The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 01-05-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Hesitation under WOT

I'm having a serious problem during WOT where the truck takes off fine but as the rev's climb into the 4500-5000 area the truck does this major hesitation much like the well documented 1/4 fuel issue. Any ideas what may be going on....?
Old 01-05-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey View Post
I'm having a serious problem during WOT where the truck takes off fine but as the rev's climb into the 4500-5000 area the truck does this major hesitation much like the well documented 1/4 fuel issue. Any ideas what may be going on....?

With anything under 1/2 tank of gas these trucks are suseptible to "fuel wash" which will create this situation your seeing. The fuel tanks on these trucks run long ways up and down the truck. So when you accelerate hard the fuel runs to the back of the tank and away from the pumps. This starvation of fuel from the pumps will create that hickup or hesitation.

Also spark blow out is a problem with these trucks under hard acceleration. With the cool winter air you may be building more boost than normal it can happen and its even possible that your spark plugs are fouled out for some reason or another creating a misfire.

Finally it just may be in the tuning, are you still running the saleen flash program or have you upgraded to an aftermarket tune. We offer some awesome tune files for these trucks at our shop. Call anytime! 732-780-0770

JimIII
Old 01-05-2009

Jim - I'm running the standard Saleen flash at this time but I have been talking with Chris on your sales team for some time now about the Stage II upgrade. Price has been the only thing holding me back from the upgrade.
Old 01-05-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Jim - I'm running the standard Saleen flash at this time but I have been talking with Chris on your sales team for some time now about the Stage II upgrade. Price has been the only thing holding me back from the upgrade.

We just dropped it to $1600 actually! it was $1895 for a long time.

JimIII
Old 01-05-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Hesitation

I think it is well worth the money, JDM knows these trucks and the up grade tune. I did it and its great. Haulin S331.
Old 01-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM View Post
We just dropped it to $1600 actually! it was $1895 for a long time.

JimIII
Thanks Jim, I was aware of the price drop as you posted it here. I think I speak for many of us here that we are pleased that you moved the price down some and we understand that the components are quality and expensive but $1600 is still a steep entrance fee for many of us. Add to that the economic climate and it gets hard to justify. Maybe you could consider a group buy for SOEC members. You have indicated your awareness of Mike Troyers kit and his more aggressive pricing. He also provides 3 levels of tune with the kit. As any would be up-grader I need to look at price Vs. value and Mike is hard to ignore. I would add however that your use of the Roush air box does make your system look far more factory which many of us like.

Stepping off the soap box now........
Old 01-06-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Thanks Jim, I was aware of the price drop as you posted it here. I think I speak for many of us here that we are pleased that you moved the price down some and we understand that the components are quality and expensive but $1600 is still a steep entrance fee for many of us. Add to that the economic climate and it gets hard to justify. Maybe you could consider a group buy for SOEC members. You have indicated your awareness of Mike Troyers kit and his more aggressive pricing. He also provides 3 levels of tune with the kit. As any would be up-grader I need to look at price Vs. value and Mike is hard to ignore. I would add however that your use of the Roush air box does make your system look far more factory which many of us like.

Stepping off the soap box now........

I understand completley. The fact of the matter is however we do have more cost in parts involved than Mike's kit does, our kit is also 50 state emissions legal too! I will give anyone who asks 3 tunes, we normally only provide one because most people never need more than one.

I would absolutley consider a group buy, if i get 5 people to order a kit ill sell them for $1399!! Spread the word and we'll see what we can do!

JimIII
Old 01-06-2009

OK guys, I think Jim is really stepping up here. It's now our chance to get his kit with 3 tunes Vs. 1 for another $200 off the already reduced price. In my view $1400 for this kit is a great price and I'm in as 1 of 5 needed, lets do it......

BTW Jim, my truck is an 08 Lincoln Mark LT 4x4 and Chris said you would be able to build a tune (or 3) for it no problem.
Old 01-06-2009
Suspended Account

Thats a good deal. Hmmn I might be in. let me check my funds.
Old 01-06-2009

Jim,

Id put that offer up on NHTOC too. Plenty of harley owners with a Saleen charger that would probably bite for that price! Hard to pass up.
Old 01-07-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
Jim,

Id put that offer up on NHTOC too. Plenty of harley owners with a Saleen charger that would probably bite for that price! Hard to pass up.

Thanks, just have anyone contact me at the office 732-780-0770 and ill make it happen.

JimIII
Old 01-08-2009

Quote:
Thanks, just have anyone contact me at the office 732-780-0770 and ill make it happen.

JimIII
So Jim are you saying that we don't really need to come up with 5 buyers before you will offer the $1400 price....?
Old 01-08-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
So Jim are you saying that we don't really need to come up with 5 buyers before you will offer the $1400 price....?

No i do need 5 buyers, ill make a list and save your information untill i get 5 total and ill call you when I get enough people!

