The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 02-03-2009
Suspended Account

Unhappy S331 SC Problems!

I just wanted to comment on the poor Customer service and quality of Saleen/S331 SC,# 07-279 brake upgrades. I have owned my truck since new and have had most of the problems that are posted here, Truck has 19 k miles, 1. 1500 Miles both fan fuses went out/one stoped working had to replace both relays, 2.Truck never ran right, surging on cruise control ect. had to spend 2 k with JDM to get it to run/shift right. 10 K front tires outside wear, 2 new tires/front end alignment, had brake issues squealing at low speeds dealer ship turned rotors/deglazed pads, now I have metal to metal on drivers side brakes and the truck is in the shop. Saleen isn't returning phone calls so the dealership is stuck. Truck is at Sunset Ford in Westminster CA, Steve White is the rep and his number is 7148980744. I spent alot of money for this truck and I love it when it runs right but being as they only made 400 and everyone is having similar problems I would think Saleen would at least return phone calls and try and help s331 owners out. We are at the mercy of them since they have the parts. ... I'll never buy another car/truck from them again....
Old 02-04-2009
Saleen Forums Participant

First I'm not a Saleen employee and in no way am I going to their defense but keep in mind they are a company in turmoil right now. Sales are at an all time low, Steve Saleen left the company, they had to auction off mountains of parts at a fraction of the cost, they have laid off lots of people etc.

As for the front brakes, sound to me that you should have expected to be replacing them right about now. The standard F150 brakes are under sized for this near 6000lb truck but then add all this horsepower and what do you think the result is. That's why Saleen offers the 15" 6 piston caliper upgrade.
Old 02-04-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default brakes

well I think, like Richard says that 19K out ofa set rotors/pads is pretty normal, I do about the same or actually even less with the alcon brakes on my XP8.
Does anybody know if these kits are still offered, I would like to have the larger brakes as well( suits better with my driving style...)

Hennie
Old 02-04-2009

I'm not sure what the Saleen 15" brake kit goes for aftermarket but I have my eye on the Baer kit but it's like $3000
Old 02-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_P_Harvey View Post
I'm not sure what the Saleen 15" brake kit goes for aftermarket but I have my eye on the Baer kit but it's like $3000
I'll even settle for knowing where to buy new pads for the 15 inch brakes. Surely yuo can get them from somewhere other than saleen. Im nowhere close to needing them yet thank god but wouldnt mind knowing other options of places to get them when the time arises...I can put em on myself in a day rather than let ford have my truck for a week waiting on the parts from saleen.
Old 02-04-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner1 View Post
I just wanted to comment on the poor Customer service and quality of Saleen/S331 SC,# 07-279 brake upgrades. I have owned my truck since new and have had most of the problems that are posted here, Truck has 19 k miles, 1. 1500 Miles both fan fuses went out/one stoped working had to replace both relays, 2.Truck never ran right, surging on cruise control ect. had to spend 2 k with JDM to get it to run/shift right. 10 K front tires outside wear, 2 new tires/front end alignment, had brake issues squealing at low speeds dealer ship turned rotors/deglazed pads, now I have metal to metal on drivers side brakes and the truck is in the shop. Saleen isn't returning phone calls so the dealership is stuck. Truck is at Sunset Ford in Westminster CA, Steve White is the rep and his number is 7148980744. I spent alot of money for this truck and I love it when it runs right but being as they only made 400 and everyone is having similar problems I would think Saleen would at least return phone calls and try and help s331 owners out. We are at the mercy of them since they have the parts. ... I'll never buy another car/truck from them again....

I understand where your at right now but it doesnt look like Saleen is going to be helping with the brakes any time soon. What parts are needed, i have a new set here as well as a few take off parts that are still good from our truck. We were able to squeeze 3 sets of brakes out of our trucks in 60K miles. Ill get you a killer price (actually too low to mention) on the new set.

