The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-30-2019
SOEC Member

Default Photos: Saleen 6.5 Supercharger

Not sure how many of these were ever made in 2009 but has taken me a long time to finally collect all the pieces for a complete kit that I will fit to my Extreme
The main housing is in 2 pieces with a rubber O ring type seal and 8 bolts holding it together.
The top intake is also in 2 pieces the lower plate is the same as a Super Shaker whilst the top is more stream line and has the front center bolt deleted.
The crossover water pipe now has the thermostat in the correct location.
Attached Thumbnails
6.5 front.jpg  

6.5 LH side.jpg  

6.5 rear.jpg  

6.5 RH side.jpg  

2008 Extreme S302E #02 RHD Saleen Demo/Press
Parnelli Jones #45 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #46 Super Shaker RHD
Parnelli Jones #407 Super Shaker RHD (SOLD)
'06 GT Coupe "Saleen Racer" RHD
1970 GT-HO Falcon Phase 2 Owned since new
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
1965 TBird Conv. 429SCJ Drag Pak 4 speed
Old 08-02-2019
Administrator

Did Power-Tech build those?
Old 08-02-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Is that the one up from the series VI?
Old 08-02-2019
SOEC Member

Dave I am not sure, I originally bought the lids and crossover pipes from Saleen in Troy a long time ago and have been running them on my cars. A year or so ago I bought the new main housings which needed some final machine work. I think Saleen in Troy assembled the units. Possibly only a handful were ever finished. Would be interesting to find out if they were fitted to the 2010-2014 cars built in Troy
1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
Old 08-02-2019
Administrator

Power-Tech was part of the "family of companies" when MJA created the umbrella. I believe they sold the umbrella to Revstone. Then Mike S. bought back one of the companies when Revstone had their troubles. I don't recall which company was doing superchargers.

When MJA/Power-Tech (?) made the announcement of their Series 6.5, they spoke of making their own screws. By this time, Vortech had Lycholm in the US. I can recall Vortech executives being interested in what MJA/Power-Tech were going to mill for screw designs. Since it appeared MJA/Power-Tech were not using Lycholm screws. If the designs were Lycholm copies, that was to be challenged.

I thought at one point there was a plan to make the Series 6.5 a modular supercharger unit. My memory could be wrong. To possibly make one unit fit multiple engine families. Could be mistaken.

I don't believe there were any "factory" 2010 435S or S281 Mustangs that ran the Series 6.5 lid. Those cars that had the new lid, were retrofitted.

What a great question is... did any of the 2010 Mustangs run the 6.5 case with the 2005-09 intake? Or were all the 2010 Mustangs running leftover Series VI units?

Also, do you recall word on how the 2010 "PowerFlow" hood was to be functional? I thought I could remember there was an idea to make a plenum that would seal against the hood to create a ram air effect. Like a SuperShaker, but without a hole in the hood.

Much like the SuperShaker, it had issues with being passed as an compliant item. Something about air intakes or canisters. Or am I mis-remembering?
Old 08-04-2019
SOEC Member

Finally assembled 6.5 Supercharger, several modifications 60mm Ford throttle body, Drake fuel rails and JDM 2.9 8 rib pulley.
To fit throttle body same as series 6 you have to elongate mounting 4 bolt holes slightly and slightly port the housing so larger butterflies don't touch.
It is almost impossible to tell the difference between the series 6 and series 6.5 housings except for 4 extra bolts 2 front 2 rear as in photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Bolts.jpg  

Rear Bolt.jpg  

Series 6.5 LHS comp.jpg  

1966 Shelby GT-350 LHD
Old 10-22-2019
Saleen Forums Participant

Sure glad I didn't win Ebay on this housing in that last minute as I would have been perplexed and stymied by the smaller rear bearing pockets - "Whew!" - as I wipe my forehead.
Glad you made it work.