JimIII
Old 01-09-2009
Administrator

Anybody reading our recent Saleen Enthusiast News & Events, please contact JimIII for information or to put your name on the list.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 01-15-2009

Hi Jim,
I just as you know purchased the JDM upgrade kit for the price of $1600.00.Will i not qualify for the 1400.00 price??

Gino Bellina
Old 01-16-2009

Did anyone post this offer up at NHTOC? Some of those harley guys have the factory installed saleen supercharger and may want to take advantage of this.
Old 01-16-2009
SOEC Member

I tried but my membership is on temporary hold because im a vendor and my dues were up last week! just mailed the check in and they wont turn me back on untill the check is in!! If someone wants to put it over there ill jump in when Big D gets me back up!
Old 01-19-2009
Suspended Account

I should have the money in a few weeks for the JDM kit.
Old 01-20-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
Did anyone post this offer up at NHTOC? Some of those harley guys have the factory installed saleen supercharger and may want to take advantage of this.
Can't recall who did it but YES it's there with a link back to this thread.
Old 01-20-2009

Yeah I started a thread about the GB on NHTOC a few weeks ago.
Old 01-21-2009

So back on topic, I have this hesitation even with a full tank of gas so it's not fuel wash. I'm convinced it's either in the tune of spark blow out, so I going to upgrade the plug and get the JDM or Troyer kit and say goodbye to the Saleen flash.
Old 01-21-2009

oh, Mr. Harvey, you should have said good bye to the Saleen flash LONG ago. There have been MANY problems with it.
Old 01-21-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
So back on topic, I have this hesitation even with a full tank of gas so it's not fuel wash. I'm convinced it's either in the tune of spark blow out, so I going to upgrade the plug and get the JDM or Troyer kit and say goodbye to the Saleen flash.

Let us know whenever your ready, it definatley sounds like a tune/spark issue now that you've determined its not the fuel tank wash.

JimIII
Old 01-21-2009

Quote:
Let us know whenever your ready, it definatley sounds like a tune/spark issue now that you've determined its not the fuel tank wash.

JimIII
Waiting on the announcement that you have all 5 purchases lined up....and the wifes approval but I can work on that.
Old 01-31-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:

Richard what do you mean by "WOT"? I am also experiencing a hesitation something like the one you are mentioning. My truck takes off fine under hard acceleration and climbs into the 4500-5000rpm range but when it then shifts from 1st to 2nd it will pause for a split second and sometimes even backfire with a loud crack. It only does this shifting between 1st and 2nd gear. I have confirmed that it is not a tank issuse as it does the same problem on a full tank of gas. It seems to me as if the problem is getting worse. I used to only have this problem about 1 out of ever 6-7 times under hard acceleration and now I seem to have it at least 1 out of every two times i get on the gas hard. Does this seem more like a spark plug issue since it is happening more often or would it be more of a tuning issure, or could it be related to both? I also still have the stock saleen tune even though they seem as if they may be differences in the saleen tunes because mine runs over 100MPH from the factory.

I also remeber reading in an earlier post that JDM reprogrammed the stock saleen tune on their truck and sent their custom tune back to saleen so that they could use it on the remainder of the unfinished trucks. Could this be the reason that some are governed at 100mph and some are not?
Old 02-02-2009
Suspended Account

Is the $1399 JDM special over?
Old 02-02-2009

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Burnouts331 - Your issue sounds exactly like mine except I get the same action with a 2-3 shift as well. Also my hesitation is just before the actual shift takes place. I have spoken with both Jim III and Mike Troyer about this and they both agree that it's either spark blow out or the tune itself. I'm going with the JDM kit w/plugs and hopeful that will fix my problem. You may want to try a new set of colder plugs with a tighter gap first to prove that it's the tune or not. Even if it's the tune the new plugs are good to do anyway.
Old 02-03-2009
SOEC Member

Last I PM'd JDM, they were still willing to do the $1399 offer, but were waiting on 5 takers ... they have 3 including me ... would be good to see if we can get a few more ... for $1399, this kit seems like a good value ... cant' wait to shed that stock tune!

2008 S331 SC, Bumper #21
2003 Mustang Cobra SVT Coupe
1994 F150 Extended Cab, 4.9L, 5 spd
1966 Ford 7 Litre Convertible, 4spd, 428 V8
1966 Ford Country Squire, 390 V8
1966 Ford Custom, Original Washington State Patrol Car, "P Code" 428 V8
1965 Ford T-Bird Landau, 390 V8
1958 Edsel Corsair (Canadian built) 410 V8
Old 02-03-2009

Actually I was one of the group but I found a JDM kit that a member here purchased but never installed and I purchased it from him. So Jim III is one less, sorry guys but I could not pass up the deal I was given.
Old 02-03-2009
Suspended Account

Count me in on the JDM deal. Email me when you need me to pay.