guess my deciding factor is that I don't really want to get to the san antonio event late friday and just stay saturday and go home sunday, I'll decide for sure tomorrow, lol!

You can fit 315s on the stock rims? I have 305s nitto 555r drag radials,didnt have much of a problem getting them from discount tires.
Old 10-19-2010
SOEC Member

I could get 555R's in a 305, but the speed rating is a problem, (not to mention the 100 treadwear!) My car is a daily driver and I need the high mileage 260 treadwear rating!

I was looking at a set of NT05's but the only set I could find was from a guy on E-bay that did not respond as of yesterday, when I asked for a better picture of the tread. So I found two places that had a couple 295/35 Invo's. Not what I wanted, size wise, but I needed the tires this week, and all the other sourcs dried up for the proper speed rated tires.

The 315 will fit with the right brand and model of tire. The 555R is I think a little wider than the Invo and NT05 (which are equivalent to the Pirelli Rosso's in dimension from what I have found). The Dunlop RFT Sportmaxx, rub slightly as they are a little more of a square tread. They are crap for traction though as evidenced by the high volume of trade in used tires you can find. I checked them out on another Saleen owners car recently, and there is only the smallest evidence of rubbing, but it's a traction issue.

I actually wanted the 305 Invo, but they jump from 295 to 315 and the latter are like unicorns right now so I am splitting the width gain halfway from the stock 275. My hope is they will hook sufficiently for my application.

As for the Mile, My friends and I are meeting early (7:00am) in Goliad. Some are staying Friday night, I am going to drive in Sat due to other activities.

I think the San Antonio event looks like a great time, and those guys are great. You will get more curvy roads in SA, and you would most likely not be able to run your car at this late date in Goliad. You won't go wrong either way, but SA will be more interactive I think.

I like hanging out with all the different speed freaks and mixing around in the paddocks and staging grid with all the participants. It helps if you have some friends to pal around with, especially if they have a camper with a bathroom!

Michael
Old 10-25-2010
SOEC Member

Okay, the weekend was good fun with lots of good people. I met a couple guys with Saleen's while I was down there, but there were no others in attendance.

It was hot around 90 all weekend with 20-40 MPH cross/headwinds. Sunday it shifted a little to a straight cross wind, but all the cars were impeded by the heat and the wind. I saw cars that I watched run in March down 20-30 MPH based on conditions.

Lots of good people out there and there was even a Ferarri that ran with his twin Turbo v-12. That machine was smokin' fast. The driver claimed a 220 speed at the 3/4 marker, but dropped it down below 190 for the traps since he didn't pass the 190 Tech inspection (no roll bar installed).

The excitement of the weekend was from a run made by one of the twin turbo Gallardos that pop his chute after a 235 pass in the high wind and got janked sideways going off road and flipping a couple times. The driver was okay according to some of his friends and was spending the rest of the weekend in the hospital for observation with just bumps and bruises. That is why they require a roll bar setup above 190!

There are some pictures floating around and even some video. I just saw the dust in the air and the scramble of the fire crews from my location.

A turbo 'Busa ran 278 MPH early Sunday morning before the heat and the wind picked up setting a new bike record at the Mile.

A blown/Nitrous 'vette ran a new 'vette record of 216, while my buddy ran his Z06 blown 'vette to 215.1 without using the nitrous. These cars have so much power, they are halfway into fourth before they can hammer it! A shredded belt left that run to be my friends last for the weekend as the tuners went back to the drawing board to solve the belt shredding issue.

This was by far the most crowded event I have been too, with both the registration and waiting list being full and closed in 37 hours! Still a great time was had by many with the NASATX folks that put on the event getting better at it every time they host.
Old 10-25-2010
SOEC Member

So what were your runs?
Old 10-26-2010
SOEC Member

http://hybred.smugmug.com/Texas-Mile

Here are some pics of the fun this weekend. The photogs were pros and they did some good work, but I am only providing the link...
Old 10-26-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

did you see Richard Holts UGR SL run?

i am glad he walked away, could have been fatal.
Old 10-27-2010
SOEC Member

I was at the grid when he ran so all I saw was the dust. The guy standing next to me was facing downtrack and saw the debris in the air. A few minutes later the trck officials came by to tell us he was okay.

There are a bunch of opinions on what happened, and I hope we get a real answer so the other 250 MPH cars don't make the same mistake. That is why all the cars running over 190 have mandatory additional equipment, not the least of which is a proper rollcage. Going that fast is risky, so if your gonna do it, mitigate all you can.
Old 10-27-2010
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikol02 View Post
I was at the grid when he ran so all I saw was the dust. The guy standing next to me was facing downtrack and saw the debris in the air. A few minutes later the trck officials came by to tell us he was okay.

There are a bunch of opinions on what happened, and I hope we get a real answer so the other 250 MPH cars don't make the same mistake. That is why all the cars running over 190 have mandatory additional equipment, not the least of which is a proper rollcage. Going that fast is risky, so if your gonna do it, mitigate all you can.
he already went 250mph earlier this year in the same car.

here is the 250mph video....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afh9g...layer_embedded

here is the video of the crash....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1NU...layer_embedded
Old 10-27-2010
SOEC Member

I was there for that too...March is going to bring more records. I would expect all the big money guys to bring the cars back with improvements and March is cooler and less windy, so everybody runs faster...