The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 01-21-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Q: 2008 S281 Supercharged without the dash pod?

I have a 2008 Saleen S281 supercharged (American Flag Edition) that does not have the typical gauge cluster atop the center dash area. I've never seen another supercharged version that does not have these gauges.
I'm wondering if this was an option (gauge-delete?) for some models...any info is appreciated!
Old 01-21-2020
Administrator

Hi Wolf Blitzer. The Saleen dash pod was deleted for the 2008 Red Flag Edition, 2008 American Flag Edition and the 2009 S281 Sport.

Deleting this pod was part of the supercharged equipped value marketing theory these vehicles offered.

The auxiliary supercharged gauge pod were standard equipment for all models except for what is stated above.
Old 01-21-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks Dave.

That's interesting....Are you aware of any other items that we "deleted" for my Saleen that were part of the marketing value theory?
Old 01-21-2020
Administrator

From memory... the deletions were...

Dash pod, vented hood, quarter window trim, rear wing, front 14" 4-piston caliper/rotor brake equipment, OE Ford headrests w/ unique Saleen seat covers, and 3.55:1 / 3.73:1 rear gear upgrade deleted.

The 2008 RF and AF came standard with chrome Saleen wagon wheels. I do not recall if they all had 20x9" front and rear, or if Saleen did "give" the 20x10" rear wheels as standard.

The exterior graphics package and rear bumper SALEEN fill decals were unique to the RF and AF.
Old 01-21-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the info.

Do you know if it was optional to add some of these "deleted" options back onto the car? Mine has the rear wing and vented hood but it's possible the first owner added these to the car. See pics
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2020
Administrator

These RF and AF models were a spec vehicle. The main differences were exterior colors and graphics (on the AF). Meaning all of the content was the same from vehicle to vehicle.

The hood on your red AF is an aftermarket "Mach 1-style" hood. The rear wing looks to be a Saleen version (or a replica). The fuel door is aftermarket.

The side AF chevrons from Red or White paint cars should be a sold blue stripe followed by a blue fade stripe. Your fade stripe looks black to me, but that could just be the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
8844d1119619991-saleen-hoods-anyone-saleen.jpg  

Old 01-21-2020
Administrator

2008 American Flag photo reference.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-saleen-mustang-american-flag-s281_178_002.jpg  

2008_00045_01.jpg  

2008_00045_02.jpg  

2008_00045_04.jpg  

2008_00045_06.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 01-21-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for the info.

It appears that my car has enjoyed a few modifications (hood, rear wing, fuel door) before I became the owner.

Nonetheless, I have waited a long time to own a 05-09 Saleen and I love it. Looking forward to interacting on the forum.
Old 01-21-2020
Administrator

The 2008 Red Flag and 2008 American Flag are interesting sub-models for the S281 line. They were created at a time when ASC took over the direction of Saleen, Inc and during a time when Saleen was trying to diversify their model line-up to increase sales.

Did you receive the American Flag certificate with your used car purchase?
Attached Thumbnails
030e_3.JPG