Call me up if you need help with that. I dont know if you were trying to get it done under warranty but it looks like that could be a long hard road.

Last edited by JimIII@JDM; 02-04-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-04-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen190 View Post
I'll even settle for knowing where to buy new pads for the 15 inch brakes. Surely yuo can get them from somewhere other than saleen. Im nowhere close to needing them yet thank god but wouldnt mind knowing other options of places to get them when the time arises...I can put em on myself in a day rather than let ford have my truck for a week waiting on the parts from saleen.

Mintex MDB 2319
FMSI D824
Ford Excursion 00-05
Ford F250 Super Duty 98-04
Ford F350 Super Duty 98-04

This is what Saleen uses...im sourcing alternatives as we speak
Old 02-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner1
1. 1500 Miles both fan fuses went out/one stoped working had to replace both relays,
Did replacing the relays help? If so, you are fortunate as Saleen's solution now is to replace with a cheap mechanical fan

Quote:
2.Truck never ran right, surging on cruise control ect. had to spend 2 k with JDM to get it to run/shift right.
Why did you spend $2k with JDM? Saleen offers a reflash that solves these problems for free

Quote:
10 K front tires outside wear, 2 new tires/front end alignment,
Welcome to the world of oversized wheels and tires. If you do not drive your truck everyday, try to at least move it every other day. These tires WILL develop nasty flat spots.

Quote:
had brake issues squealing at low speeds dealer ship turned rotors/deglazed pads, now I have metal to metal on drivers side brakes and the truck is in the shop.
I am hearing of this more and more often with these trucks. Most times the brakes are going out right around 20k miles

Quote:
Saleen isn't returning phone calls so the dealership is stuck. Truck is at Sunset Ford in Westminster CA, Steve White is the rep and his number is 7148980744. I spent alot of money for this truck and I love it when it runs right but being as they only made 400 and everyone is having similar problems I would think Saleen would at least return phone calls and try and help s331 owners out. We are at the mercy of them since they have the parts. ... I'll never buy another car/truck from them again....
Saleen is very short staffed right now. They were recently bought out and I am told that many people will be losing their jobs. To my knowledge there are only two people in the customer service department. Last week, there was either one or none. I am sure they are being bombarded with phone calls with problems from all kinds of owners (my dealer included) I am with you though, we were considering buying a new Saleen or an 08 model. With everything going on, we decided on something else.
Old 02-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimIII@JDM View Post
Mintex MDB 2319
FMSI D824
Ford Excursion 00-05

This is what Saleen uses...im sourcing alternatives as we speak
Jim, pardon my ignorance, do all of those above listed pads fit our 15 inch upgrade? As in ....can I run to "autozone" or some autoparts store and tell em I need brake pads for a 05 excursion or an 04 250/350 and get the part I need? I assumed that these used some special super *** expensive pads just because it was a saleen and upgrade. Didnt expect just run of the mill pads from another vehicle to work?? if so, maybe these wont be near as expensive as I was expecting
Old 02-04-2009

Quote:
Jim, pardon my ignorance, do all of those above listed pads fit our 15 inch upgrade? As in ....can I run to "autozone" or some autoparts store and tell em I need brake pads for a 05 excursion or an 04 250/350 and get the part I need? I assumed that these used some special super *** expensive pads just because it was a saleen and upgrade. Didnt expect just run of the mill pads from another vehicle to work?? if so, maybe these wont be near as expensive as I was expecting

GREAT QUESTION!
Old 02-04-2009
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Quote:
correct!

