The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

View Poll Results: What Throttle Body do YOU HAVE or Recommend!?
Performance Products 75mm 3 11.54%
BBK (Brothers Perf) 75mm 8 30.77%
Accufab 75mm 13 50.00%
Other - Please Explain below! 2 7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2010
SOEC Member

Default Advice: Throttle Body upgrade? - 2003 S281 S/C

*Searched and could not find a direct thread on this, so I'm starting one!

I know that the 75mm is the most common size for the upgrade....But...

What I want to know is WHAT BRAND DO YOU HAVE !?
THe prices vary but what about quality...is one better than the other!? If so why?

Samples:

Professional Products $129 (EDIT: MADE IN CHINA!!!!)
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/PP-69223

BBK (Brothers Performance) $209
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/BBK-1701

Accufab $229
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/AF-F7546

Granted I'm hoping for the cheaper one for obvious reasons, but has anyone got a review on it!?

*PS, You may be able to find better prices out there, these are just samples.

'03 SC Coupe (1 of 2) 380hp / 400tq @ 12lbs boost 18x10" rear wheel option
13" Saleen Brakes ◄ Chicane Intercooler ◄ 2.875" VI Xtreme Pulley ◄ 4" polished CAI
75mm TB ◄ Bassani Exhaust (Mid Length Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers) ◄ FRPP 3.73 gears
90mm MAF/42lb Inj ◄ Ford GT Fuel Pump ◄ Rear LCA's ◄ Subframe Connectors + more!

Last edited by SonicBlue; 01-23-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-22-2010
SOEC Member

Accu Fab 75mm Have not tried the other brands. Accu Fab is known throughout the racing world though for top quality. Kennebell uses this brand on the air induction kits they sell as optional with their superchargers.
Old 01-22-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

Mine had a professional products on it when I got the car. I would assume it is 75mm, I havent measured it. I havent had any problems with it or anything, but I also dont know how it felt with the stock TB, so I cant give a comparison. I put a BBK on my 90GT and it woke it up quite a bit, but the throttle return springs on it were stout, made for a super touchy pedal.
Old 01-22-2010
Account with Invalid Email

Professional Products, are Made in China.
Could have something to do with the pricing and quality.
Not sure about the others.

Eric
Old 01-23-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fire View Post
Professional Products, are Made in China.
Could have something to do with the pricing and quality.
Not sure about the others.

Eric
Accu Fab is made in Southern Calif. Visit there website and learn about there rich racing heritage. They are not you mass produced Professional Products throttle body built in China to save cost. Only put the best quality parts on that your Saleen deserves!
Old 01-23-2010
SOEC Member

Accufab all the way.

Check out Lethal performance. I got mine for less then $229
Old 01-23-2010
SOEC Member

OK, well CHINA Performance is out!
Leaning towards the BBK now then! I met Brian (1 of the brothers) at the show last year and he is a really nice guy and knew his stuff!
I don't care for the Accufab casue it is polished...I want the car to look stock when you open the hood! TO an extent
THere is also a 75mm DRAGON intake... found it for around $225

THen there is a MAC TB that Lethal Perf sells for $149 (which exterior of it looks alot like the BBK....MADE IN the USA too!)
http://www.lethalperformance.com/99-...le-body-p-1656

THere is however a STACK RACING TB that American Muscle sells that is only $139!!! Although it too looks polished! I emailed Stack Racing to see if the TB was made in the USA or elswhere! LOL
http://www.americanmuscle.com/sr-tb-75mm-9604gt.html

13" Saleen Brakes ◄ Chicane Intercooler ◄ 2.875" VI Xtreme Pulley ◄ 4" polished CAI
75mm TB ◄ Bassani Exhaust (Mid Length Headers, X-Pipe, Mufflers) ◄ FRPP 3.73 gears
90mm MAF/42lb Inj ◄ Ford GT Fuel Pump ◄ Rear LCA's ◄ Subframe Connectors + more!

Last edited by SonicBlue; 01-23-2010 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-23-2010
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default tb

hey guys how many of you would be interested in having charles from magnum powers/ he is the creator of tork tech, adapt the tork tech intake which uses a oval single blade throttle body. That inake now is available for the series 2 eaton blowers but i talked to him a while back about my car and he can make it work for the twin screw. I think on the m90 blower it picked up 30hp so i would imagine the same ganes if not better on the twin screw. If any of you guys are interested i can work out details and pricing with charles at mp. Bottom line with that intake set up and a chicane intercooler these s4 blowers will really rock. Hell i trapped 116mph in the quarter on wimpy timing and high air charge temps im sure since i have the stock intercooler, more to come if i keep my car.

