The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 05-20-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default New owner: 02-0653 S281 SC

Hey everyone, new owner/member here. Just wanted to introduce myself. Ive been wanting a S281 SC for a while now. And decided to just go for it. Its #02-653, and has 18,xxx miles on it. I did verify with Saleen beforehand that its authentic. Bought it from a guy in Iowa, and had 2 owners before that in California. The Iowa guy was basically just flipping it, it turned out. For the most part, its all stock from what I can tell. It has an aftermarket grill, which I dont care for. I'll be swapping that out soon hopefully.

Ive never been much of a gearhead, so I may have a bunch of questions (possibly dumb ones) for you guys. Ive just always really liked the 99-04 Saleens. So hopefully shes good to me and doesnt need much work. Thats why I wanted something low miles and all stock. Not something somebody has all modded up.

Gonna have her detailed in a couple weeks and i will post some more pics then!
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2018
Administrator

Congratulations on your purchase!
Old 05-21-2018
Saleen Forums Participant

Very Nice. Enjoy

If you notice IAT's going above 170 check the connection on the ground wire for the intercooler pump. Common problem, easy fix.
Old 05-22-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Ok, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAsaleen View Post
Very Nice. Enjoy

If you notice IAT's going above 170 check the connection on the ground wire for the intercooler pump. Common problem, easy fix.
Old 05-22-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default couple questions

My apologies if any of these questions are dumb. But remember I've never been much of a car guy. Machinist by trade, give me a chunk of metal and I can make the part. But always been afraid to dive into a car project and start taking things apart, and get in over my head.

So heres a couple questions maybe you guys can help me with.

1) The fans on the intercooler turn on automatically after about 15 seconds. Even if its cold. Is this normal? Or did a previous owner wire it up that way?

2) Theres an anti-theft button I have to press before I can start the car. Its pretty annoying. Would like to remove it. How involved do you think it would be to remove it? I can take a pic of it to show you guys if necessary. Its located behind the hood release button.

3) The car sits pretty low. I think I measured just under 26" from ground to top of front wheel well. And a little over 5-1/2" to front fascia. Just wondering if this is normal height for Saleen suspension. I think some guys lower them.

Thanks for any help!
Old 05-25-2018
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default thoughts

For your questions:

1. Yes, this is normal. My pump and fans turn on after 20 seconds of turning my key (accessories). It's a relay and so that it does not interfere with the ecu at start up...or something of the sort. Read it somewhere.

2. Not sure. It is some sort of relay. I would take the car to a car alarm/radio shop and they can pull it. There might be a good electrician in house.
3. Suspension parts usually settle especially with good age. I recently redid my whole suspension with OE Saleen equipment and found it made my car sit about 3/4 inches higher than with the old stuff. Maximum Motorsports/Eibach/Bilstein have good replacement parts for suspension when the time comes.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-26-2018
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thank you for the response DarkStallion. Have a great holiday weekend everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStallion View Post
For your questions:

1. Yes, this is normal. My pump and fans turn on after 20 seconds of turning my key (accessories). It's a relay and so that it does not interfere with the ecu at start up...or something of the sort. Read it somewhere.

2. Not sure. It is some sort of relay. I would take the car to a car alarm/radio shop and they can pull it. There might be a good electrician in house.
3. Suspension parts usually settle especially with good age. I recently redid my whole suspension with OE Saleen equipment and found it made my car sit about 3/4 inches higher than with the old stuff. Maximum Motorsports/Eibach/Bilstein have good replacement parts for suspension when the time comes.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Well spring is just about here, so its almost time to pull the Saleen out of storage. Didnt really do much for maintenance last yr. Suspension was a bit creaky, so I'm most likely going to get new struts/shocks, bushings, from MM.

Couple of questions...

Was thinking of doing the Mosaleen pulley system, or smaller pulley. Just looking to get a little more boost. I only see 4 lbs or so of boost in 3rd or 4th and have to floor it to see it. I believe I read this is about all you will get. This sound about right? What do you guys recommend to get her a little more boost?

Whats the oil change interval for the supercharger? I thought I read its like 40,000 miles. My car only has 19,000 on it.

Would eventually like just a little more rumble to her. Any recommendations on exhaust? Just want it a bit louder, but has to be a deep tone, not raspy.
Old 03-23-2019
Administrator

2002 was a transition year for the cat-back Saleen exhaust system. Early cars used a system from Borla, mid-to-late cars used a system from MagnaFlow.

