The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Detailing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Detailing Interior & Exterior Car Care discussions sponsored by Mothers Polishes-Waxes-Cleaners.

Old 11-28-2011
SOEC Member

Question Q: Leather Care?

Has anyone found a good product for the seats? I use the leather wipes that provide a good shine but when you sit in the seat it usully winds up on my clothes
Old 11-28-2011
SOEC Member

Thanks for the info. Has anyone tried adams leather polish and cleaner?

Last edited by Stanghungry; 11-29-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2011
SOEC Member

Lexol for the leather seats.
Old 11-29-2011
Administrator

Mothers has several products for leather, including a dedicated cleaner and conditioner that I'll match against Lexol.

Mothers also has VLR - a Vinyl-Leather-Rubber cleaner/conditioner that cleans very well, is easy to use (spray on a towel, wipe and buff), and does not leave the finish greasy. I'll be glad to send you, 06saleen281, a sample if you'd like. It's got neatsfoot oil and lanolin for leather and protects against drying, fading and cracking in one simple step.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 11-29-2011
SOEC Member

Jim, I would like to get a sample. I like the greasy look at shows but don't like having it all over my clothes on the drive home after the show.
Old 11-29-2011
SOEC Member

Anything that makes your seats look dark black again , like new?
Old 12-01-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedS281SC View Post
Anything that makes your seats look dark black again , like new?
Conditioning frequently all of the surfaces in a convertible is especially essential because of extreme exposure.

In a coupe, UV filters on the glass help protect the finishes, so you'll always see more need for conditioning on convertible interiors, assuming the top is down often, which is usually the case.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 12-01-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Conditioning frequently all of the surfaces in a convertible is especially essential because of extreme exposure.

In a coupe, UV filters on the glass help protect the finishes, so you'll always see more need for conditioning on convertible interiors, assuming the top is down often, which is usually the case.
Jim is right.
I bought my 04(convertible) in 2007 and noticed cracking in the lumbar part of the drivers seat. I started to use Zaino's right away. And to be honest - it works great!
I used it on my - then new Trailblazer SS and I have very little cracking or wear. I used it every 4 to 6 months and honestly. Its so easy to use. I feel like a dumby.
Old 12-01-2011
SOEC Member

I had a friend tell me he had great results using the Chemicalguys.
I had never heard of them so I ordered This.
(helps that its on sale...lol)

Ill let you know how it works.
Old 12-01-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I usually use Meguiars or Mother's leather conditioner. Both seem to work well without any greasy residue. I always get compliments on my seats and how good they look, and are wrinkle and crack free.
Old 12-02-2011
SOEC Member (Inactive)

I use the Mothers Leather Cleaner and the Leather Conditioner. Both work great.
Old 12-13-2011
SOEC Member

ok I received today the mothers leather cleaner, mother leather conditioner and the mother VLR vinyl leather rubber cleaner.

I wanted to know what products should be used on the seats first second and third to get the best look.
Old 12-13-2011
Administrator

You use whatever product or combination of products that work for your needs, depending on how clean or dirty or how dry your leather appears or how much time you have.

The individual Leather Cleaner and Leather Conditioner products let you decide how much cleaning and how much conditioning you use. Use just the conditioner, or clean first and then condition.

For general purpose care, try the VLR which both cleans and conditions, and if you want more conditioning you can try the dedicated product.

Some of this is based on need and personal preference. The Leather Conditioner will tend to leave leathers a little slick, and some people don't like that. You can always buff it off gently with a lightly dampened plush cotton terry.

A convertible car that sees more air and sun will generally need more conditioning and might appreciate the dedicated Leather Conditioner a little more often.

Keep in mind that leather wears, so keeping it clean and conditioned from the beginning is important, but you will always get a natural patina over time and with use.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 12-19-2011
Banned

Theres tons of products out there, most of which will actually do damage to your seats. (Depending on the quality of leather and chemicals used in its coating) All that PH balance stuff does make a difference. If your seats are drying out, i took a hint from a bunch of ranch handlers (cowboys) in wyoming. noticing they seem to take pretty great care of there leather saddles, chaps, belts ..well everything. They told me (and i have used) Olive oil, and coconut oil. and trust me it works very well. making dry leather soft again. basicly replenishing the natural oils still in the fiber. those leather cloths does nothing but dryout your seats.
Old 12-19-2011
Administrator

Leather saddles, chaps, belts, etc. are unfinished leathers and are very different leathers than the leathers used in vehicles.

Vehicle leather, such as those in Saleen Mustangs and modern mainstream vehicles should be treated with automotive leather products or as recommended by the manufacturer.

Generally accepted and proven automotive leather conditioners are neat's-foot oil and lanolin. I would say anything not intended for automotive leather would be an experiment.

