The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Enthusiast Forums > Saleen Enthusiast Events > Southwest
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Southwest Topics for events and get-togethers in California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico & Hawaii.

Old 10-25-2009
Account with Invalid Email

Default 2010 7th annual tour d'Orange -- Orange County, CA -- January 1, 2010

This one is a blast for those who like to drive amongst other beasts on a 70 mile loop through Orange County CA. They meet at the corner of Fisher and Redhill in Costa Mesa with a departure at 9:00 a.m. but you should get there early as there will be more than 250 awesome vehicles.
Last year they proceeded through Laguna Beach on PCH then up high speed boulevards to Live Oak and Santiago Canyons. When they come out onto high speed boulevards everyone is a little antsy and there is spirited driving.

They finish at a large parking lot at In and Out Burger for those who are left. All this takes place on January 1st. 2010.

It's not for those who party all night on New Years Eve or those who rather show their vehicle and not put on the miles. This is a real cruise open to all vehicles from Ferrari's, Lambo's, Lotus's, classics, sports cars, vintage race cars, kits, contemporary vehicles including a Prius (gag me) but there are so many cool vehicles it's really something.

Last year I didn't see any other Saleens but then I didn't see all the cars. This year I want to arrive early to check out the vehicles and share stories.

Hope some of our members can make it. I would set up a meeting place but I'm lucky to get there on time myself. Last year I rolled in at 8:55 not realizing what I was getting into and was so late they let me back into the front row. They took up a commercial side street, 5 across and as far as I could see.

The people were cool and I had a great time. This is the best event of this type all year. It's put on by Bench-Racing. Go to their site and maybe you'll find the post. It's listed under events. They say it will be the only post for this event as it's kind of a low key cannonball run. We do the speed limit most of the time.
Old 10-25-2009
Administrator

Sounds like a good time!!! What can we do to increase the amount of Saleen entries so that you're not alone?

Photos from previous showings.

2009:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/569461336WLSVZi

2008:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/561974367zdmABu

Last edited by Dave; 10-25-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added event coverage.
Old 10-25-2009
Administrator

Well, for starters, we moved it to the Events section and made it a sticky.

Disclaimer: It should be noted that this is not an official club event -- if you crash your car or kill yourself or someone else or do damage to yourself or someone else, don't come crying to us. If you participate, you are on your own.
Old 12-13-2009

Smile What a run

Just a bump to remind any Saleen owner interested that the Tour d'Orange is coming on 1/1/10. If anyone wants to meet up before hand let me know and I'll try to be there.. It would be great to have a group of Saleens together for the visual effect.
Old 12-13-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

would love to but i am saving up for my supercharger.....next year seems like an amazing event.....over the spring we have to meet up again Art a little cruise
Old 12-27-2009

Default 2010 Tour d'Orange

Just another bump to get your attention on this wonderful 70 mile loop of Orange County. Can't beat it. Beasts to the right of you. Beasts all around you. No one out but us at 9:00 a.m. 1/1/10. Go to Bench-racing.com for coordinates, i.e. intersection. Hope to see you there.

Last edited by deluxe; 12-27-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-02-2010

Default 2010 Tour d'Orange

Well, I made it. I posted this on another Saleen site. This was a wild time as you'll see from my post. No accidents that I saw and no crying.

Tiny: So glad to see you at the event. Thanks for taking the time to stop and chat. Your white Saleen is a beauty.
You couldn't of had a better time than I. When I die I want someone to scatter my ashes during this event.

I've got a thread to Jason's website at 281 Motorsports. He took a lot of photos. You guys who didn't make it will see what you missed.

http://www.281motorsports.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2.
If it doesn't open let me know and we'll try something else.

More Lambo's and Ferrari's than last year. Looked like a cobra club had many in attendance. No Prius's or Smart Cars that I saw.
Met Elenore. A white haired female driving a '09 Challenger 6 speed. Bless her heart.

I think there were 4 Saleens. One, a White '07 Extreme purchased by a guy the day before. He said he pulled an end of year power move on a dealer and got his price the amount of which you won't believe.

Same route as last year and same scenario. Lead footing out of the canyons. A Cobra out of the hole past me on the right. I said at a latter stop light, "you must have been going a hundred" he said "at least, but I was too busy watching my tach". He tested a Porsche GT3 which was modified. I think the Cobra was faster. I heard the GT3 guy say at a light talking to a guy in a '60's muscle car, "$160,000.00 and no cup holder".

Honestly, I've never seen more smiles in my life. A guy who brought his wife had a hotrod with a stroked 350, open headers and rear rubber that looked two feet wide. The plastic body was weightless at about 1400 pounds. I caught him during the run and yelled at him. He smiled. Left his teeth at home. He looked like they let him out one day a year for this and he screwed up so bad they put him back in the home for another year.
'06 281SC #222
C&L racing cold air intake
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
McLeod twin disk clutch-sweet
Aluminum flywheel
Professional custom dynotune
455 rear wheel horsepower:biggrin:
Child tested
Mother approved
Old 01-02-2010
SOEC Member

I am the proud new owner of the white 07-0042E. First time out with the car and I must concur, this is a great event. I can't believe the eclectic mix of cars at this cruise. Everything and anything, what a site!. Thanks to Jason for the pics, great job! we need to see more Saleens, Shelbys, Cobras and Mustangs out next year.
Old 01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKN View Post
I am the proud new owner of the white 07-0042E. First time out with the car and I must concur, this is a great event. I can't believe the eclectic mix of cars at this cruise. Everything and anything, what a site!. Thanks to Jason for the pics, great job! we need to see more Saleens, Shelbys, Cobras and Mustangs out next year.
RKN: Welcome to the forum. I'm the guy who was parked next to you in the Silver '06 Saleen. This was a rare run. Nothing like it all year. But if they had one every month it wouldn't be as fun.
Orange County Mustang Club is having a Clean Air Cruise in three weeks. See it on their website. I'm into the cruises where we go somewhere with the beasts. If you make it say hello. That goes for the rest of you guys on the forum.
They need a car count before the run (38 I've heard as of today) so if you plan on going let me know so I can inform Anne their organizer or RSVP the club.

Note: Just got the word on this cruise. Member event. But if some Saleens want to go email me and I should be able to get you in. Artstromer@hotmail.com
'06 281SC #222
C&L racing cold air intake
3.4 pulley
39# injectors
Shelby dual fuel pump
McLeod twin disk clutch-sweet
Aluminum flywheel
Professional custom dynotune
455 rear wheel horsepower:biggrin:
Child tested
Mother approved

Last edited by deluxe; 01-03-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: limit on non members