S331 15" brakes use same brake pads as:

Ford Excursion 00-05
Old 02-04-2009

good deal, finally some good news on the truck. Something that be fixed relatively cheap
Old 02-04-2009
SOEC Member

Well with Saleen laying everyone off and staff being short it all makes since now. I have been calling my saleen dealer for the past week now about the "fuel rail hose assembly" recall. My truck was recalled due to this and I am waiting on my dealer to recieve the parts so I can take the truck in and have them replaced. A week later and they say no response from saleen. I was beginning to think that they hadn't even contacted them at all. Even though they are short staffed right now I would still like to get my parts in before my hose starts leaking gas and I lose my truck b/c it catches on fire.
Old 02-04-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnouts331 View Post
Well with Saleen laying everyone off and staff being short it all makes since now. I have been calling my saleen dealer for the past week now about the "fuel rail hose assembly" recall. My truck was recalled due to this and I am waiting on my dealer to recieve the parts so I can take the truck in and have them replaced. A week later and they say no response from saleen. I was beginning to think that they hadn't even contacted them at all. Even though they are short staffed right now I would still like to get my parts in before my hose starts leaking gas and I lose my truck b/c it catches on fire.
We've been told the recall isn't urgent to the point where there's a big risk of trouble, but we understand your being nervous.

Contact Jess Albright (he's here on the forums, but I PM'd his contact info), and Jess should be able to help get a better idea as to the timeframe until parts can be shipped to your dealer.

Be sure to include your truck number, VIN, dealer contact and your contact info.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 02-05-2009
Suspended Account

First of all I appriciate all the responses. Still no returned phone calls from saleen. To clarify 15 inch brakes and did have them inspected around 12 k when they resurfaced the rotors pads. Its funny if it were a wear issue why does the passenager side pad still have 30 percent and the drivers side is totaly gone with the rotor showing uneven wear.. like thehub is not seating properly. Wasn't there a recall on the hub assembly? The dealership wont doing anything until saleen calls, I need pads and at least one rotor... I dont think one pad wearing like this is normal is it.. Jim I ll call u.. thanks
Old 02-05-2009

MtRunner, there was a recall on Hubs. I want to say that was on the 06/early07 models, but dont hold me to that. You are, CERTAINLY NOT the first person to have this same issue with brakes. A local S331 owner has had the same issue....and not getting any help.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 02-05-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:

Those are the applications that will work for your S331, that is copied directly from the Mintex box that the pads come in. I had a spare set on the shelf plus one set in a kit. You should just be able to run to any parts store and ask for any of those year/models i posted below. Believe it or not they are just a run of the mill brake pad! They are kinda cheap, especially since the word Saleen is no longer attached to them!

JimIII
Old 02-05-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner1 View Post
First of all I appriciate all the responses. Still no returned phone calls from saleen. To clarify 15 inch brakes and did have them inspected around 12 k when they resurfaced the rotors pads. Its funny if it were a wear issue why does the passenager side pad still have 30 percent and the drivers side is totaly gone with the rotor showing uneven wear.. like thehub is not seating properly. Wasn't there a recall on the hub assembly? The dealership wont doing anything until saleen calls, I need pads and at least one rotor... I dont think one pad wearing like this is normal is it.. Jim I ll call u.. thanks

Man im telling you its a tough time to deal with Saleen right now, hopefully that will all change. But if not we are hear! Looking forward to your call just ask for me! 732-780-0770

JimIII
Old 02-05-2009

You could also upgrade to a HAWK pad for an F250 superduty. I dont know if that will fix any problems, but stopping power should be a lot better! They are more expensive though.
Old 02-05-2009

when it come's to stopping power I would never settle for the cheaper pads. I usually buy ferodo pads for agressive street use
you'll better stop 1 ft earlier than 1 inch too late

Hennie
Old 02-05-2009
Administrator

We posted the Hub-related service bulletin for you here: http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthr...4384#post14384

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 02-07-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

