The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-01-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default 01 SC281 1st mods ?

Hey all! I've got an 01 sc281 and am ready to do my first couple of modifications. I'm trying to put them in an order that will allow me to run without a tune until I have that money saved. Here's what I have, let me know if there's something I may want to change up!

1- Mosaleen belt tensioner
2- Lower control arms (maybe L & U: any brand suggestions?)
3- Aluminum Driveshaft * Not set on this one yet *

I didn't put the Heat Exchanger on here yet b/c it seems as though mine is running cool at 120*?

I'd like to get an SCT 3 bank along with the following mods. I'm not sure how the tuning of this works, but I was planning on JDM doing a tune and sending it to me.

1- 66mm Pulley
2- Offroad X-Pipe
3- CAI
4- MAF and Injectors

Is there something I should look at differently? This is just my weekend fun car with 1/4 mile runs and maybe some corner carving. Would there be any different route that I may enjoy more?

Thanks for any help!
Old 06-01-2009
SOEC Member

Hi- They say the biggest bang for the buck is 3.73 gears. I put them in my 87 GT and noticed a big difference. I keep the 3.27s in my saleen because I like to take the car on short road trips and It’s a conv so it does not see ¼ time slips (at this time). I went with a 2.9 pulley from pulley boys, tr6 plugs, JLT cold air, mosaleen pulley sys, and a tune by SCT stage3. I think stage3 got tune from JDM. My car runs good with the few mods that I did. It’s best to make your changes/mods at one time because you need to redo your tune every time you make a slight change. All the changes that I did cost around $900. The thing that cost the most is the hand held tuner preloaded with the tune, that’s why it’s best to get all your parts saved up and do your mods all at once if possible. At least the ones you can live with for now. Now my boost goes as high as 10 when I’m winding the car out. The biggest difference is the low RPM, you just floor the car and before the RPMs start to really climb boost jumps past 5 like now, no real waiting.
Muzzy
Old 06-01-2009

Thanks, that's what I was thinking as far as trying to do everything at once. How much difference was it to get the SCT preloaded with a tune? I've seen the handheld for about $360 mostly, is that with the tune included do you think?
Old 06-01-2009
SOEC Member

I know JDM's tune is about $379 with one tune.
Old 06-02-2009
SOEC Member

Put a 3v in it...
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 06-02-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacettr View Post
Put a 3v in it...
If you want to go slower....

Do a 4v swap if you want a man car ;).
Old 06-02-2009
SOEC Member

If you want some upper and lower control arms...i've heard great things from maximum motorsports.

Some possible considerations:

Upgraded brakes - You have a bunch of horsepower but not the ability to stop it. Really glad I did this upgrade.....I think all saleens should have come with them STANDARD instead of optional when you're pushing that kind of power and still using GT brakes.

MGW Short Shifter - I don't have one because I want to keep the stock shifter knob.....but people seem to love this mod.

70-75mm Throttle body - Wakes up the throttle response

3.73 gears - I did this first and my car felt quicker

Note that you can change the exhaust and it won't require a tune.....so go ahead and do the X pipe. It's when you do something with the air/fuel ratio that you need a tune.

By the way....not sure about it but you might have to do a tune with the mosaleen idler pulley. Technically if it saves your belt from slipping that should mean that you're forcing more air through the system. Maybe it's not enough to be significant....but if you're picking up a couple lbs of boost as claimed....I would wait on that one and do it when you do the tune.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 06-02-2009

Quote:
Put a 3v in it...

I've thought about this as there's one of those sweet Parnelli Jones cars close to me. I doubt the guy would notice if I snagged it one night...Brings me to my next thing then, anybody wanna buy an 01 sc 4.6 with less than 12k on it?
Old 06-02-2009

eviligloo,

The only thing that makes me nervous about gears is I drove the car 1700 miles and it was great on the highway. I'll have to check what it would make my cruising RPM sit at.

I thought the same about the MoSaleen tensioner also, it just says on the website that it shouldn't need a tune with it, just needs air fuel ration checked. But pumping higher psi made me think it should need tuned as well.

I also heard a lot about MGW Shifters. I guess I'll check into gears but try and get my hands on an X-pipe and some control arms for now. My 60' was horrible so I'm sure these will give me a good improvement.