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 01-23-2010

Eviligloo has done the torck tech intake on the M90 maybe he can chime in on the hp/tq gains. Even with no gains I would think throttle response would be worth it to those that have the 1k to spend.

I am debating putting on my next mod list which includes the chicane intercooler, 42 injectors, LPF heat exchanger and super tank along with the new intercooler pump SonicBlue showed us oh and cant forget get the M90 ported. Dam might have to be two mod lists or just take forever till I install it all lol.
Old 01-23-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
hey guys how many of you would be interested in having charles from magnum powers/ he is the creator of tork tech, adapt the tork tech intake which uses a oval single blade throttle body. That inake now is available for the series 2 eaton blowers but i talked to him a while back about my car and he can make it work for the twin screw. I think on the m90 blower it picked up 30hp so i would imagine the same ganes if not better on the twin screw. If any of you guys are interested i can work out details and pricing with charles at mp. Bottom line with that intake set up and a chicane intercooler these s4 blowers will really rock. Hell i trapped 116mph in the quarter on wimpy timing and high air charge temps im sure since i have the stock intercooler, more to come if i keep my car.
A Tork Tech with a large-Oval TB is exactly what this SC needs!!!!! Talked to them a while back and they were not sure it woudl work! How is Charles planning on doing this!? Will it be the smae setup with an adaption plate or is it a whole diffeent piece they are gonna make!?
I'd LOVE for them to make it work for the Series IV!!!
That would throw a whole new twist on this thread! ahhaah

I'M IN!

Last edited by SonicBlue; 01-23-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2010

yea with all the goodies prob alot more 400hp plus saleens

00gt 10k on the clock saleen s4 blower and full saleen body kit. 2.76 upper, 42's , 90mm maf, 75mm tb, focus pump. high flow cats, stock gt exhaust, 31splines and 373's. best et without body kit was 11.9 at 116mph on et streets. 1.60 sixty foot. way more to come out of this combo sct tuned by me.
Old 01-24-2010
SOEC Member

I took a ride in Evil's car and man that thing flew! Sounded awesome too! Nothing like the sound of a happily fed Eaton. The only issue with this kit thus far is that it requires slight mods to the firewall and the EGR on the saleen blowers is not the same. You need to convert back to the stock GT EGR and then, there is the fact that the EGR tube from the TT inlet doesn't line up in either case. Perhaps TT can address this issue as well. However, buying the whole kit, none of these issues are a problem. It would be nice to run a 2.3 whipple with their current kit, especially if they get the inlet to fit the Whipple. Hell, they could use my car for the mock up! I'd be willing to pay for the parts.
Old 01-24-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werecow View Post
I took a ride in Evil's car and man that thing flew! Sounded awesome too! Nothing like the sound of a happily fed Eaton. The only issue with this kit thus far is that it requires slight mods to the firewall and the EGR on the saleen blowers is not the same. You need to convert back to the stock GT EGR and then, there is the fact that the EGR tube from the TT inlet doesn't line up in either case. Perhaps TT can address this issue as well. However, buying the whole kit, none of these issues are a problem. It would be nice to run a 2.3 whipple with their current kit, especially if they get the inlet to fit the Whipple. Hell, they could use my car for the mock up! I'd be willing to pay for the parts.
On MOnday give them a call and let them know you'll donate the ca for fitment and I'm sure they woudl be up for adding to thier product line!

This sounds like its gonna be amazing... can't wait!

Old 01-24-2010

not trying to hijack, but i'm installing a CAI and my PP 75mm TB on my series II today. I read an article that the computer will adjust to just these 2 items keeping it safe. No tune necessary.

on a side note: I had the professional product one on my stock GT and there was a huge difference. Quality was good from what I can see and the throttle response was excellent. I got it from JLT and if they support it, I will buy it.
Old 01-24-2010

I have heard that too but not sure how true it is. I would think you would be okay just you might not have the same power beacuse you dont have the car tuned for those mods. If you have a handheld you can tune it a little from what I heard.

P.S. saw pics of SonicBlue on SVT from a tampa meet car looks good man like the headlight.........looked like a good turn out too....the TR cobra was sick
Old 01-24-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBlue View Post
On MOnday give them a call and let them know you'll donate the ca for fitment and I'm sure they woudl be up for adding to thier product line!