It's good to know I didn't get a lemon. Ok. So i got my S331 SC, bumper number 30, in may of 08, didnt have it long before i left for europe so i didnt get to enjoy it much. well i come back, get to driving it around, go to wash it one day and i notice some paint cracking around my grill. got to looking and it was everywhere, so we begin to contact saleen about fixing it. they toy and toy and toy with our local dealership. well mean while i move to UT in knoxville and im on my way back up and the truck starts shaking, ive been working on cars for a while now so i immediately knew what was wrong, i knew atleast one spark plug had fowled.....at 12000 MILES!!!!!. well i didnt make it to chattanooga(about half way) and i had to drop it off at the local ford dealer. took them TWO WEEKS to get saleen to send them spark plugs. so when it was all said and done with saleen REFUSED to pay for anything except the spark plugs. They wouldnt pay for labor or anything, so we had to pick up that bill. well we finally get the truck to paint and when it was done, yet again, saleen REFUSED to pay for the paintjob, so the dealer (whom our farm has dealt with many times) picked up the tab for the paint job and to this day saleen WILL NOT pay them back. I think this is just ridiculous. Oh. and to top it off, the front tires wore out from toe in after 10000 miles and my speedo is horribly off. at 45 im really going 50 and 60 im really 75. Oh and 12mpg sucks too! I had a king ranch before this with and Injen CAI, Edge chip, and exhaust and it got 16mpg and i thought that was awful. Ok, I'll stop my rant now. All in all, its a great truck as far as performance goes. It keeps up with stock G35's and will dust any factory 05+ mustang and any older mustang with light mods. Had it on a dynojet with only about 500 miles on it and it did 310whp and 390ft/lbs, not even broken in yet.
Old 02-07-2009

HOLY S**T!!! Im seriously wishing I had done a little more research on this truck before buying it last week the more of this crap I read. !
Old 02-09-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

Well i mean once its all said and done with its a great truck! i didnt mean to scare you, i was just telling the problems i personally had. Even with those problems i ABSOLUTELY love the truck and was worth the problems.
Old 02-10-2009

Well,
After my '00 S281SC was totalled in '06, I needed a truck and purchased a '03 Lightning..Then in spring of last year, I went to my local Saleen dealer and took a look at a '08 S331..Drove that truck and was not impressed..Comparing the Lightning with the Saleen..No comparing the Saleen to the Lightning..
Now the S331 is a sexy beast..but the Lightning is just a beast..And with all the problems of a S331..I glad that I didn't sign on the line..
Old 02-11-2009
Suspended Account

Its been a week now and dealership called and said Saleen finally called and wants them to fill out a warranty claim form... Wondering how long this will take . I think it was jesse who called. Jim said he had the parts for the 15 inch brakes but turns out he didn't have the rotors.. any ideas were I can get some... need back up in case saleen falls threw.. As far as the fan relays, the fans motors are top of the line bullet proof ... saleen used a cheap relay... I purcahsed 2 from toyer and havent had a problem with with again... Ill keep you posted on the responses from Saleen ...
Old 02-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenJ911 View Post
Well,
After my '00 S281SC was totalled in '06, I needed a truck and purchased a '03 Lightning..Then in spring of last year, I went to my local Saleen dealer and took a look at a '08 S331..Drove that truck and was not impressed..Comparing the Lightning with the Saleen..No comparing the Saleen to the Lightning..
Now the S331 is a sexy beast..but the Lightning is just a beast..And with all the problems of a S331..I glad that I didn't sign on the line..
You cant compare the lightning with the S331. I have owned both. The lightning was a great performer....until you get to the 425-450 rwhp range....then, good luck with your rods....I dont care what ANYONE says about "its all in the tune." Or, if you have a pre-2003 Lightning, have fun when one of your plugs blow out of the heads with only 4 plug threads. As I said though, great performing truck - thats not sarcasm. Just remember though...it is MUCH lighter than the S331. It also came from the factory with twice the boost as an S331. Additionally, I would have a hard time seating 4 people comfortable in my lightning.

The S331 was built for better performance over a stock F150 and is very roomy. With $1000 in parts it runs in stock lightning territory...and weighs 1000lbs more. With $2500 in parts, it runs with modified lightnings and will darn near out handle them also.

