The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-06-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Tune comparisons? - JDM vs. Blow by Racing vs. Bama

Anyone have any feedback on JDM tune vs. Blow by Racing or Bama? Are there differences or is it just hype. Obviously, I want the best for my car to get max performance.

Any information is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2011
SOEC Member

Dad and I currently have JDM Tunes in our E-Cars. The tune is a result of lots of R&D. Thats for sure and each tuner will have different characteristics because of the copious amount of data points to change. We have also had a chance to get to know the D'Amore Father and Son and they are passionate about their work. Conversations about details and slight changes always seem fruitful.

In concept, posting here is a great idea so people can talk about priorities. HP and reliability results are one thing and troubleshooting/customer service is another. Location is important as well. If they have to troubleshoot over the phone through someone else, the results might not be optimized. If they are close, then you could drop in with your latest modification and they could retune the car for you.

Last edited by ExtrmStang#67; 07-07-2011 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-08-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtrmStang#67 View Post
Dad and I currently have JDM Tunes in our E-Cars. The tune is a result of lots of R&D. Thats for sure and each tuner will have different characteristics because of the copious amount of data points to change. We have also had a chance to get to know the D'Amore Father and Son and they are passionate about their work. Conversations about details and slight changes always seem fruitful.

In concept, posting here is a great idea so people can talk about priorities. HP and reliability results are one thing and troubleshooting/customer service is another. Location is important as well. If they have to troubleshoot over the phone through someone else, the results might not be optimized. If they are close, then you could drop in with your latest modification and they could retune the car for you.
Erik,

I strongly encourage everyone to find a local dyno shop if at all possible. While many have had varying results from good to bad with mail-order tunes, it is IMO that nothing beats having the car calibrated on a dyno which takes into consideration your car, the actual condition its in, the climate you live in, the fuel that you use and the list goes on. I understand that in rural areas finding a good tuner can be a challenge making mail-order tunes absolutely a necessity. We had a customer in this week with an E car and his tune was from a tuner back East and logistically making changes has proven to be time consuming and problematic.

My .02 said, find a reliable dyno tuner local to you and stick with them – on the average it will make things easier and certainly better fine tuned.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
Erik,

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I strongly encourage everyone to find a local dyno shop if at all possible.
I agree. A store-bought tune is better then the Saleen stock tune, but one size does not fit all. You really need a dyno tune.
Old 07-08-2011
SOEC Member

maybe the dumb question of the day. I have several tunes for my car. One from Brenspeed, and one from BBR, I also have a JDM tune but it no longer will work as I have changed the CAI system since the tune was written. If I have the car dyno tuned how is that tune saved? Is it saved to my tuner? I'm thinking if something happens and I want to reflash my computer how is that done. I wouldn't want to spend the money to have a special tune done only to have it get dumped by accident or changed at the dealer.

Thanks,
2007 Shelby GT, Saleen SC Stage 3 with 3.0 pulley,mosaleen tensioner sys. UCA,LCA,BMR A arm Brace, SVE Dark Stainless 18x10's, Nitto NT05's, MGW Shifter, Pypes LT's with off-road X pipe, Bassani Axle backs, FRP 3.73's,BMR Watts Link, Steeda shaft loop, JLT 110mm CAI, FRP valve Covers, Brenspeed tuned. 12.425@114.63 4800 feet on Nitto 555's. Latest dyno is 492hp/463tq.
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC1039 View Post
I agree. A store-bought tune is better then the Saleen stock tune, but one size does not fit all. You really need a dyno tune.
Why are Saleen tunes so bad?
Old 07-08-2011
Administrator

We might have touched base on this before, but Saleen tuned vehicles towards emissions and warranty.

Depending on the vehicle, sometimes they did not idle well or run the best.
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
We might have touched base on this before, but Saleen tuned vehicles towards emissions and warranty.

Depending on the vehicle, sometimes they did not idle well or run the best.
Saleen tuned vehicles that would not idle or run good?
Old 07-08-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQwkStang View Post
Saleen tuned vehicles that would not idle or run good?
Well, some of the S7 Twin Turbo models behaved better with an aftermarket tune. Same goes for the S331 S/C and 2005 S281 S/C.
Old 07-08-2011
SOEC Member

Thank you for your feedback Jason. After recent events I wanted to revisit this post to only recommend local shops/tuners to do the work. Shop around and get to know the individual doing the work. It seems that having a good relationship with your tuner is crucial so that when times are tough all parties are mutually invested.

