The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1984-1993 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1984-1993 Saleen Mustang For the Fox platform Saleen Mustang. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 04-10-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Stolen: 88-0544 Red Hatchback

Hey All,

I hate for this to be my introduction to everyone but I am trying to spread the word. My 88 Saleen #544 was stolen from my apartment complex on Saturday morning. The thieves must have done alot of watching as they came in right after I went to work, they came with a battery as it did not have one or a tow, and they brought brass balls with them to take it at about 9am from a packed parking lot. Unfortunately I did not get back from work til 7pm that evening and at that point, I'm sure the car is long gone.

This car had serious sentimental attachment to me, my father bought the car new and I inherited it back in 2005 when he passed away. I learned how to drive a stick on this car (and being on a rebuilt tranny, it shows), I even learned how to do a burnout/brake stance in this car. This was my baby and I'd been saving a little bit of money, til the market crashed, to have her repainted and replace some tired parts. It was a rare combination too with the Red on Red hatchback, a sunroof, 3.55's, and the stick. According to Saleen in 2005 it was one of only 12 Saleens with the red gut and the only one with the sunroof. Obviously with the new red interiors, I'm sure that number has changed.

Either way, I just needed to share my pain somewhere. Hopefully one day in the future I'll be able to get another one, someday.

VIN: 1FABP41E6JF264382
Miles: Approx 67k
PD: Cranston Police Department: Det. John Ryan - 401-942-2211 x.5066
It did not have the ID number on the front bumper anymore
The spoiler had a crack right along the edge of it
The Pass side exhaust tip had melted into the edge of the cutout in rear valance
The Driver headlight was severly rusted and nonfunctional
Small scuff on pass side of front bumper, right by the start of stripping below headlight
It did not have the center caps on the wheels
The pass seat was not aligned properly and had somewhat of a lean to it.
Black marks in the lower rear glass where an amplifier I once had rubbed against the glass.
The rear hatch did not stay open, the struts were shot.
It had Koni Yellow series installed, not the original Monroe system
It also had a brighter red pinstriping

As I said, just passing along more info to anyone I can. I've been calling all local shops trying to put the word out, but who knows if its local. I know that the red flofit interior is one of 6 made according to Liz at Saleen. I hope that helps me find this car, I just want it back.

Thanks All
Old 04-10-2009
Administrator

Old 04-10-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks for posting the pictures for me. Its still amazing to me that other people had pics of my car, but its much appreciated
Old 04-10-2009
Account with Invalid Email

Angry

Dave, deserves some credit for getting the word out ASAP!
We will all be on the look-out for it!!!!!!!

Eric

Last edited by 67fire; 04-10-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-10-2009
SOEC Member

There are no other Fox Saleens in WMASS that I know of, so this will be easy to spot if it makes it up here. I'm sorry to hear about this. :(
1987 Saleen #223
1980 Mustang
2003 AB Mustang Mach 1 (x2)
Old 04-10-2009
Suspended Account

same here, i havent seen one of those out here in Westport Ma. i can probably be safe to say i dont know of any in Fall River or New Bedford. but a good key would be is to see it with the side strips an no! bumper # an my 331 SC is a magnet. shell be comming out soon! so one never knows. will look out for ya!
Old 04-10-2009
Suspended Account

I'll pass the post on to my fellow members at Ford Slick 60's club.
we hates low lifes that take what's don't belong to'um, especially when it comes to our Ford's
Old 04-10-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default On the Lookout in Delaware

WOW, Crazy to see that our cars are just 1 digit off. Yours is 88-0544 and mine is 88-0554. They were so close on the production line that it's crazy but if I hear or see anything, that number of your car is easily etched into my memory bank. Will keep eyes pealed!!!!
Old 04-10-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks all for the help. I will find this car, even if it kills me...but I sure hope it doesn't.

Dave, thanks so much for getting the word out. I saw the email sent this morning and that just awesome, it is very much appreciated!

554...its amazing how that number will stick with you. I won't be able to forget yours either, it stinks that as searching the web for it I keep coming up with stuff referencing 544, but for other years....gets my hopes up only to come crashing back down.
Old 04-10-2009
SOEC Member

Hey Swish,

Sorry to hear about the car. I work in southern RI for a PD. I got the email alert on my blackberry and scanned 95 for a few hours today. No sign of it. When I left I made sure some friends in westerly, hopkinton and west greenwich new to keep an eye out. I have a new Extreme hope to see your car at the Tasca show this year, back in your possession.

risaleen-

maybe we can all save an ebay auction search with the vin in it. That way if it ever gets on the web we can find it. Just an idea.... I bet we have a lot of web watchers that notice when anything saleen gets listed anywhere.
Old 04-11-2009
SOEC Member

It's on Militarystangs.com too.
Can beleive the balls of this thief. I hope he finds him and rips his toenails out.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 04-11-2009
Administrator

If the vehicle in question gets pieced out or even re-VINed... two of the key features to spot will be the red Saleen FloFits and red Saleen Mustang door inserts.

