The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2008-2009 Racecraft Mustang For discussion of the 2008-09 Racecraft 420S Mustang. Owners of the 2007-08 "Sleeper GT" can also find help here.

Old 08-12-2010

Default GT500 throttle body install - Hood clearance issues?

Has anyone installed a GT500 throttle body on their 420S? Did you have any hood clearance issues?

I have installed a GT500 throttle body on the 420s, in search of a few more horsepower. I'm sticking with the stock CAI for now, so I needed a silicone reducer to get connected to the throttle body. The GT500 TB sits a little higher than the stock TB, especially on the driver's side. Anyway, I started it and seems to run fine, but until I close the hood, I can't do a SOTP dyno check.

I put a dab of vaseline (about 1/2" high) on the higest point of the TB, and dropped the hood down carefully. I think I got it down almost all the way, and when I opened the hood, there was a spot of vaseline on the hood liner. Obvisously I need to proceed cautiously to ensure I can close the hood without denting it. is there any clearance as is? do I need to trim the liner? or it just wont work%!@#$*

If you have a similar experience, please let me know the outcome.

thanks
Old 09-07-2010
SOEC Member

Id just put a 1/4 inch. of vasoline to see if it still hits, call JDM Engineering talk to Jim Jr.
2005 S/C #10 Press Car w/ Scenic Roof
3.20 S/C Pulley & 18% overdrive Crank
Mosaleen S/C no slip idler system
3:73 gears, Watts link Gen II
14" front brakes, slotted rear rotors
Brenspeed 302, 47lb inj, longtubes/ catted H-pipe 570 rwhp 545 rwtq (SAE) 13.5 lbs boost, Afco heat exchanger
F-5 Joplin Mo. Tornado surviour 5-22-11.
Old 09-07-2010
SOEC Member

If it doesn't clear, you can always change out the motor mounts to some of the units sold for the use of CAI with stock hoods. I know several places advertise them. something to think about as a plan "B".
Old 09-15-2010
Account with Invalid Email

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbob49 View Post
Has anyone installed a GT500 throttle body on their 420S? Did you have any hood clearance issues?

I have installed a GT500 throttle body on the 420s, in search of a few more horsepower. I'm sticking with the stock CAI for now, so I needed a silicone reducer to get connected to the throttle body. The GT500 TB sits a little higher than the stock TB, especially on the driver's side. Anyway, I started it and seems to run fine, but until I close the hood, I can't do a SOTP dyno check.

I put a dab of vaseline (about 1/2" high) on the higest point of the TB, and dropped the hood down carefully. I think I got it down almost all the way, and when I opened the hood, there was a spot of vaseline on the hood liner. Obvisously I need to proceed cautiously to ensure I can close the hood without denting it. is there any clearance as is? do I need to trim the liner? or it just wont work%!@#$*

If you have a similar experience, please let me know the outcome.

thanks
I did install it a while back (using my factory hood) and it did make contact with the hood. I had to use lower motor mounts and still had to drill a small hole to the hood (on the bottom portion of the framing of the hood) to make the TB fit. So I did have problems with it. And yes Jim Jr is aware of it. He may be able to give you some hints about it.

Hope this helps.
06Saleen E (#86)