The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-23-2012
Suspended Account

Default Q: Extreme Rainbow availability?

Hey everyone! I am new to the Saleen Forums. I am possibly interested in the Saleen Mustang. Would the Extreme Rainbow paint still be an option for the 2013 MY? Does Saleen still do it if custom requested?
Old 10-25-2012
SOEC Member

They still do custom colors, but not sure which. You could call them and ask, or I could look at the brochure when I get home. If not, maybe Jim D will know.
Old 04-28-2013
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

That color would look sick on the 302, although I would wonder how hefty of a price tag it comes with.
Old 04-28-2013
SOEC Member

I don't see that color on their paint list, but the colors they do list are 25K. Could always ask... I think the color would lok sick too.
Old 04-28-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
I don't see that color on their paint list, but the colors they do list are 25K. Could always ask... I think the color would lok sick too.
That's outrageous! But I'm sure they look awesome on the cars!

'00 Saleen SC Spdstr, Extreme Rainbow #387
'02 Saleen Extreme Coupe, Extreme Rainbow #019
'03 Saleen SA-20 Anniversary Speedster #03
Old 04-28-2013
Administrator

2009 was the last model year Extreme Rainbow appeared on the Saleen optional color chart.

If you are seriously interested in a Rainbow vehicle, I would contact the sales representative at Saleen Automotive.
Old 04-28-2013
SOEC Member

I'd love to have mine in "Chromosome!" It was amazing!!

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
I know the rainbow is extremely hard to do and unique, but $25k for a Ford paint job?!? I know ferraris and lambos charge that much for special paints, but their cars are upwards of $250-$300k.

IMO, it is just hard to justify a paint option that will be 25% of what the car costs.
Old 05-01-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialStang View Post
I know the rainbow is extremely hard to do and unique, but $25k for a Ford paint job?!?
Saleen does not charge $25,000.00 for a "Ford paint job." The standard Ford Mustang colors are free with the chassis.

The custom colors require the vehicle to be dismantled, trucked to the contracted painter, painted (color change), returned to Saleen, made running, then converted to the desired Saleen model.
Old 05-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Saleen does not charge $25,000.00 for a "Ford paint job." The standard Ford Mustang colors are free with the chassis.

The custom colors require the vehicle to be dismantled, trucked to the contracted painter, painted (color change), returned to Saleen, made running, then converted to the desired Saleen model.
exactly. Its not just a simple repaint. Hell you go to a shop and get a custom color painted it usually costs 8000-15000 for top notch paint job.
01 Bullitt #3251H/C/Turbo build
92 GMC Typhoon
89 Chevy S10 Cameo
07 Yamaha R1 Candy Red
Old 05-02-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleensonoma View Post
exactly. Its not just a simple repaint. Hell you go to a shop and get a custom color painted it usually costs 8000-15000 for top notch paint job.
Yep, there are several pictures I've seen of cars being completely disassembled for a custom paint. And to get it done right, using a custom shot, a paint job will easily be around $10k....

For obvious reason, this is why we don't see but a small fraction of Saleen's receiving custom paint unless special ordered.

'00 Saleen SC Spdstr, Extreme Rainbow #387
'02 Saleen Extreme Coupe, Extreme Rainbow #019
'03 Saleen SA-20 Anniversary Speedster #03
Old 05-12-2013

Point well taken guys, and thank you for the clarification.

I don't mean to knock on the actual paint job, but to spend $25k on a car that is only worth $75k is like spending $100k on a house paint job whereas the house is only worth $300k.

That is the logical side of me...which is why I will never spend $10k on a set of wheels for a car worth less than $100k. "The frame should never cost more than the painting!"
Old 05-14-2013
Account with Invalid Email

Quote:

I don't mean to knock on the actual paint job, but to spend $25k on a car that is only worth $75k is like spending $100k on a house paint job whereas the house is only worth $300k.

