The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-28-2017
Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Owner: Same old questions 😂

I'm not new to mustangs but I'm new to S281-SC so I have a lot to learn. I've been researching but unfortunately so much info is outdated and items aren't being produced any longer so I'm looking for direction.

First on mods:
Long tubes
Off road mid prochamber
3.73 gears
Tune

Want to add with above mods but unsure:
Comp cams XE270AH (with springs and retainers)
66mm pulley
Motech tensioner

Questions:
What else do I need to support the above mods? I want to address heat soak as well so it's a useable fun car.
Old 05-29-2017
Administrator

Year of S281? Factory Supercharged model?

1999-00 Series I SC
2001-02 Series II SC
2003-04 Series IV SC
Old 05-29-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Year of S281? Factory Supercharged model?

1999-00 Series I SC
2001-02 Series II SC
2003-04 Series IV SC
2000 series I SC
Old 06-01-2017

Crickets.....
Old 06-02-2017
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Sorry I can't help answer the question but the delay may be due to members traveling to Carlisle Ford show in PA this week.
Old 06-03-2017
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
I'm not new to mustangs but I'm new to S281-SC so I have a lot to learn. I've been researching but unfortunately so much info is outdated and items aren't being produced any longer so I'm looking for direction.

First on mods:
Long tubes
Off road mid prochamber
3.73 gears
Tune

Want to add with above mods but unsure:
Comp cams XE270AH (with springs and retainers)
66mm pulley
Motech tensioner

Questions:
What else do I need to support the above mods? I want to address heat soak as well so it's a useable fun car.
What are your goals for the car? Specific amount of power in mind? If you're looking to make more power than that Series I will support, save your money and replace the blower first. No reason to dump money in to a Series I if your end goal is beyond its capability.

If the Series I will do, I'd personally skip the mods you listed for now, and focus on efficiency and cooling of the supercharger, and feeding that supercharger as much air as possible.

-large dual pass heat exchanger
-upgrade or mod the stock intercooler (Chicane, if you can still find one, or mod the stock intercooler)
-upgrade idler puller (mosaleen, if you can still find one)
-Dyno tune from a good tuner

I remember Tork Tech made an awesome intake and inlet kit that fit the Series II... not 100% sure if it fits the Series I. But something along those lines would be great. Otherwise, look at a larger MAF and throttle body, and I think a JLT intake will fit, as well.
Old 06-04-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hot281 View Post
What are your goals for the car? Specific amount of power in mind? If you're looking to make more power than that Series I will support, save your money and replace the blower first. No reason to dump money in to a Series I if your end goal is beyond its capability.

If the Series I will do, I'd personally skip the mods you listed for now, and focus on efficiency and cooling of the supercharger, and feeding that supercharger as much air as possible.

-large dual pass heat exchanger
-upgrade or mod the stock intercooler (Chicane, if you can still find one, or mod the stock intercooler)
-upgrade idler puller (mosaleen, if you can still find one)
-Dyno tune from a good tuner

I remember Tork Tech made an awesome intake and inlet kit that fit the Series II... not 100% sure if it fits the Series I. But something along those lines would be great. Otherwise, look at a larger MAF and throttle body, and I think a JLT intake will fit, as well.
My goal for the car is just for enjoyment right now. I already have high hp cars and this will be for sound and looks. I love the sound of a cammed 2V and naive exhaust. I have already found a mosaleen tensioner and heat exchanger but the inter cooler is not available.

So round of mods I'm getting:
CMS stage 2 cams
3.73 gears
Aluminum driveshaft
Steeds x2 ball joints
Steeds bump steer
Mac long tubes with OR prochamber
MGW shifter
MM pan hard bar
MM traction bar
MM control arms
MM sub frames
Tuner and tune

Next mods will be blower cooling mods.
Old 06-14-2017
SOEC Member

if you already have it then that's fine but don't expect gains out of the mosaleen tensioner. I did a test with it and I gained 0 hp despite the guy's wild claims of all this power it would make over the phone. mostly worthless unless your belt is carving a notch into the bottom of your cooling hose. then I can understand getting it.

