The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-18-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Replacement rear brakes?

Last year I purchased my first muscle car, number 735 of 2002. 1 owner, she purchased it new in 02. My hope is to get it back to where it once was. It has 125,000 miles and she changed the rims and it needs a top, etc.

I brought it to a local Ford dealer by I figured you can’t bring it to just any shop. I’m new to this area and I think the dealer was a big mistake. My complaint was a hard brake pedal and a cut emergency brake cable and 5,000 estimate later it is back in my garage.

Long story short, I am going to start with replacing the rear calipers, brake lines, pads and rotors and try to figure out why they cut the brake cable to free up the rears. I’m thinking there must be shoes that seized up.

The car sat in my garage for 8 months due to unfortunate circumstances so I want to start putting this car back on the road one thing at a time.

I’m looking to know what is that fulll rear brake setup and where I can get the parts. I need a ton of other stuff but I’m going to stop acting like a newbie.
Old 06-19-2019
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Rear Brakes

Hello there and welcome. A good option is to actually get stock GT brakes...either New Old Stock or some good replacements with new pads. If you are having trouble with the brake pedal I would do a full brake refresh, inspect for pinched lines etc, make sure your calipers slide freely on the brackets (slides-cleaned and greased). I recently did a full brake upgrade, and the good part about that is I was able to service everything and bleed all the way around, including the master cylinder. Good part about my 2002 and yours, you can bleed the M.S. without removing from car since you actually have 2 bleeders on the side of it, but do you H.W. as this worked for me, but maybe not for you depending on your M.S. and booster condition.

Plenty of videos online for bleeding brakes and M.S. One caveat, brakes are the most important part of your car, that and the wheels not falling off. If you are not familiar with this type of servicing, then I would have a professional do it...for which any good brake service shop can do this for you, not for 5K ha. I believe the mustang part sites also sell the brakes and e-brake cables new. Good Luck let us know what you come up with.
Old 06-20-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks DS, I didn’t know you could use stock GT setup. My buddy is a mechanic, I wanted to get all the parts before I bugged him. Is going direct to Ford the best way to get the parts?

I want to make this car a reliable, stock as possible driver. Therefore I want to make as much new as necessary.
Old 06-26-2019

Default Rear Brakes

Yes, Saleen did not touch the rear brakes even with the brake upgrade as those were limited to the front brakes. If the previous owner upgraded the rear brakes that is a different story. But yes, stock rear brakes will work for you.
Old 07-22-2019
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Thanks DS, I didn’t know you could use stock GT setup. My buddy is a mechanic, I wanted to get all the parts before I bugged him. Is going direct to Ford the best way to get the parts?

I want to make this car a reliable, stock as possible driver. Therefore I want to make as much new as necessary.

How's the replacement? Did you go with stock GT? We'll be working on buddy's 2001 right after we finished installing the new brake kit and nexen tires on the current Wrangler project.
Old 08-13-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Just got back in town, went to the local Ford dealer, because I’m a newbie and got prices and part numbers to replace everything, calipers, rotors, etc. for front and rear with ABS sensors was around 1500. They said the rubber brake lines are obsolete, go aftermarket.

Any thoughts on Summit Racing parts? Are they OEM? They say they are motorcraft parts and pretty decent savings.

I do need to know what shocks,struts, and tires I should use to make this a good driver. My research tells me American Muscle makes the original style chrome rims that came with the car.

Thanks in advance for ANY help I can get
Old 08-13-2019

Default rear brakes and susp equip

A good source of parts that are budget friendly would be ebay or summit. If I were going to get new or refurb stuff for a good driver, I would get refreshed GT brakes front and back or get cobra front brakes and keep the rear as GT. If you go cobra in the rear you have to change the mounting plates and anti-moan brace which not really worth it unless you have a nice budget. With Cobra front brakes it is direct bolt on you just need to get the fine thread banjo bolts for your lines and calipers and 13 inch rotors. You can get some used OEM lines for pretty cheap. Saw a set on ebay from a low mile GT for about 30 bucks front and rear. Or you can get some goodridge lines those are pretty good but I believe you can only get front...not rear. The ss lines that are sold on the mustang aftermarket sites are all good options. Most aftermarket shocks and struts will work. I would try and get a set of bilsteins all the way around for gt fitment and I think eibach even has some as well.

Also, was the 1500 for everything out the door installed? May not be such a terrible price in that it is a pain to get the car up, old stuff taken out, clean up areas, install new stuff and bleed the system. I'd probably pay that. On my recent brake project, I was able to do it myself over the course of a few Saturdays, but kind of a pain.

Let us know what you do I am curious.

Last edited by DarkStallion; 08-13-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

That’s great info. I’m not going to change mounting plates or any of that. I will look into the Cobra fronts if the only Chang is getting different bolts.

The 1500 is just parts,this whole mess started by the dealer was looking for 5000 to get me rolling, which is not worth putting into the car. I have a mechanic buddy who is really good and said get the parts and we can do it together.

Is the motor raft stuff OEM? When I reference the Ford part number, I get a Summit part number which comes back to a Motorcraft part.

God, I must sound like such a rookie!!!!!!