That is the logical side of me...which is why I will never spend $10k on a set of wheels for a car worth less than $100k. "The frame should never cost more than the painting!"
You are correct sir
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 05-14-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:

The custom painted cars are truly unique. That is all those customers are looking for when they buy them. I believe the custom colors are what really have given Saleen a niche in the car market. No other manufacture/modifier gives the option to its customer for a custom color. I am willing to bet that just about any Saleen lover would love to have ANY of the custom colored cars, I know I would. I felt similar about the pricing and thought the colors were a gimmick until I saw a Lizstick Extreme in person. Than I QUICKLY changed my mind. I'd own one in a heartbeat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2013
SOEC Member

I have seen a rainbow paint job in process at Saleen some time ago; probably the 2009 Dave referenced previously...it was stripped down to the frame; and put on a rotisery. The amount of labor and the cost of the paint easily makes up a $25k price tag...I have some pictures somewhere I will have to dig up and post...
Old 05-14-2013

Quote:
Stay away from HRE, forgeline and the other top companies out there then haha, custom wheels sure do cost a pretty penny
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 05-15-2013
SOEC Member

I dont know if any of you saw my post about the rainbow paint that HCM offers, but here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMeZ...ature=youtu.be <----- CAUTION: alot of wind noise so put down your volumes!

HCM can offer the rainbow paint job for $7,500 for the first few people only (2-3). We pull the motor, all moldings, all interior, and paint under the hood, etc. From first hand experience, these guys do an excellent job with the paint job and use good quality paint.
Email: bluffmaster007hcm@yahoo.com

FS: Parts List <---- Click here for a full list of parts

Last edited by bluffmaster007; 05-15-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffmaster007 View Post
I dont know if any of you saw my post about the rainbow paint that HCM offers, but here it is again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nMeZ...ature=youtu.be

HCM can offer the rainbow paint job for $7,500 for the first few people only (2-3). We pull the motor, all moldings, all interior, and paint under the hood, etc. From first hand experience, these guys do an excellent job with the paint job and use good quality paint.
You should warn anyone with headphones they might go deaf. Car looked great though.

Old 05-15-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordS281 View Post
You should warn anyone with headphones they might go deaf. Car looked great though.
lol sorry, forgot to mention there is alot of wind noise so put down your volumes!

Old 05-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxfordS281 View Post
Stay away from HRE, forgeline and the other top companies out there then haha, custom wheels sure do cost a pretty penny
I have HRE on my quattroporte...got it used for the price of less than one wheel
Old 05-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluffmaster007 View Post
lol sorry, forgot to mention there is alot of wind noise so put down your volumes!
I wouldn't say that is an ideal video for viewing the paint job...but it is pretty awesome looking!
Old 05-16-2013

That's a **** good deal for that paintwork
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 06-20-2013
SOEC Member

Here are some more pictures of the paint job and the process to get it painted, to view all the pictures, please "like" us on facebook! Hard Core Muscle

Old 06-20-2013
SOEC Member (Inactive)

You paint all the ground effects, hood, etc. pieces while still on the car as opposed to doing it right and pulling them off and then re-installing after paint. $7,500 does not seem as good a deal in that instance. Your final pictures look good, but anyone looking for a custom paint job knows it is in the details, all the places you can't see, anywhere the old paint may show through. On a car this expenseive, I would think it is worth the 20% premium from Saleen as opposed to the 20% cut you will experience in taking it from original. Just saying!
Old 06-20-2013
SOEC Member

Paint looks awesome but appears more like the Mystic colors; the rainbow I saw being painted at the Saleen Troy plant back in the day had more orange in it...could be just the angles you took pics at...the car I saw at Saline was on a rotisserie frame and the car was stripped literally to sheet metal only..I think it was an Extreme in process; would have been an '08 or '09, cant remember, I have a photo of it somewhere..
Old 06-20-2013
Administrator

Looks like there is an inch gap or so between the bumper covers and the body. The side skirts and door fillers are not on the chassis.

I agree with Bob. This does not look like Extreme Rainbow.
Old 06-20-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksaleen View Post
You paint all the ground effects, hood, etc. pieces while still on the car as opposed to doing it right and pulling them off and then re-installing after paint. $7,500 does not seem as good a deal in that instance. Your final pictures look good, but anyone looking for a custom paint job knows it is in the details, all the places you can't see, anywhere the old paint may show through. On a car this expenseive, I would think it is worth the 20% premium from Saleen as opposed to the 20% cut you will experience in taking it from original. Just saying!
In order to get the paint to match exactly on every panel you need to do have all or most pieces close to the car. It is not the traditional way you would paint a car with all the pieces away from each other. The way we do it is this...

1. We take all the pieces away from the car and we paint them all black

2. we then paint the Kameleon on the inside of all the pieces to ensure that they all have the Kameleon paint

3. We then assemble the car so that all the pieces are as close to the car as possible

4. When the car has been painted complete with the Kameleon paint which is still considered as a basecoat, we then trim the car completely and shoot clear on the pieces separately. That is why you see the pieces away from the car while we are shooting the clear.