This sounds like its gonna be amazing... can't wait!
That would be cool, but from what I understand they don't do installs themselves and I believe that they are in the midwest somewhere and I am in CA. I'll have to look at my e-mails from them. I may give it a shot though.
Old 01-25-2010
SOEC Member

I had an accufab 75mm TB before I went with the tork tech setup.

I was in the same position that you were in terms of what manufacturer to get.

If you want the polished accufab TB, american racing has it for $219.

Personally...I can't believe that it would make much difference between the accufab and the BBK. We're not talking huge HP gains from the mod to begin with.

With that being said....I'd probably stick with Accufab or BBK for quality.

3.73 gears
Chicane 66mm Pulley
SCT custom tune
SVT Focus Fuel Pump
13" Brembo Brakes
LFP Heat Exchanger and Supertank
TorkTech Intake
SVT Cobra single blade TB
Chicane Intercooler
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
FPRP Aluminum Driveshaft
Maximum Motorsports LCA's, Subframes, Torque Arm, Panhard Bar, Steering Shaft, Front Control Arms and Aluminum Rack Bushings
MM Coilover kit with caster camber plates
Old 01-28-2010
SOEC Member

Just got an email back from STACK RACING....manufacturing location: China!

I'll probably be getting the BBK one then!

Old 01-28-2010
Account with Invalid Email

It is sad that nothing is "Made in the U.S.A." anymore.
Even WORSE is when made in the U.S.A. stands for junk!
Example: All of the gas pedals that caused Toyota to close plants and stop selling their cars, were made in Illinois!!!!

Eric
Old 01-28-2010
SOEC Member

Quote:
Just got an email back from STACK RACING....manufacturing location: China!

I'll probably be getting the BBK one then!

Buy the Accu Fab. Don't put BBK stuff on your Saleen!
Old 01-29-2010
SOEC Member

I found a used BBK TB on craigslist for $100....plus I already have some BBK stuff on it anyhow!

;)

Old 02-04-2010
SOEC Member

Just curious, but does anyone know which TB and Mass Air Meter Saleen used on the E-cars? I want something that is not going to stand out at the smog inspection.
Old 02-11-2010
SOEC Member

REally like the TB, sounds amazing now.....much more whine!

Last edited by SonicBlue; 02-11-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-11-2010

Quote:
REally like the TB, sounds amazing now.....much more whine!

Yes!!! All I added was a 75mm TB to the stock air intake and it sounds better now with awesome throttle response.
Old 03-21-2010

Does the 2000 SC Series I supercharger use a stock GT throttle body?

Last edited by apicia; 03-23-2010 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2010

Where are you guys buying your cold air kits? All I can seem to find is MAF forward kits or kits for the 03/04 Saleen.

edit: Ordered the Chicane Monster RIPP. It was the only complete kit I could find for a series 1 blower.

Last edited by apicia; 03-23-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2010

Accufab makes the nicest, IMO....quality and reliability are def the best.I ran one on my 2004 Cobra. Never one sticking issue or anything...

Personally, I have a 70mm Ford Racing on my 2004 N/A 281. Got it from Late Model Restoration for only 80 bucks or so.
Old 08-05-2015

Dragon oval for sure all the svt term guys swear by them and i know that i seen a dyno review of stock,dragon,and accu before and after porting and the accu was only like 2 horses different and the cf about the same the dragon blew them out of the water
Old 08-04-2016

Is it okay to put a 75mm on a series 1 with just a mid pipe and cat back? Or will I need a new tune and upgraded fuel injectors/ pump?
1996 #222 1 of 21 in Moonlight Blue 1 of 8 with exact options

3:55's F-Leather 2 Point Chassis Brace

2000 #944 Performance Red 3:08's Chrome wheels, Supercharged, Floormats.

2002 #48 Mineral Gray Extreme
Old 12-08-2016
Saleen Forums Registrant

Hey @OxfordS281

If the car hasn't been tuned before you should definitely consider it but it shouldn't be necessary just to run the new throttle body with a couple other light mods. You may have to do some modification for it to fit, though. To fit the 75mm Accufab unit on mine I had to sand down the opening of the inlet so that the throttle blade would clear. I have a series II but I imagine it would be similar for a series I.
Old 12-11-2016

Guys if you want stock stealth look or worried about smog monster just paint your aftermarket tb. Gray or black will do! I laughed when one poster said he wouldn't buy a accufab tb because it's polished! Lol