The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 03-03-2006
Account with Invalid Email

Default Saleen Wheel Concerns

I know there are a number of blogs concerning peeling chrome on Saleen wheels. Although this is a problem...it's really cosmetic only. Yesterday I came across a different type of problem which has me very concerned. Here's what I found on the Mach 1 Registry website....

Purchased 03' Azure Blue from Brian (ocsnake) in Orange County, CA and brought back to South Florida as I was in the market for a nice new track Mustang. The vehicle had authentic Saleen 18x9 and 18x10 wheels. We Took it to two-one day HPDE track day events at Homestead Miami Speedway's 2.25 mile road coarse. During the second event the power steering started acting up so I pulled into the pits to check the car. Found the power steering had boiled and started to vapor lock. While inspecting the car, I found the left front wheel comletely cracked through in the middle of one of the spokes. Needless to say that was the end of our day. On the trailer and home we went as we did not have another set of wheels handy. When we were washing the car the next day, my wife (the other half of the fastduo) thoroughly inspect all of the rims and found two other spokes on the left rear wheel with cracks starting but not cracked through like the front one. I dont even want to think of what could have happened at 120 mph if one of the wheels had failed. Needless to say, these Saleen wheels cannot handle the stresses of high speed cornering. DO NOT USE SALEEN WHEELS FOR TRACK EVENTS!!!

Here's my concern...I just mounted a set of Toyo RA1's (competition radials) on my Saleen wheels for HPDE's and autocross events are a little frightened. Apparently the wheels are cast and not forged. Has anyone heard about similar experiences? Has anyone used these wheels in a similar manner with no problem? I am hopiing this was an isolated case.

PLEASE RESPOND!
2002 Roush Stage 3 World Challenge GR40 - Race Car (sold 5/29/12)[/B][/I]
Old 12-15-2006
Suspended Account

I OWN A 2003 EXTREME. AT AROUND 20.000 MILES , OVER A PERIOD OF 6 MONTH , FIRST THE FRONT WHEELS CRACKED THEM THE REAR CRACKED ALSO. FORTUNATELLY THEY WERE REPLACED BY SALEEN UNDER WARRANTY.
Old 12-20-2006
Saleen Forums Participant

I must not be running my car as hard as you guys. I had my rear wheels replaced (recall) after about the first year... I think it was for that same cracking problem. Since then, I've had my car on the track at least 4 to 5 times a year for the next 4 years without a problem.

My wheels are 18x9 on all 4 corners.