I agree with the previous sentiment about scrapping the series 1 blower. Unfortunately it's not conducive to modding (you get minimal gains) and it's a really inefficient design.

The tork tech intake does not fit the series 1 and neither will a JLT intake. They never got around to making one that fit our cars as far as I know. It was for the series IV supercharger iirc. I looked into it before I went the tork tech route.

I have most of the mods you're looking at except the cams. Here are my recommendations in order of what I would do:

1. mm sub frame connectors - these are straight up awesome and will make your car feel a lot less sloppy handling.
2. mm torque arm, panhard bar, and lower control arms - made my car feel so much more predictable handling. my car has always felt heavy and sluggish with handling in comparison to my 911. now it feels heavy but nimble. it's a weird feeling to describe. definitely recommend
3. 3.73 gears - a must. changes the feeling of your car
4. aluminum driveshaft - your car revs faster and it makes you feel like you're driving a faster car with that weight gone
5. long tubes (if you're more concerned with the sound rather than handling then bump these and the cams up the list). I don't have either.
6. cams
7. MGW shifter - only reason I haven't done this one is because I'd have to lose the momo shift knob to do it. otherwise I'd do it.
8. tuner and tune - you're wasting money doing it on a series 1. it's a decent but not great thing to do with a series 2. I got to around 400 to the wheels with all my mods and money I spent.

consider adding: coilover kit and caster camber plates to go with your other suspension mods and it'll feel like a lot better handling car. of course to do all this stuff you're talking some serious money.

in retrospect I've become a lot more appreciative of the suspension modifications you can do to really improve the car vs the power mods. Maybe I'm just getting old and straight line speed doesn't thrill me as much. =)

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 06-23-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
if you already have it then that's fine but don't expect gains out of the mosaleen tensioner. I did a test with it and I gained 0 hp despite the guy's wild claims of all this power it would make over the phone. mostly worthless unless your belt is carving a notch into the bottom of your cooling hose. then I can understand getting it.

I agree with the previous sentiment about scrapping the series 1 blower. Unfortunately it's not conducive to modding (you get minimal gains) and it's a really inefficient design.

The tork tech intake does not fit the series 1 and neither will a JLT intake. They never got around to making one that fit our cars as far as I know. It was for the series IV supercharger iirc. I looked into it before I went the tork tech route.

I have most of the mods you're looking at except the cams. Here are my recommendations in order of what I would do:

1. mm sub frame connectors - these are straight up awesome and will make your car feel a lot less sloppy handling.
2. mm torque arm, panhard bar, and lower control arms - made my car feel so much more predictable handling. my car has always felt heavy and sluggish with handling in comparison to my 911. now it feels heavy but nimble. it's a weird feeling to describe. definitely recommend
3. 3.73 gears - a must. changes the feeling of your car
4. aluminum driveshaft - your car revs faster and it makes you feel like you're driving a faster car with that weight gone
5. long tubes (if you're more concerned with the sound rather than handling then bump these and the cams up the list). I don't have either.
6. cams
7. MGW shifter - only reason I haven't done this one is because I'd have to lose the momo shift knob to do it. otherwise I'd do it.
8. tuner and tune - you're wasting money doing it on a series 1. it's a decent but not great thing to do with a series 2. I got to around 400 to the wheels with all my mods and money I spent.

consider adding: coilover kit and caster camber plates to go with your other suspension mods and it'll feel like a lot better handling car. of course to do all this stuff you're talking some serious money.

in retrospect I've become a lot more appreciative of the suspension modifications you can do to really improve the car vs the power mods. Maybe I'm just getting old and straight line speed doesn't thrill me as much. =)
Great input and thank you for taking the time for posting. I'll be doing all your suggestions and I'm not touching the blower or blower related parts, I agree it's not worth the hassle.

I'm leaning towards air lift rather then coil overs but I will do something because the race craft suspension rides like there isn't a suspension