The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-11-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Stock intercooler gap seal question?

I'm attaching pictures to give you idea. Chicane sells their intercooler that makes all air go through it and not around. I don't want to spend 799.00 simple as that. I've seen some threads pop up and die about designing a custom plate to seal off the gaps.

Is their any cheap way to seal off the intercooler. I don't ever care to remove the intercooler from the intake manifold. Looks like I could use some kind of liquid that gets really hard and is resistant to high temps, maybe to stuff the gaps.

Last edited by 02S/Csaleen; 10-11-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2010
SOEC Member

Your just asking for trouble trying to do it that way!
Do yourself a favor adn leave teh car as is or do what most of us have done adn shell out teh money on teh Chicane piece! It's worth it to do it teh right way 1 time!

'03 SC Coupe (1 of 2) 380hp / 400tq @ 12lbs boost 18x10" rear wheel option
13" Saleen Brakes ◄ Chicane Intercooler ◄ 2.875" VI Xtreme Pulley ◄ 4" polished CAI
75mm TB ◄ Bassani Exhaust (Mid Length Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers) ◄ FRPP 3.73 gears
90mm MAF/42lb Inj ◄ Ford GT Fuel Pump ◄ Rear LCA's ◄ Subframe Connectors + more!
Old 10-12-2010

griffen makes the intercooler too a little cheaper although i have no idea what it looks like but they say it takes care of the gap

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 10-12-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
griffen makes the intercooler too a little cheaper although i have no idea what it looks like but they say it takes care of the gap
From what I understand (could be wrong) but Chicane takes the Griffen IC and improves on it, then sells it for their cost.

'03 SC Coupe (1 of 2) 380hp / 400tq @ 12lbs boost 18x10" rear wheel option
13" Saleen Brakes ◄ Chicane Intercooler ◄ 2.875" VI Xtreme Pulley ◄ 4" polished CAI
75mm TB ◄ Bassani Exhaust (Mid Length Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers) ◄ FRPP 3.73 gears
90mm MAF/42lb Inj ◄ Ford GT Fuel Pump ◄ Rear LCA's ◄ Subframe Connectors + more!
Old 10-12-2010

yea not sure i talked to griffen yesturday and they say it takes care of the gaps

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 10-12-2010

Quote:
yea not sure i talked to griffen yesturday and they say it takes care of the gaps

Price?

Sent off the M90 supercharger today for porting, looking to possibly get the manifold ported. So adding a intercooler would just be awesome.
Old 10-12-2010

550 i can prob get them to do better

Old 10-13-2010
Suspended Account

High temp silicone works just fine.... Use a load and make sure its all connected so it drys in one piece... did it for 6k miles with a 2.2 kenne on top of it pushing 18 psi and it didnt move a bit... I actually have the manifold sitting in my garage with the blower off, ill post a pic tomorrow...
Old 10-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FNFAST View Post
High temp silicone works just fine.... Use a load and make sure its all connected so it drys in one piece... did it for 6k miles with a 2.2 kenne on top of it pushing 18 psi and it didnt move a bit... I actually have the manifold sitting in my garage with the blower off, ill post a pic tomorrow...

Exactly the response I was looking for. No need to spend 800 dollars when you can fill the gaps with high temp silicone. I would love to see a picture :D
Old 10-13-2010

filling the gaps along with a bigger intercooler res should really lower the temps.

Old 10-13-2010

Quote:
filling the gaps along with a bigger intercooler res should really lower the temps.

I have a much larger reservoir and dual bypass heat exchanger. My last step was to seal off the intercooler by any means necessary.
Old 10-13-2010

you got it luckily in the ne we get a nice cool fall and of course winter and let me tell you my car the other day even when it was in 40's out the air charge was in the upper 80's and 90's rolling into 2nd boils the tires and third spins good too. night and day difference

Old 10-14-2010

I would also clean that intercooler. Can't be too efficient covered in oil. After a new intercooler or a cleaning, eliminate all sources of oil from entering the intake.
Old 10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by apicia View Post
I would also clean that intercooler. Can't be too efficient covered in oil. After a new intercooler or a cleaning, eliminate all sources of oil from entering the intake.

:D Did that last night. The intercooler is actually silver haha. I also have eliminated that hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake, so no way is oil getting into the system now.

Last edited by 02S/Csaleen; 10-15-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-19-2010
SOEC Member

Lets not forget the Chican IC, regardless of who makes the core, is a superior bar design which in turn cools better as well, not to mention it is a hell of a lot bigger. Simply closing the gaps won't make up all the cooling gains that you will experience with the Chicane piece.
Old 10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
Lets not forget the Chican IC, regardless of who makes the core, is a superior bar design which in turn cools better as well, not to mention it is a hell of a lot bigger. Simply closing the gaps won't make up all the cooling gains that you will experience with the Chicane piece.

Well i'm just not allowed to spend $800. **** wife

So I have a place up the road called SS Customs making me a plate then welding it onto the intercooler very carefully. Only $300

I know I won't see the gains like I would from chicane, but it will help regardless. Along with my larger reservoir tank and lfp heat exchanger the temps should be great for 11-12psi
Old 11-01-2010

So I caved and bought the Chicane. Anyone know what I can get for my stock intercooler?
Old 11-05-2010
Suspended Account

Take anything anyone will give you???
Old 11-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FNFAST View Post
Take anything anyone will give you???

Will do. Got it on ebay for starting bid of 75 bucks and got 15 watchers already.
Old 11-08-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02S/Csaleen View Post
So I caved and bought the Chicane. Anyone know what I can get for my stock intercooler?
Why the caving? What happened to the plate that the shop was going to make for you?

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 11-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviligloo View Post
Why the caving? What happened to the plate that the shop was going to make for you?

The guy was taking his time. Then he ran into the problem of bending the metal. Then he took 2 weeks off work. Seems like he didn't want to do it.

So I'm happy with the Chicane purchase.

So evil I seemed to have cracked the ****ty plastic intake. Looks like I might also have to purchase the tork teck piece. Since I have mine EGR deleted will it make the install easier?