The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 03-31-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Pulley Swap

I was woundering if anyone could tell me the limit on the amount of psi the 3v block, in the RC, can handle. I've decided to void the warranty and upgrade the pulley on the supercharger. I'm considering around 9-11 psi to try and keep it safe. Any suggestions?
Old 03-31-2009
SOEC Member

Right now I believe we're at around 4-5psi. A 3.8" pulley will bump you about 2-3psi from what I read. I think, but not sure, the 3.4" pulley from Chicane will put you in the 10-11psi range. A guy out here ran his 06 Mustang with a Kenne Bell and ran 10psi all day long. I'm sure the block can handle it, but its not something I would do unless the car was just a weekend car.

Edit: I'm sure you know, but I'll say it anyway. You'll also need a retune. The 3.8" pulley can be retuned by Saleen(although with them out of business I'm not sure). If you go smaller, look into Brenspeed or JDM.
Old 03-31-2009

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice. I was considering around a 3.2 pulley. But since it is a DD, I'd have to agree with you and go with less psi. Thanks for the advice. I'm a speed junkie and around here Mustangs are targets.
Old 03-31-2009
SOEC Member

ha, so am I. The power I can get out of this mustang for under $1k would cost me 4x that with my VW. Its unreal. I see why people love them so much. You know that, you had a cobra. Let me know what you end up doing.
Old 03-31-2009

I'll be happy to share. I already have three kills in this car in stock form. 1st K was a S2000 with mods and a turbo. No contest. He was slow of the line. The 2nd was luck. A Subie with mods and 18 psi turbo. I got a car and 1/2 on him and that's all. The 3rd was a Shelby GT-H with Ford Racing mods. I walked pulled away from him as well. I hope thats the last time I'm forced to do that. Sooner or later I'll loose.
Old 04-06-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Mine with the stock tune made 393 to the rear & was a bit lean so if I pully mine Im going to add the GT 500 pumps etc.
Old 04-07-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW Staff View Post
Mine with the stock tune made 393 to the rear & was a bit lean so if I pully mine Im going to add the GT 500 pumps etc.
I was thinking of pushing around 11psi with a 3.2 pulley. Do you think a KB Boost a pump would work as well as the 500 pumps? That way I wouldn't need to go into the tank.
Old 04-07-2009
SOEC Member

Yea, you can do that. JDM recommended not doing the Boost-a-pump since it just ups the voltage but seems like a lot of guys do it. 11psi?! You driving it daily?!
Old 04-07-2009

Yes it's a daily driver. I was thinking about th KB Boost a Pump due to the fact I'd have some control over the gas milage?
Old 04-07-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepngli View Post
Yea, you can do that. JDM recommended not doing the Boost-a-pump since it just ups the voltage but seems like a lot of guys do it. 11psi?! You driving it daily?!

I think the better question is are you into the boost daily?

Talking to JDM or someone as well qualified can give you a free assessment for your driving habits and goals. The beauty of our Superchargers is the internal valving that bypasses boost unless you need it, keeping the engine in a much more conservative place except when you really hammer it.
Old 04-08-2009
SOEC Member

I also added the max pulley allowed when my s/c was installed and I am pushing 11psi with about 460hp to the rear wheels. My car is only a weekend driver and good weather driver..........
Old 04-09-2009

I don't go into boost often, but as I stated earlier my RC is driven daily and I think 11psi would be safe. I average 54 miles roundtrip to work and back (4 times a week) and only about 20miles or so the other 3 days total. The rest of the time is spent in my wifes vehicle. Thanks for the advice and I'll be sure to ask the shop doing the work what they think is best. I might even get Ford to do the the work. The dealership that I purchased the car from is pretty open minded to after market tuning as long as I assume half of any repair issues that might accure.
Old 04-12-2009

Default question

just put a stage 3 saleen and stage 4 inlet on my 07 gt.With the 3.4 pulley and 40 degree inlet it made 452 rwhp and 430 torque.Total timing is 19 degress and was dynoed on a dynojet.At idle the sc is noisey( makes a growling sound,not a whine)Does this sound normal.I have nothing to compare it to.Most everyone in my town run roush's or kenny bell.I also went with the boost a pump.Air fuel is at 12.2Tony
Old 04-13-2009

Craftsman, your #'s sound great for a GT. As for the growling sound of your supercharger, I think it's normal. I had an '03 Terminator that whined (Roots style charger) and now I have an RC with the Saleen (Twin screw) and it makes a similar noise to what you discribed. Don't know why, but it works great with no problems.
Old 04-13-2009

Default s/c sound

Thanks.I am on the mustangs across america tour.Hope to see some saleens with the s/c.I will also be in brimingham al.for the 45th ann.Tony
Old 04-13-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman74066 View Post
Thanks.I am on the mustangs across america tour.Hope to see some saleens with the s/c.I will also be in brimingham al.for the 45th ann.Tony
Is the tour coming through Texas? I can't go to Birmingham, but would love to meet up with the tour.
Old 04-13-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Have fun, take pictures!
Old 04-13-2009

Default s/c

we will be in lewisville,tx tomorrow for lunch at ford country ford.That evening we stop in bossier city la.
Old 04-14-2009

Quote:
we will be in lewisville,tx tomorrow for lunch at ford country ford.That evening we stop in bossier city la.
My son is stationed there at Barksdale Air Base. He saids the area needs a lot of work. I'm leaving for Birmingham this A.M. around 9. I'd like to meet up with you guys there if you know where you'll be. I'm currently in Charleston, SC
Old 04-14-2009

Default Maa

Had supper at 4pm in bossier.Drove to minden to spend the night.Will be in jackson for lunch tomorrow and in birmingham for supper.I am spending wed,thurs,fri and sat in leeds.The American Best Value Inn.Will be at barber motorsports during the day.The car is running great with the new S/C.
Old 04-23-2009
SOEC Member

I was at Birmingham, Al, had a ball. Got to ride go-carts with Steve, Liz, Molley and more. I have the 05-10 Press Car Saleen S/C Satin Silver.
Call Jim Jr. III at JDM Engineering, www.teamjdm.com
he will guide you the right way.
I have the 3.20 JDM system on mine, with the dual fuel pumps in tank, SVT X- cal. II tuner. and my S/C idler pulley system. Without my idler it made 11lbs boost with my idler it made 12 1/4 lbs boost, 53 rwhp and 42 rwtq gain.
Scott
2005 S/C #10 Press Car w/ Scenic Roof
3.20 S/C Pulley & 18% overdrive Crank
Mosaleen S/C no slip idler system
3:73 gears, Watts link Gen II
14" front brakes, slotted rear rotors
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
F-5 Joplin Mo. Tornado surviour 5-22-11.
Old 04-23-2009

I'm from Birmingham, Al. I was home for the 45th Ann Show at Barber Motor Speedway. Had a great time. It was nice to see so many great cars in my hometown. As for my car, I think I'll leave it stock for awhile. Thanks for the info.