The same process was used on all of the Kameleon paints that Saleen did. This process was also used on all of the Candy colors as well.
When we say that doing it right is pulling the pieces off is correct. If you look at our pics you will see that there is no ground effects etc on the car.

The only reason we left the hood, front, and rear bumper on is so the paint can me laid on all the parts equally.

Here is a complete album to see closely
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2000190&type=1

Last edited by bluffmaster007; 06-20-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-20-2013

looks more "mystichrome" like the 03-04's

Old 06-23-2013
SOEC Member

Beautiful color, if not exact. Been to the Saleen plant on several occasions. People always ask why it costs so much for the custom paint, but when you see how far the cars are torn down by Saleen, then you'll understand. There isn't one square inch of the car left untouched. It looks like it came that way from the factory. I always wanted a custom candy, dark shadow blue paint job, but I would be terrified to drive it...lol
Old 06-23-2013

Quote:
Beautiful color, if not exact. Been to the Saleen plant on several occasions. People always ask why it costs so much for the custom paint, but when you see how far the cars are torn down by Saleen, then you'll understand. There isn't one square inch of the car left untouched. It looks like it came that way from the factory. I always wanted a custom candy, dark shadow blue paint job, but I would be terrified to drive it...lol

With that said still overpriced, IMO
13 Boss Laguna Seca #738
05 s281 #1401~ Sold
Old 06-23-2013
SOEC Member

I saw Extreme Rainbow for the first time at Carlisle a couple of weeks ago. I was really impressed. It seemed more red/copper where this car seems more blue/purple. I still love this color anyway. I think the pictures and video of the car look top notch; but the proof would be to see it in person. I really wish I was closer to Cali because for that price, I would jump on it.

06-115 / S281 3V / SuperShaker / AirLift / Zenetti Baron forged / JDM / 3M Liquid Copper Wrap
Old 06-25-2013
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
I saw Extreme Rainbow for the first time at Carlisle a couple of weeks ago. I was really impressed. It seemed more red/copper where this car seems more blue/purple. I still love this color anyway. I think the pictures and video of the car look top notch; but the proof would be to see it in person. I really wish I was closer to Cali because for that price, I would jump on it.
Ship your car to us, we will take good care of it
We only have enough for 2-3 more cars

Old 06-27-2013
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Bluff;

Thanks, that makes more sense. I was trying to wrap my head around what you guys were doing at first. The few I have seen at Saleen getting the Extreme Rainbow treatment were tore down extremely far, much further than I saw in the pictures here. Scott's 97-0173 had the interior and motor/trans completely removed which is how far down they went on his Saleen Cobra Speedster because it was the only one that started out as a Rio Red car from Ford as the owner wanted a white top on the car. Scott's is basically a one-off Extreme Rainbow color even through it is an off-the-shelf BASF Extreme Rainbow batch. On Scott's car and maybe all Saleen Extreme Rainbows, they lay down a basecoat of Silver primer before they shoot the base BASF Extreme Rainbow paint, then the coats of clear. The color and make up of the base coat plays a huge factor into the final effect of the reflective paint on top. It is a very involved process.

Looking at your car there you painted Bluff, it does not look like BASF Extreme Rainbow but more like a House of Kolors Kameleon paint. Angles and sun play a huge factor into the reflected finish but it doesn't reflect as many colors as Extreme Rainbow should.

My BASF S351R Mystic Edition Speedster is unique as it was the only Saleen car painted in BASF's own laboratories. Thus tracking down the proper information and process used has been a huge challenge.

Bluff, in that light, it is not such a bad deal afterall. As an aside, instead of using a special paint like this to create the effect, the new 2013 SRT Viper GTS Stryker Red uses a 3 part process to just the base coat. It is old world custom but it can NOT be matched easily at all if something happens. They are making 17 total for 2013. 2014 has a new color similar to their old Snakeskin green but the prismatic effects. It is Stryker Green. Limited to 15 copies as well. Cost for that paint job for both colors is $14,500. Then again, they start with a bare car at the factory so no tear down. Custom requiers custom price, I guess.
Old 06-27-2013
SOEC Member (Inactive)

If someone pings him, I bet Scott can post some of this Saleen factory build photos for Extreme Rainbow. I know he has them. I saw them before he did