Other than that... keep your eyes open for ARE basket wheels, 1988 aero kit, 1987-88 gauge cluster with showing similar miles.

Saleens are a strange theft... If you hide/ remove the conversion, vehicle value is no more than a 5-Liter LX... or if you leave it as it stands... someone will eventually find it. If you part-it-out... no large money to be made... and still, someone will eventually find it.
Old 04-12-2009
Suspended Account

Hope these guys die a long painful death one day. I cant imagine someone stealing my baby I would have to put some holes in um for sure.
Old 04-12-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

I do think that due to its rarity I should somehow be able to track it down again.

Tuna, The car behind my Saleen was my father's 1989 Porsche 911 Turbo. Those pics were taken right after he passed away and at that point it had 18k miles on it, he purchased it new. What a gorgeous car that was, I only wish we didn't have to sell it.
Old 04-13-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
I do think that due to its rarity I should somehow be able to track it down again.

Tuna, The car behind my Saleen was my father's 1989 Porsche 911 Turbo. Those pics were taken right after he passed away and at that point it had 18k miles on it, he purchased it new. What a gorgeous car that was, I only wish we didn't have to sell it.
I'm sorry to hear that.

That Porsche is a beaut. It looks lower than or wider. I can't tell but it looks a little diffrent. Either way it's looks awsome. Hope you get your car back and hopfully in one piece.
Old 04-12-2009
Suspended Account

Sorry to hear of the loss. I am in Florida - Tampa area.
I posted a link on TheStangGang.com for you, and I will watch out for your car. Good luck with the recovery .
Old 04-13-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

sorry to hear about this. i would be posting on a few drag race forums if i was you as well. hope you catch the bastard.
Old 04-14-2009
SOEC Member

Default Stolen Saleen

Hello from Sweden and Anders Nylén S281 S/C #06-1072 Vista Blue.
I just read about your big and painful loss of your rare Saleen ! You have my deepest sympathies because i got so upset and mad when i read it and i really hope you will find your car in one one way or another again(which i am certain that you will !!),...and that the thieves get what they deserve......a lot of pain. I think your car is so very special, beautiful and rare with the red on red color combination, so the thieves will get a very tough time to try and sell it, or even just driving it without any of us Saleen enthusiasts spotting it and reporting it to you or the local Police dept. I will keep my eyes open and look for your beauty in my part of the world if the thieves try to export it and sell the car anywhere in Europe.
Best wishes to you from Sweden and Anders Nylén, ....and i will keep my fingers crossed that you soon will have your beautiful Saleen back in your garage again !
Old 04-15-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default 544

Any word, tips or leads on 88-0544? Just curious
Old 04-16-2009
Suspended Account

Swish, again im sorry to hear about you Saleen, but near my house here in Westport Ma. i just noticed a 2004 (that style body) Saleen mustang for sale RED! if interested let me know an ill check it out for ya an let ya know. what i find out. just thought id let ya know.
Old 04-24-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Sorry to hear that man! That just makes me sick. I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 05-02-2009
Suspended Account

Any updates ?
Old 06-16-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Swish

I have my eyes out in connecticut. Sorry to hear about it.
Old 08-01-2009
Suspended Account

Any updates about the car ? I hope you have recovered it by now.
Old 06-09-2010

I realize its a older post but are there any updates on this car?
88-337 - sold
88 LX HB - sold
Old 06-11-2010
Saleen Forums Participant

I emailed swish 1 mile ago. He responded and there were no changes in the status of this car.
Old 07-17-2010

What is the point of stealing a car that you cannot drive around just because of how noticeable it is. It is like stealing a Picasso and will never be able to show it around. Wonder if people even know what they are stealing. Sorry that it happened to you.

Last edited by Gr@vE; 07-18-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2011
Suspended Account

Cool

It's been a while since anyone posted anything about this car, was it ever found ?

Look what I ran across, you don't see Red Flofits ever and this car has them.

Maybe a coinisdence

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=270694258338
Old 01-19-2011

Great memory bill.... that is a rare car
Old 01-19-2011
Inactive Account

Nice looking car, WOW that is bright inside.
Old 01-19-2011
Administrator

88-0544 is the lone red-on-red 1988 hatchback with a factory sunroof.
Old 01-19-2011

Dave, so you are saying that THIS IS THE STOLEN SALEEN?
Or that all of the parts FROM THE STOLEN SALEEN are now in this body?

Eric
Old 01-19-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fire View Post
Dave, so you are saying that THIS IS THE STOLEN SALEEN?
No. The eBay vehicle, 88-0329, does not have a factory sunroof.
Old 01-19-2011

I saw that, that's why I was asking also if all of the parts were swapped into this other body.
And a bogus bumper number used as well?
What does that bumper number come up as in the Saleen book/info?

Eric