The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 06-22-2014
Saleen Forums Participant

Default Whats needed to take the 3v cars to the NEXT level?

So pretty much I had a full bolted/pullied 03 Cobra and a full bolt on, 3.4 pullied gt500 pumps, 2007 S281. I am use to the pull of a 450 wheel horse and 117mph trap car. This car is a STREET car and will see the 1/4 mile strip maybe 3 times per year if that and will only be using sticky street tires. I would like some input on how to take the little ole 3v to the next power level with the Saleen vi blower. From research and my own car knowledge the areas that need to be addressed would be as followed...

.Im sure the 3650 wouldnt like any more power but I wont be launching all that hard. I am fine with 1.9 60s.
.Clutch
.Bigger injectors
.Rods
.Pistons
.Crank
.Heads
.Cams
.Blower pullies...what size?......

Any advice from knowledgable 3v builders and pro shops such as JDM, 281 M and the likes would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-2014

I also plan on doing the afco dual fan HE. To sum my question up. What will it take to make over 500 wheel horse and or 120+ mph trap speeds safely with room to grow from 500-700ish or 130+ mph traps (I am a trap speed guy) lol. I like taking things slow with my cars and slowly increasing the power until I am comfortable at that level. 450 wheel horse is starting to feel slow to me lol..
Old 06-23-2014
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I would suggest spending money on the bottom end first and establish a strong foundations to build off of. Kellog stroker cranks can be found on ebay. A good set of rods and forged pistons that will work for your future goals. Be forewarned the saleen supercharger will be your limiting factor on HP. Don't waste your money on bottom end parts that are designed for 1000hp because if you plan on staying with the series vi you won't come close and are just throwing away money.
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 06-23-2014

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to reach 600 to the wheels with a decent set of heads and cams with the Saleen blower?
Old 06-23-2014

What you need my friend is a consultation. Sure, anyone can throw a list of mods at you, but most of us including me work on budgets. So we'd first establish a financial budget, then lay out a plan that makes the most sense. You guys are always concerned with the HP aspect of the car when there are SOOO many ways to make a car "fast" and not have to rebuild the motor. Give me a call if this is something your serious about doing and we'll design a plan tailored around your needs, expectations and budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPDetailing View Post
So pretty much I had a full bolted/pullied 03 Cobra and a full bolt on, 3.4 pullied gt500 pumps, 2007 S281. I am use to the pull of a 450 wheel horse and 117mph trap car. This car is a STREET car and will see the 1/4 mile strip maybe 3 times per year if that and will only be using sticky street tires. I would like some input on how to take the little ole 3v to the next power level with the Saleen vi blower. From research and my own car knowledge the areas that need to be addressed would be as followed...

.Im sure the 3650 wouldnt like any more power but I wont be launching all that hard. I am fine with 1.9 60s.
.Clutch
.Bigger injectors
.Rods
.Pistons
.Crank
.Heads
.Cams
.Blower pullies...what size?......

Any advice from knowledgable 3v builders and pro shops such as JDM, 281 M and the likes would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 06-23-2014

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to reach 600 to the wheels with a decent set of heads and cams with the Saleen blower?
Yes, absolutely. But not just a decent set, a well built set of heads, a massive fuel system, cooling system and obviously a solid forged bottem end.

Old 06-24-2014

There are several cars on the forum that are over 600RWHP - most with stroker motors but all of them have built bottom ends. Heads and cam are going to be a requirement to get to this range but if you are planning on building in stages I would worry about the bottom end first. Heads and cams will cost you roughly the same as the bottom end. If I can dig it out I will post the specs on my extreme's engine - it dynoed at 617rwhp. Forum user Seelye76 recently dynoed over 600 rwhp with his setup as well and may be able to provide you a list of his parts.
2004-013 Ford Mustang Salween Extreme-FOR SALE
1999 Ford Mustang Cobra convertible SA-20 clone
2006 Dodge Charger R/T
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8-SOLD
2002 Big Dog Pitbull-SOLD
2005-1343 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281. Barricade replica-SOLD
2011 Ram Express
2006-016 Ford Mustang Saleen Extreme-FOR SALE
2012 Ford F150 FX2
2007-300 Ford Mustang Saleen SC281-FOR SALE
2005 Ram SRT-10 RC CE #43-FOR SALE
Old 06-24-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethrough View Post
There are several cars on the forum that are over 600RWHP - most with stroker motors but all of them have built bottom ends. Heads and cam are going to be a requirement to get to this range but if you are planning on building in stages I would worry about the bottom end first. Heads and cams will cost you roughly the same as the bottom end. If I can dig it out I will post the specs on my extreme's engine - it dynoed at 617rwhp. Forum user Seelye76 recently dynoed over 600 rwhp with his setup as well and may be able to provide you a list of his parts.
To get the HP numbers you are correct. But with all that power he'll never stick it so then whats the point? Thats why we suggest getting the drivetrain, suspension and chassis dialed before or during the transition to that golden number. Getting a motor to do 6-700hp is not that difficult, getting it to plant is. For trap speeds...."Cortex Torque Arm" for the win!

Old 06-25-2014

I need to get in on the mod wagon again too. I also had a full bolt on 475rwhp 03 Cobra and the S281 is getting a little boring I hope to build it up like you plan one day. Although I want to get 500ish whp if possible and mid 11's 1/4 mile without building the engine as that is the most expensive mod that doesn't yeild power unless you bump up the boost at the same time. But I'm also afraid of popping my engine
Old 06-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trq View Post
I need to get in on the mod wagon again too. I also had a full bolt on 475rwhp 03 Cobra and the S281 is getting a little boring I hope to build it up like you plan one day. Although I want to get 500ish whp if possible and mid 11's 1/4 mile without building the engine as that is the most expensive mod that doesn't yeild power unless you bump up the boost at the same time. But I'm also afraid of popping my engine
Same boat lol! The new GT500s are looking better and better each day. 700 to the wheels with bolt ons, pullied and tuned! Nothing beats the styling of a Saleen car though thats for sure!
Old 06-25-2014
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethrough View Post

I did just dyno at 608whp, but I can't give a whole lot of details on the engine since it was built by Techco and they isn't any info out there. I do know it is stroked with high flow heads and cams. Once you crank up the boost, the biggest gain I saw was going to the ford racing throttle body. I gained almost 60whp from that change alone.

I agree with Jason though. Work on the suspension and cooling to make sure the car can handle the extra HP.
Old 06-25-2014

Quote:
Same boat lol! The new GT500s are looking better and better each day. 700 to the wheels with bolt ons, pullied and tuned! Nothing beats the styling of a Saleen car though thats for sure!
Good luck getting one of those to ever stick and not rip the tires right off the car!