Regardless of which system, the entire tailpipe length was unique to Saleen applications. The pipes were longer to compensate for the extended distance rear bumper cover.

If you're just looking for sound, you can try an H-pipe swap with less converters.

If you end up cutting the OE mufflers/system apart... just keep in mind it was Saleen specific deal... and someday it might be looked upon as a bad idea.
Old 03-23-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the input Dave. Yeah, I realize its probably best re-sale wise to keep it stock. Now I'm curious if I have the Borla or Magnaflow. Is there any markings on there to see which I have?

If I did do anything with exhaust, I would just remove the stock ones whole and keep them. But I'm guessing since the length is longer, if I got something different it would need to be modified to compensate for the extra length? Or if I just did the H pipe like you said, could that just be put in place of the X pipe, keeping everything else the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
2002 was a transition year for the cat-back Saleen exhaust system. Early cars used a system from Borla, mid-to-late cars used a system from MagnaFlow.

Regardless of which system, the entire tailpipe length was unique to Saleen applications. The pipes were longer to compensate for the extended distance rear bumper cover.

If you're just looking for sound, you can try an H-pipe swap with less converters.

If you end up cutting the OE mufflers/system apart... just keep in mind it was Saleen specific deal... and someday it might be looked upon as a bad idea.
Old 03-23-2019
Administrator

If you wanted to, you could start with and H-pipe swap and see how it sounds. The Saleen cat-back will bolt on to any era correct 4.6 H-pipe.

Yes, it you buy an off-the-shelf 1999-2004 Ford Mustang cat-back system the tailpipes will be short. This can cause burning the rear bumper cover.

The Borla kits use the famous "intercooled" exhaust tips. Its a pipe within a pipe with cooling fins. The MagnaFlow is a simple tip. The muffler cases can be stamped with the manufacture.
Old 03-24-2019
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the info Dave. I have the Borla then.
Old 03-24-2019

That's a nice looking ride you have there.

2002 S/C Saleen Coupe
Torch Red #293
21st Century Heat Exchanger
21st Century Intercooler
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
Old 03-25-2019

Default Exhaust

Yes, I believe the magnaflow's have more of a rectangular shape while the borla's have a more cylinder shape. Magnaflows are slightly bigger I believe. As far as the mid-pipe, I took out the stock 4 cat x-pipe (basically stock 4 cats with the magnaflow x-section welded in part#15447), that is what saleen did to keep the cars smog legal in CA (not to move cat location). I replaced it with the magnflow cat-pipe with 2 high-flow cats (no check-engine light at all). I believe it is part#93335. I also had some ford racing shorties put in, to which I felt a gain. Not sure why people don't do shorties. Probably because they are a lot of trouble to put in and and at times lead to exhaust leaks. But I have a built motor/2.3 blower, so I suppose I had more to gain from it and it worked out fine. But do the x-pipe you will like the new sound without getting annoyed over time with it being too loud and it is completely bolt-on.

Boost is right about 5lbs that is what I have. Saleen tuned the cars very conservatively so to not have new owners blowing up their cars. That was true for both the stock bottom end and even the built engines. I would leave the pulley alone until a re-tune if that is the case.
I too have the mosaleen pulley which I think is good to have anyway to avoid belt slippage (tune is usually optional depending on a/f levels). My car was fine without a tune. Good Luck let us know what you do.
Old 03-31-2019
SOEC Member

Just an FYI the mosaleen pulley does nothing unless your belt is slipping. So if your belt isn't slipping it's a waste of money.

I tested it awhile ago before and after directly on a dyno and it gave 0hp.

As for tuning it if you go that route there are a couple of things you need in conjunction with a smaller pulley.

smaller pulley
focus svt fuel pump
42lb injectors
custom tune

The best 3 mods i've done in terms of bang for the buck are the MM subframe connectors, the 3.73 gears, and probably the aluminum ford racing driveshaft. none of them are particularly expensive. I'd do the subframe connectors before any other mod just because the car felt so much more tight and confidence inspiring afterward.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 04-02-2019

Default Mosaleen

Yes, the mosaleen might not give you a bump in HP, but a few things are for certain, belts change with time, the elements heat, cool, moisture, stretch, residue and deposits. With all that one thing is for sure that when this happens, at least you have the back-up of changing those angles of the belt around the pulley, and slightly smaller belt. It won't hurt. From a design perspective it is more beneficial to have the belt make more contact with the pulley. That is a no-brainer. Kind of like a seatbelt, if you know what I mean :). I figure unless it is proven to have a loss in power, might as well. But again my $.02 can't buy a donut.