The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-08-2013
SOEC Member

Default Info: Intercooler Flow Test - Continued

The Jabsco pump arrived today. I duplicated the first test exactly as I tested the Boush and Meziere. Same 3/4 hoses same bucket, same heat exchanger, and same power source.

This pump if off the charts. It pump 5 gallons in 28 seconds drawing 8 amps.

The second test I added a twist for more resistance. The output tube from the heat exchanger I doubled in length and went straight up 8 feet. The pump flowed 5 gallons in 38 seconds. I was hoping for 7 to 8 gallons, I never figured I would get 10 gallons.

Now I got this pump new old stock. It is a marine pump so it is really built. The part number is 18510-0020. The replacement pump for this is part number 50840-0012 is is made by Jabsco. I would call them and see if these have the same flow rating and amp rating. I paid $132.00 for this pump. The impeller is made of bronze and is massive. I have included photos of the pump, the impeller, the test shots, and look at the flow out the the heater hose going to the roof line. I may get a chance this weekend to install it.

Thanks,

Wyatt
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2013
SOEC Member

I also found this on the web:
http://www.pumpvendor.com/Jabsco_18510-0020.html
Old 06-08-2013
SOEC Member

Can the water be sent through the intercooler too fast, not allowing for sufficient time to passively cool the fluid?
Old 06-08-2013
SOEC Member

If you had a pump that could circulate fast enough, This may be true. The folks at Lingenfelter told me on the phone, that pumps available to us, would not circulate the water to quickly. They stated the faster the water moves the better. I am sure there will be a handful of folks on this site who will try a pump change and see what happens. If you are going to change to a high flow pump, I would not do it without changing to a larger resavoir tank like the JPC or Moroso battery tank. The Moroso tank holds 3/4 of a gallon of water and I just picked one up at American Muscle for:

14409 - Moroso Aluminum Universal Supercharger Coolant Tank (05-10 All)
$144.99

If your driving in conditions that are cool, or rarely get on the car I would leave it stock. My IAT's temp during a track session will reach 175 degrees. I will then take a couple coaster laps and let it cool. When normal street driving here in the mid 90's, the IAT's will stay around 110 degree's. In the winter when it is in the 50's or 60's the needle does not move. This link below will share some info on Water flow circulation & Jabso pumps. Look for in the article "looking for a chargecooler pump"

http://www.mez.co.uk/turbo13.html
Old 06-08-2013
SOEC Member

For those running a JLT cai with a saleen sc this is a nice option and fits great?
http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-...reservoir.html
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.
Old 06-08-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Just wanted to thank the OP and others contributing to this - and the original - post. I just moved to the high desert here in SoCal so the ambient temps will be rising to well over 100 degrees for sustained periods. Without benefit of this kind of detail, I've been on the fence regarding the Meziere solution. Thanks to all because I'm definitely going with the JPC reservoir/Jabsco pump once we get more input from the install.

Just my .02 - I'm given to understand that the Jabsco pump is a non-self priming pump. If that is true then I think it's important to remember that because the pump's impeller has to have water flooded into the suction piping (a pump is not very effective at moving air or vapor) no part of the system prior to the input should be below the input (this means the reservoir and bends in the total length of hose from the reservoir to the input of the pump). Otherwise, when the pump is turned off, gravity may pull the fluid to a point below the input of the pump which could cause havoc to the entire S/C system if the fluid is not flowing or air is introduced into it when the pump is turned on again. I could be wrong and any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-08-2013
SOEC Member

Remember your reservoir is directly overhead and feeding the inbound side of the pump. When I fired the test up yesterday, water was pumped immediately out. I got a great deal on a new JPC tank powder coated black and never used. Shoot me a message if you are interested.

Thanks,

Wyatt
Old 06-09-2013
SOEC Member

Pump is in, and flowing like a bat out of purgatory. The old bracket would not work, and I did not want to destroy it making it work.
I made a bracket from sheet of aluminum 10.5" x 5" wide. Took no more than 30 minutes to cut, drill, and attach. The pump is very quiet, and no vibrations.

Now to put the rest of the car back together and take for a spin.

Wyatt
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2013

Question: Was the wiring of the pump just a simple splice from the existing electrical wires to the pump connector?
Old 06-09-2013
SOEC Member

Yes it was. The Jabsco pump used the same diameter wire as the bosch pump. I just took the car out for 90 minute drive around town, Lots of traffic, and then jumped on the freeway for 10 miles. The IAT gauge stayed around 128 degrees. The temp in the Valley today was 91 degrees. When I opened the reservoir and put my finger in the tank it was barely warm at best. I won't know until we hit the track again. Also, does anyone know how accurate the boost and Iat gauge are?

Thanks,

Wyatt
Old 06-10-2013
SOEC Member

For some reference it was 98 degrees today and my iat's were hovering between 125-135 in city driving. I have a non fanned AFCO / Lethal IC tank and the stock IC pump. My HE is flipped over and sits behind the upper grill ( clears the lower grill for brake cooling ducts) which blocks some air flow from the HE. I'm looking into using the large HE for the edelbrock supercharger as it will slide between the radiator and condensor, and a better IC pump.
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.
Old 06-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06SaleenExtreme View Post
Yes it was. The Jabsco pump used the same diameter wire as the bosch pump. I just took the car out for 90 minute drive around town, Lots of traffic, and then jumped on the freeway for 10 miles. The IAT gauge stayed around 128 degrees. The temp in the Valley today was 91 degrees. When I opened the reservoir and put my finger in the tank it was barely warm at best. I won't know until we hit the track again. Also, does anyone know how accurate the boost and Iat gauge are?

Thanks,

Wyatt
Hey Wyatt! Anything new on the pump? Any source where i can get one? I saw that link where it has been discontinued..
Old 06-10-2013

Also Wyatt, do you have any info on the pump that replaced the Centri-puppy? The Jabsco 50840-0012
Old 06-10-2013
SOEC Member

Hey Oren,

Check out this link. Compare the spec sheet on this pump under load wit the pumps in the Lingerfelter study. It also lists mounting, assembly, etc.

Wyatt

http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/file...43000_0820.pdf
Old 07-15-2019
Saleen Forums Participant

Just picked up this pump today. Instructions say “If mounted vertically, ensure the motor is above the pump head.” It looks like yours is not, as it is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
2EA463C1-E9ED-4149-BCEF-47F7C2FF40B7.jpg