The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 12-13-2018
Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Member Looking For Some Information

Hey all, long time enthusiast, but never been an owner. I've owned 8 Mustangs over the years of every generation except the Fox Body and Mustang II.

Finally reached a point in my life where I can afford a car I drooled over all through HS. (Yes I'm that old.)

I have been searching for about a month or so, and am looking for a driver, not a show car or trailer queen. I don't think I could handle the responsibility of a car like that.

This one is for sale in my area, I have reached out to the owner and am waiting to hear back, wondering if anyone know it, or if it belongs to any of you. Would like to know more about it.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto...751250830.html

Thanks for the help.
Chuck
Old 12-13-2018
SOEC Member

Seems like an interesting car, but pretty extensively modified (could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for). The interior looks like there is nothing original from 87, not even the door panels (87 would not have "map pockets"). Seats (generally) originally would have been Flo-Fit gray, beige SUPER rare red. Saleen didnt remove the back seat either in 87. Also if you were not aware, Saleen didnt do any serious engine mods until 89 (SSC). SC's were not added until 90 if I recall. If anyone has the "book" handy, they can look up the bumper number with the VIN, and can provide some info as to how it was when built (does not look like it is finished in its original color). The dash plaque, 5 lugs, and rear disc brakes do strongly support that it is a Saleen.

So If your looking for what might be a fun fox body to drive and enjoy, might be a nice car. If you were looking for an original Saleen, not sure this would be your best choice.

Lastly, welcome to the forum! Hope you find what you are looking for, and then share it with us!

Last edited by Specracer; 12-13-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specracer View Post
Seems like an interesting car, but pretty extensively modified (could be good or bad depending on what you are looking for). The interior looks like there is nothing original from 87, not even the door panels (87 would not have "map pockets"). Seats (generally) originally would have been Flo-Fit gray, beige SUPER rare red. Saleen didnt remove the back seat either in 87. Also if you were not aware, Saleen didnt do any serious engine mods until 89 (SSC). SC's were not added until 90 if I recall. If anyone has the "book" handy, they can look up the bumper number with the VIN, and can provide some info as to how it was when built (does not look like it is finished in its original color). The dash plaque, 5 lugs, and rear disc brakes do strongly support that it is a Saleen.

So If your looking for what might be a fun fox body to drive and enjoy, might be a nice car. If you were looking for an original Saleen, not sure this would be your best choice.

Lastly, welcome to the forum! Hope you find what you are looking for, and then share it with us!

I can’t thank you enough for all the information. I knew the engine was not supercharged from Saleen, and suspected the front seats looked a little different, but had no idea how much else was changed.

I still haven’t heard from the seller, so we’ll see what he has to say about all the mods.

Based on what you’re saying, you’re absolutely right, it. May be a great driver, but seems like a lot of the original Saleen is gone.

The other likely deal breaker is it appears it won’t pass smog out here in California. The open breather is not allowed, which is an easy fix, but dollars to donuts it’s missing cats too.

Thank you so much for the help, the search continues.

C

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018
Administrator

Hi. 87-0123 has been passed around throughout 2018. Maybe have went through 2-3 owners and traveled the country. I don't know this vehicles history or why no one is keeping the car for longer than a few months or weeks.

Just something you should be aware of.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 12-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Hi. 87-0123 has been passed around throughout 2018. Maybe have went through 2-3 owners and traveled the country. I don't know this vehicles history or why no one is keeping the car for longer than a few months or weeks.

Just something you should be aware of.

Welcome to the forums!

Well that’s a huge red flag. Combined with the fact the seller didn’t return a text or email answering a few basic questions (Like be Vin) I’m out.

Thank you guys so much for the help.

C

Old 12-16-2018

I know a little history of this car. It was originally white. A person in Houston bought it for cheap because the motor was toast along with the paint. I'm sure I could still find the ad cached somewhere but he bought it for $4500 about a decade ago. He did a color change to red (if you look at the pictures of the foot pedals you can see white under the dash/center console). He put some nice saleen parts on it (intake, speedline wheels, etc) and did a color swap on the interior to black. It was a nice well cared for car even though it had a rough history. The owner in Houston sold to a guy in NY who had it maybe only a year or 2. He recently sold it and at this point I'm not sure if it's traded hands once or twice since the NY owner sold it. I think it's had 2 owners since then. I do know it the NY owner sold it within the past 6 months. What's interesting is that it trades hands and immediately comes right back up for sale for the same price each time. My guess is that the car is a nice 20 footer but a little more used when seen up close in person.
Old 12-16-2018

You guys are the best. Thank you for the information. Way too many red flags with this car.

On a side note, I don’t know the current owner, but he failed to respond to some really basic questions in an email. Then ignored texts with similar questions.

Feels like this car has had a rough life and deserved much better.