The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Hello: New guy question's

Hello everyone I was yesterday years old when I purchased my first Saleen. 88-0119. It needs some small items fixed/replaced. If anyone can help with following questions below I would be greatful.

1. Where can I get the bumper numbers from the car was repainted and they never replaced them

2. Do I need to custom make saleen door panels mine are stock without the words "saleen mustang" written on them.

3. Can I have the saleen plaque in front of the shifter reproduced from saleen it is also missing?

4. Is SMS interior still the best place to get fabric for my flofit seats?

I really appreciate any help/advice you can give. Thanks lool forward to talking and learning from you guys.
Old 03-08-2020
Administrator

1: Saleen Performance Parts has the exterior serial numbers.
https://www.saleenperformance.com/

2: Stock as in... covered in Ford OE seating material? Or are these covered in the Saleen / FloFit material, but not embroidered? Not all '88s have the embroidered door cards.

3: Saleen Performance Parts can produce the interior serialization plate.
https://www.saleenperformance.com/

4: Probably, yes. If you have local trim shops / fabric houses, you can view their swatch booklets for additional ideas as well.

Congratulations on the purchase!
Old 03-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for the quick reply. I wasnt aware that all door panels didnt have the words embroidered. I appreciate the guidance.
Old 03-08-2020
Administrator

Hi,

88-0119 was assembled around January 1988, this was around the time when vehicles without the embroidered door cards were produced. Your Mustang might be one of these vehicles.

Your 1988 is also an odd vehicle since it was ordered without the power equipment group and without air conditioning.

During this era of Saleen Mustang production, 1985-93, Saleen recommended the power group and A/C (among other equipment) for their conversions.

The Saleen "pool cars" typically had all the equipment.

You may have a niffy "special order" vehicle.

The estimates are, from 1987-89, Saleen Autosport produced 21 "Street Vehicles" without the power group. Fourteen (14) of these were the 1988 Police conversions from/for Damerow Ford. Seven (7) were hatchbacks order by various dealers. Of these, 5 were Scarlet Red, 3 of these were also A/C delete.

Your vehicle also went to Damerow Ford.
Old 03-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks Dave, and I thought I just got some cheap *** guys car lol. That makes sense with the door panels. It does have the seat material on the doors just not the Saleen words. I have ordered the saleen letter of authenticity and window sticker. Look forward to seeing my options.
Old 03-08-2020
SOEC Member

Window sticker? Are they making these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmblack View Post
I have ordered the saleen letter of authenticity and window sticker.
Old 03-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

I hope so it was $45 lol I typed in saleen window sticker and it took me to saleen performance and the link to order. Had to give last 8 of vin and bumper number
Old 03-08-2020
SOEC Member

I looked since last post, appears to be only 1996 and newer.

"Please note that Saleen Monroney Window Stickers are only available for Saleen vehicles from 1996 to Current Model Year."
Old 03-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Well shoot guess that transaction wont be going through lol.
Old 03-08-2020
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks Dave, and I thought I just got some cheap *** guys car lol. That makes sense with the door panels. It does have the seat material on the doors just not the Saleen words. I have ordered the saleen letter of authenticity and window sticker. Look forward to seeing my options.

Could be a "cheap guys" car.

Since it went to Oregon, maybe the A/C was not necessary to the orderer do to Pacific Northwest climate. additionally, opting out of the power group assisted in the cost savings.

I would also research the vehicle history, original owner / buyer, to also see if there were any "motorsports exploits" with this vehicle.
Old 03-08-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

The last owner is suppose to send me some paperwork he had of car. If I can find the previous owners I am going to reach out and see what I can find. The guy I bought it from had it for 12 years.
Old 03-08-2020
Administrator

The 1984-89 Saleen Mustangs do not really have a pricing label.

The 1989 Saleen SSC model have a duplicate Saleen pricing label that was issued to every car with minor changes per vehicle.

The 1990-93 Saleen Mustang have a hand-typed affair.

The 1994 Saleen Mustangs do not really have a pricing label.

Some 1995 Saleen Mustangs have a pricing label.

Then things get back to normal with 1996-2007 pricing labels.

Last I knew, 2008-09 pricing labels were not available and the 2010-12 MJ/Revstone pricing labels were not available.
Old 03-11-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Does this mean mine wouldn't have had a factory stereo either?
Old 03-11-2020
Administrator

Quote:
Does this mean mine wouldn't have had a factory stereo either?
I do not see a stereo comment for your vehicle, off-hand I will figure this vehicle had the Pioneer unit installed, this was standard in 1988 for Saleen conversions.

I could be mistaken, but I believe "Stereo Delete" as a Saleen reference can mean one of two things.

1: Vehicle chassis was ordered with a factory Ford stereo, so Saleen stereo was deleted.

2: Vehicle does not have a stereo, period. No Saleen stereo installed, no Ford stereo installed.

When Saleen began ordering cars for conversion, the Ford factory stereo delete "credit option" was part of their build spec. 1985-93.

You can ask Saleen about the radio for your vehicle. If it had one or not. If you decode your Ford door tag and discover it to have a Ford stereo code, then your chassis had a factory Ford radio installed. If you decode the door tag and find out it was a delete stereo car, not unusual, this is how most of these vehicles are. The unusual part that is; if Saleen never installed a Pioneer.
Old 03-11-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for that info. I'll check the door code and contact Saleen.
Old 03-11-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Another clue on the Radio delete deal. A Saleen ordered with radio delete will have an aftermarket antenna mast, possibly a Harada unit. If your car has an aftermarket mast, it likely was ordered with the Ford radio delete.

I’ve got one of the Damerow coupes, and it was ordered with Ford radio delete. It’s supposed to have a Harada I believe. There’s no radio and a delete plug on the fender.
Old 03-11-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

You’ll see “Radio Delete” on the body buck tag also if it was Ford delete.
Old 03-12-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Mine is not radio delete. Got the buck tag out today to decide it. Thanks everyone for all the help and info.