Has anybody ever used one of the Aluminum Driveshafts? It came to my attention when one of the Mustang mags used it on their project car (Silver Stealth?)
Old 06-02-2009
Suspended Account

If you're going up from 3.27/3.55s to 3.73, there shouldn't be *a lot* of difference on the highway. I doubt you'd be 500rpm higher in 5th at 70mph.

I'm toying with the 3.73 idea myself. I don't drive the car all that much, so any decrease in highway mileage would be negligible. Heh, it only gets 10-12mpg when I drive it anway. ;)
Old 06-02-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fud View Post
If you're going up from 3.27/3.55s to 3.73, there shouldn't be *a lot* of difference on the highway. I doubt you'd be 500rpm higher in 5th at 70mph.
To give you some perspective....around 70mph i'm cruising at 2000-2100 RPM's. I can't remember what it was before. That's the sweet spot where you hear the drone from the exhaust, though. Fortunately I like that sound (and it's muted a little more when I have the top down either way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fud View Post
I'm toying with the 3.73 idea myself. I don't drive the car all that much, so any decrease in highway mileage would be negligible. Heh, it only gets 10-12mpg when I drive it anway. ;)
Exactly the reason why I switched. I hit the gas every chance I get and it's an occasional car...not my daily driver! No worries about gas mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noish01 View Post

Has anybody ever used one of the Aluminum Driveshafts? It came to my attention when one of the Mustang mags used it on their project car (Silver Stealth?)
I know a guy out in Cali that is selling his aluminum driveshaft for a T-3650 transmission. $280 shipped. He switched to a T-56 transmission and had to buy a longer aluminum driveshaft with the new configuration. PM me if you're interested.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates

Last edited by eviligloo; 06-02-2009 at 05:42 PM. Reason: added detail on the aluminum driveshaft
Old 06-02-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
To give you some perspective....around 70mph i'm cruising at 2000-2100 RPM's. I can't remember what it was before. That's the sweet spot where you hear the drone from the exhaust, though. Fortunately I like that sound (and it's muted a little more when I have the top down either way).

I'm at about, er, 1800 at 70 (give or take), so it seems there's barely any difference.

The 2000-2100 drone doesn't bother me so much, though if I were to take it on a long trip, it'd likely lull me to sleep...

But I like the drone too.
Old 06-04-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbob View Post
If you want to go slower....

Do a 4v swap if you want a man car ;).
If I didn't know better I would think you were a member of a local forum...

Quote:
I've thought about this as there's one of those sweet Parnelli Jones cars close to me. I doubt the guy would notice if I snagged it one night...Brings me to my next thing then, anybody wanna buy an 01 sc 4.6 with less than 12k on it?
07 Saleen Parnelli Jones S-302 #494
1 of 1 With Factory-Installed Scenic Roof
Supershaker, 3.0 Pulley, 60# Injectors, FGT Pumps, Extreme H/E, Kooks LT's + O/R H-pipe, Spydershaft
JDM Tune

89 GT Vert
Too Many Mods to List
Old 06-04-2009

Anybody know the transmission 5th gear ratio for the 01 sc281? All I get when I google it is Saleen quick ratio transmission. I'm thinking I have 3.55 gears right now, I'm sitting at about 2100 RPM at 70 right now.

On a side question, anybody also have Jeff at Saleen's extension? I can't get them to answer the phone out there and it won't let me leave a message, says the button I pressed is not recognized..
Old 06-04-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Anybody know the transmission 5th gear ratio for the 01 sc281? All I get when I google it is Saleen quick ratio transmission. I'm thinking I have 3.55 gears right now, I'm sitting at about 2100 RPM at 70 right now.

On a side question, anybody also have Jeff at Saleen's extension? I can't get them to answer the phone out there and it won't let me leave a message, says the button I pressed is not recognized..
If you didn't try 800-888-8945, option 2, PM me for an alternate route.

Depending on what it is you want him for, someone else may be able to assist you.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 06-12-2009
Suspended Account

Quote:
If I didn't know better I would think you were a member of a local forum...

lol,
Just giving you **** man...lol.

Anyway,

Here's what we did with my buddies 03 Saleen S281 SC:

- 8lb pulley
- 42lb injectors
- MAC X - pipe
- Magna flow Cat Back
- 75 MM Throttle body
- AEM UEGO wide bands
- Sniper SF tuner ( this took some work but we got it to work fine )

Car runs good and we're still working on the tune as well. Next is meth,tires,upper and lower trailing arms,maybe a tubular K.