The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-16-2019
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: foxbody splash guards?

Hi Everyone,

I have a question about foxbody wheel splash guards/shields. So my 1988 Saleen is missing its splash guards/shields after the auto repair place (that went out of business) painted my car. In reading about the splash guards/shields, they are no longer be reproduced. The 1988 Saleen has 16" ARE wheels. Sellers on ebay mention that the splash guards/shields differ in size in the 87-90 models than the 91-93's. The reason being the later guards have to accommodate the 16" pony wheels but the Saleens came with 16" wheels which is confusing. My question is what size splash guards/shields did the 1988 Saleens come with? Were they the stock ones that belong on a 1987-90 LX?

Additionally, will a splash guard/shield from a 91-93 Mustang fit into a 1988 Mustang? I am considering that option if one day I come across 17" Stern wheels. Any input from this will help. Thanks
Old 06-17-2019
Administrator

Hi. You will need the stock splash guards for a 1988 Mustang.

Yes, Saleen installed 16" wheels, but they used a low profile tire which was generally close in overall diameter to the stock Mustang 15" wheel and tire.

When Ford installed 16" wheels on Mustang in 1991, Ford also installed a taller tire.
Old 06-17-2019
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The fender is physically different in 91-93, so the splash guard is different to match the fender. 4cyl splash guards work too, there’s no difference from 87-90 when searching the junkyard.