However, that all being said....you could buy 2 600rwhp lightnings for the price of one S331 :) Just make sure you compare apples to apples.
Old 02-11-2009

Points well taken,
They are certainly not the same thing..but just trying to compare the fact that they are Ford trucks..I was serious about the S331 because of the roomy aspect..Thats the one thing about the Lightning I don't like is that it's only a reg. cab..
I only was about to test drive the S331..so I really couldn't hammered on it..but I was not impressed by the handling capabilities..
I don't regret the fact that I didn't buy one..and I'm certainly NOT trying to harsh on your mellow that you have one..just glad I didn't for the TSB and customer service problems..
I remember when I blew a supercharger gasket and was on hold with Saleen for 3 days trying to get one..so I don't miss those days of frustration..
Old 02-11-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenJ911 View Post
Points well taken,
They are certainly not the same thing..but just trying to compare the fact that they are Ford trucks..I was serious about the S331 because of the roomy aspect..Thats the one thing about the Lightning I don't like is that it's only a reg. cab..
I only was about to test drive the S331..so I really couldn't hammered on it..but I was not impressed by the handling capabilities..
I don't regret the fact that I didn't buy one..and I'm certainly NOT trying to harsh on your mellow that you have one..just glad I didn't for the TSB and customer service problems..
I remember when I blew a supercharger gasket and was on hold with Saleen for 3 days trying to get one..so I don't miss those days of frustration..

I hear ya man....if I had to do it all over again....id buy a built lightning and a Saleen mustang ....for the same price I paid for my truck :)
Old 02-11-2009

something else to remember trying to compare L's to s331's....my 475 hp L wasnt trying to turn over 23 inch armor clad chrome wheels either. take all the issues the 331 has out and I love it and dont regret the swap at all. Wasnt like my l didnt have its fair share of issues either....atleast 4 times I had to be carried to my tuner on a roll back b/c I launched plugs out! that was the most irritating of all the problems I ever encountered with it though....more irritating b/c it happened so many times !!! I hope to see a problem free truck after the install of troyers stage 1 kit, the fan relays replaced, front end re-alignmnet, and pinion angle corrrected. Hopefully there will be thousands of face hurting, smiling miles driven after these things fixed.
Old 02-11-2009

It is very discouraging to see a company that I like so much produce a vehicle that has it's fair share of problems(Mustang, Focus or F-150)..I would being nice to think that such a nice vehicle would have had more R&D..I wouldn't pass up on a S331 for a great deal that's for sure..
A quick story on my L..I bought it with some aftermarket stuff done to it ( s/c pulley, intake, exhaust, lowered, drive loop) with just under 33K on the odometer..well less the 24 hrs later and 50 miles on it..I let her eat for the first real good blast..about 85-90, it shifted into 3rd and...boooom 007 smoke screen..#3 rod ventilated the block..well the dealer replaced the entire long block..$10K with it all done..
I just want everyone to know how much I love Saleen products..I'm not trying to knock anyone's choice of buying the truck..Honestly, I was not aware of any issues that they had when I was at the dealership loooking at the S331..The only decision was the price tag and the uncertainity with being able to keep up with the payments..I envy anyone that has a Saleen..I used to but it was taken in a tragic accident..but someday I'll be in the game again..
Old 02-11-2009

How did you get ford to cover that block??? they wouldnt even cover my first plug expulsion with the only upgrade at that time being a freakin K & N filter!!! I hadnt even begun to start modding at that time ( it only had 12k miles on it ) but needless to say when they voided my warranty due to something as simple as a air filter....GAME ON!! Had about 150hp bolted on within a year of that incident, if they werent gonna cover my warranty over something as petty as an air filter to fix a VERY WELL KNOWN issue those trucks had... no point in waiting on the 3year/36k miles. And apparently it seems this truck is having the same issues....Saleen wont even cover an unmodded truck ti fix issues they are aware of AND caused at the speed shop ( front end alignment, pinion angle for example)....so , Im fixing to go ahead and stimulate the economy through troyer and jdm.