Quote:
I strongly encourage everyone to find a local dyno shop if at all possible....
Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtrmStang#67 View Post
Thank you for your feedback Jason. After recent events I wanted to revisit this post to only recommend local shops/tuners to do the work. Shop around and get to know the individual doing the work. It seems that having a good relationship with your tuner is crucial so that when times are tough all parties are mutually invested.
Well said Erik!

Old 07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock View Post
maybe the dumb question of the day. I have several tunes for my car. One from Brenspeed, and one from BBR, I also have a JDM tune but it no longer will work as I have changed the CAI system since the tune was written. If I have the car dyno tuned how is that tune saved? Is it saved to my tuner? I'm thinking if something happens and I want to reflash my computer how is that done. I wouldn't want to spend the money to have a special tune done only to have it get dumped by accident or changed at the dealer.

Thanks,
If they were emailed to you, you can always re-install them on your tuner and re-install them in the car, that's why I always save them for my customers when they've bought email tunes. If this doesn't make sense, give me a call and I'll be happy to better explain.

Old 07-09-2011
SOEC Member

I'm really up a creek, I live on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. Does anyone know of a good tuner here? Might add some stuff while I'm here, you never know.
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...der/4-Copy.jpgS281-E #06-0036
Best daily driver ever.
Old 07-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by redruder View Post
I'm really up a creek, I live on the island of Oahu in Hawaii. Does anyone know of a good tuner here? Might add some stuff while I'm here, you never know.
I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone. If you ever wanted to ship your car in to the mainland, we'd handle all the logistics for you once it got here. We do that for a customer who lives in Kona and stores his car here.

Old 07-09-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure there isn't anyone. If you ever wanted to ship your car in to the mainland, we'd handle all the logistics for you once it got here. We do that for a customer who lives in Kona and stores his car here.
I'll be back to the mainland sometime in the next 1 1/2 to 2 years when I retire from the Army. I'll do a dyno tune then. It costs around $2K to ship but it's free when the Army moves me back. I'll gather parts and add everything at once. Nowhere to open it up here anyway.
Best daily driver ever.
Old 07-09-2011

Lol, that's to bad about the lack of roads.

Old 07-09-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Lol, that's to bad about the lack of roads.
The roads would be great if they would rais the speed limit. I drove 83 around Oahu and that road was killer, too bad the spped limit never went above 45.
Best daily driver ever.
Old 07-10-2011

Smylie,
Since you are in NY I would recommend JDM, take the time and drive down there if you can. It will be worth it. I agree that you want to try to go somewhere that has experience locally with tuning if possible because of altitude and gas being different in each region. However if you are just looking for a mail order tune Brenspeed has a great amount of experience and is a recommended SpeedLab center.
Old 07-10-2011

JDM all the way. I have had several in my car and they always work well. They worked closely with Saleen a few years back and knew there cars inside and out.
2006 GT - Saleen Heritage 'Clone' - Super Shaker w/JDM tune - Racecraft Suspension - 19" Heritage Wheels w/Nitto 555 - Extreme Window Deletes - Corsa Extreme Exhaust - All parts installed by either Saleen in Troy or Alternative Automotive Technologies in Troy.
Old 07-11-2011

My car is tuned by JDM and im ok with it (need to get a retune soon due to adjustments), but Jim Sr tuned my car personally out here in CA. If he had not done that I would be looking for a local tune. You just can't beat a tune that's adjusted for local variables by tuners that are familiar with them.
Old 07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
My car is tuned by JDM and im ok with it (need to get a retune soon due to adjustments), but Jim Sr tuned my car personally out here in CA. If he had not done that I would be looking for a local tune. You just can't beat a tune that's adjusted for local variables by tuners that are familiar with them.

I purchased my tuner through Stage3motorpsorts.com. They have been patient and great to work with. I datalogged my car with my tuner and laptop and we got a pefect tune for day to day driving, and an amazing race tune that has more timing etc. It has been a blast. A datalog is about the best way to go other than a dyno. It is under a load and everything, you just don't know your HP you are pushing.. Good luck.