I should also point out that you can clean too often, but you pretty much can't condition often enough.

Use a dedicated cleaner only when necessary, and when conditioning alone doesn't do the job.

Use a combination cleaner/conditioner product when convenience is important.
Old 03-13-2012
SOEC Member

I was going to start a thread on this and saw this one so I'll jump in. I have been freaking out about my leather lately I noticed on the front of the driver seat it's starting to get a little worn I do not want this to continue or worsen. I have used the Maguiars cleaner/conditioner a few times over last 2 years. But was afraid of using too often. I see it is recommended to only clean when needed? When is that? Lol mine gets dusty but it's dark in color so its never noticeably dirty. That I can tell anyway. So maybe I should just be conditioning? And how often is too much conditioning also? My car is a convertible and sits at shows in summer with top down. I would put towels over seats but I don't like the way that looks.

Does anyone put some type of cover over seat while driving? Would that help slow the seats from getting worn? I will have to buy a separate cleaner and conditioner. So what product works the best and is the safest? What do you do when you go to a couple shows a week? Don't want to spray stuff on them that often right? Just wipe them down with damp cloth or just dry cloth?
Old 03-13-2012
SOEC Member

I really don't think anything will help. All you can do is keep the leather conditioned. Jim mentions tha tthe mothers conditioner and I have it and it works great but I still have marks on the driverside seat.
Old 03-13-2012

I use this:
Old 03-21-2012
SOEC Member

Duragloss Leather Conditioner #221 is the best in my opinion followed by some weekly Leather Dressing Spray #201. I have been detailing cars professionally for 24 years now and these will leave your leather soft and not greasy or slick and still give it a good shine and appeal. Also the Conditioner will not dry white in cracks and crevices...it all soaks in really good and leaves your car smelling like natural leather.
Attached Images

03 S281SC Coupe #03-0081 Series IV SC, Chicane Pulley, Intercooled, JLT CAI, 42lb. Injectors, Diablosport MAFia, Ford Supercar GT Fuel Pump, Magnaflow Exhaust, Brembo 13" brake package, 3.27 gears, MaxGrip, Tri-Ax Shifter, Racecraft Suspension, 18X9 and 18x10 Chrome Saleen Wheels w 275/35/18 Nittos, Saleen Leather Seat Package and Saleen Pedals 370 RWHP / 405 RWTQ Tuned by Dan Desio @ Pro-Dyno - Fort Mill, SC
Old 04-21-2012
Account with Invalid Email

I started using the Meguiars gold leather care, it makes my seats look great and it actually smells pretty good too.
Old 03-29-2014
SOEC Member

I was eager to find a product that blackened up a dull/ faded interior, and I found a keeper. I went to a local bike show (Harley style) and I noticed just about EVERYONE was using the same product on their saddle bags, seats, chaps, boots, jackets, and anything else that was black. Doc Bailey's leather black is AMAZING. After one application, I had brand new looking and smalling leather again. There was no residue, stickiness, or high gloss. About fifteen minutes after I buffed the seats with the cloth, I put on a white T-shirt and shorts and went and sat in the car and moved around a bit "testing" the finish. My white outfit stayed white without any black whatsoever! I HIGHLY recommend you trying their leather black formula

https://www.leatherclear.com/cgi-bin/store/pid_01.htm

http://youtu.be/Km8OV-pWlG0
Mirror Caps, MRT Hood Struts, JLT Catch Can, Kooks LT Headers & Catted X, JLT Series 3 CAI, Bosch Injectors, HTO Plugs, 3.4 Pulley, KB Boost-A-Pump, SCT X3 Tuned by BRENSPEED, Chicane Brace, Pioneer AVH-P8400BH, White Extreme Splitter & Diffuser, MGW Shifter, Raptor Shift Light, 6K HIDs & LEDs, Stealth Bulbs, Steeda X-Brace, Corsa Sport Mufflers, Whiteline Watts Link & Rear Sway Bar, Slotted Rotors Front & Rear, 281 Grille, Dipstick, & Radiator Cover, GT500 Fan
Old 03-31-2014

Leather Honey for restoration, Surf City for weekly maintenance. And the secret is to weekly maintain. The leather rear seat in mine is like buttah!
Old 03-31-2014

Restoration.

Daily maintenance.

And the old tried and true. I have carried this in my car detail bag for many years.

Old 04-09-2014
SOEC Member

I like Mother's Leather Tech for my seats. It leaves the seats conditioned with the greasy look. Doesn't come off easy after you sit on the seats. Use the foaming wash then the leather tech.
Old 06-25-2016
Saleen Forums Participant

Chemical guys leather cleaner and conditioner combo.
Old 03-02-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

I highly recommend Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner and Conditioner.