The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 09-09-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Q: When did the hood scoop begin in 2000?

It seems random to me when the hood scoop that was a factory standard on the GT starting in all 2001 Mustangs - showed up on the Saleen's in 2000. Very similar to the 1967 Shelby Mustangs that had mid production changes such as rear brake ducting scoops, or bolted vs riveted tail light panels that Saleen might have started the early roll out of the hood scoop based on Ford releasing early to him? I have seen cars in the 400's with the scoop on the standard Mustang hood but curious if anyone has studied the car numbers where the hood scoop started to show up? Just seems to be a cool mid year change that showed up.
Old 09-09-2020
Administrator

The hood scoop became a standard Ford Mustang GT feature in 2001.

In 1999 only the 35th Anniversary Edition Package Mustang GT models received a hood scoop. These cars came in Performance Red, White, Black and silver with a tu-tone charcoal and silver interior.

In 2000 only the Spring Feature Edition Package Mustang GT models received a hood scoop. These cars came in Zinc Yellow, Performance Red, White, Black and silver.

In 2001 all Mustang GT models received a hood scoop.

The scoop design is different between the 1999-00 and 2001-04.

In 1999, if you ordered an S281 based on a 35th Anniversary Edition, the hood scoop remained unless you ordered the optional Saleen vented hood.

In 2000, in you ordered an S281 based on a Spring Feature Edition, the Saleen vented hood became a mandatory option.

From 2001 through 2004, Saleen installed their own design hood scoop insert for vehicles not equipped with the vented hood.
Old 09-10-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

That is awesome details on the scoop and insert.
I was unaware of the spring edition - until your post - again great information
I have the marti report on my s/c 2000 (593) - and it was built at Ford April of 00 (ordered March 13) - with Saleen finishing in May 2000
I do not have the Saleen hood - just the standard hood but it has a scoop. Could this be a spring edition scoop that made it over? My car is crystal white which was one of the colors for the spring edition.
And do you have any pictures of the scoop inserts up close - would be great to land a visual with the changes of the 3 variations - 99-00, 01-04, and Saleen 01-04
Thanks again for the great info!
Old 09-20-2020
Administrator

Hi! I can look for pictures of the various hood scoops.

The 1999-00 hood scoop is a lower profile scoop when compared to the 2001-04 hood scoop. Also, the mounting pins are are different locations between the two scoops.

The 1999-00 scoop "may" have been a Classic Design Concepts item.

The 2001-04 Saleen scoop insert features horizontal bars. The stock Ford OE scoop insert is a honeycomb pattern.

Your Marti report should state if your car was equipped with the Spring Feature GT appearance package.