The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-19-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Q: Heat exchanger upgrade? - 2006 S281 SC

Hey guys just picked up my 06 saleen yesterday and the front bumper caught while unloading from a car trailer. So i will need to remove the front bumper for repair and respray. ( yes im beyond pist!!!) anyway while the front bumper is off im wondering if i should upgrade the heat exchanger. I have a built motor with ported saleen blower pushing 14lbs. Wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade to the afco dual pass or the oem unit will be fine. Thanks guys for your hekp so happy to be back into a ford. Sold my z06 and then my srt8 challenger. The support is always with mustang guys and those other cars werent for me.
Old 10-20-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I have the Saleen Extreme heat exchanger, and the upgraded pump and it works flawlessly. I'm using a 2.75" pulley on a heavily modified engine and my air temp stays at about 125 no matter how hot the weather is. The dual 10" fans on the exchanger certainly help. Plus the fit is perfect and there were no mods to hoses, brackets, etc. These days it's hard to find a complete kit though, but the individual parts can be found cheaply and pieced together.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017

Thanks bud, yea my engine is heavily modified as well. Full stronger Sean Hyland long block . 14 lbs of boost currently of a ported Saleen IV blower. I like the idea of the extreme blower fitting perfect without modification with the upgraded pump. Im going to be on the hunt for one!!!
Old 10-20-2017
SOEC Member

That's awesome. 14#?! On the stock intercooler!? It must get heat soaked like crazy! How much power you pushing?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017

I just picked up the car and im in Maine so the temps are cool currently. The previous owner only but 2000 miles on in 3 years!! I have to look tonight and see if this is the stock intercooler and not the extreme upgrade if not im ordering a upgraded intercooler. I have 2 tunes one 531 rwhp and 1 tune 597 rwhp. I ran the 597 rwhp tune yesterday and it felt good, not pinging ect. The motor can handle a ton more but this blower is close to maxed out.
Old 10-20-2017

looks like I found a new extreme intercooler with fans on ebay no pump though. Probably going to snag it tonight
Old 10-20-2017
SOEC Member

The Afro duel fan is much larger than the Extreme heat exchanger. It fits without any real modification except for a couple elbows in the hoses if I remembe right.
Old 10-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbar View Post
The Afro duel fan is much larger than the Extreme heat exchanger. It fits without any real modification except for a couple elbows in the hoses if I remembe right.

My plan was to get the afco but im kind of short on funds as i just bought the car with my wifes approval!!!! I ended up finding a smokin deal on a new extreme heat echanger with fans so i bought that one for now hoping that this will be sufficient. Im also buying the upgraded intercooler pump. With the stock saleen blower i think this will do the trick. I do see my self getting a kennebell 2.6 down the road though as well as a t56 magnum or a tremec 6060. My goal in a few years is going to be 700 rwhp on pump gas.