The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 11-18-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Guy...

Hi everyone. New-B Here. I don't have a S331 but I do have a 2007 Harley Davidson F-150 with the Saleen blower option. So far I've added a Mcgaughy's 2/4 drop kit, JDM Stage 1 kit, and I modded the JDM airbox to make it ram-air, and a few other things not really worth mentioning. Pics of the modded airbox can be seen here:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/79...op-issues.html

If you read the link you can also see that I am having terrible wheel hop issues. Does anyone know where I can get some long bars for the truck? I know JDM makes some but they are $500. Just looking for some other options.

Also does anyone have dyno numbers or track times? With or without the JDM kit. I live about an hour away for PSI Motorsports in Houston but I just haven't had time to get the truck over there on the dyno.
Old 11-18-2008
SOEC Member

Welcome to the site. All enthusiasts are welcome as well as owners. I can't help you on the traction bars, but PAtrick over at PSI gets nothing but high marks from the Mustang guys on this side of town. They run a couple of fast Ford trucks out of that shop as well.
Old 11-18-2008
Administrator

Welcome to the forums sman113!
Old 11-18-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

sweet, another S331 owner. I saw in the link that troyer has a kit for these trucks? Can you email me some pics of the JDM kit installed on your truck and can you tell me more abot the troyer kit?

light02atl@yahoo.com
Old 11-19-2008
SOEC Member

Welcome to the fold.
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 11-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
sweet, another S331 owner. I saw in the link that troyer has a kit for these trucks? Can you email me some pics of the JDM kit installed on your truck and can you tell me more abot the troyer kit?

light02atl@yahoo.com

Troyer does make a kit for the truck that is similiar to the JDM kit. I think the only difference is that the JDM kit uses the closed airbox and tube from the Roushcharger and the Troyer kit uses a open cone filter Air Force 1 kit. Both come with the 3.2" pulley and belt for 8lbs of boost. JDM kit comes with 1 custom tune and the Troyer kit comes with 3 custom tunes. I paid $1895 for the JDM kit and I heard the Troyer kit was priced around $1000-$1200. JDM also has a Stage 2 kit with the only difference being the pulley. It's a 3" pulley making 10 lbs of boost. But if you go Stage 2 it is recommended that you have long tubes and hi-flow cats so your motor doesn't go BOOM. Troyer and JDM both offer valve bodies for the trans and E-Fans - Troyer's price's are better though. I am also talking to JDM about and upgraded heat exchanger... They said they could possibly fit one but needed a pic to the front of my truck to be sure. I just haven't sent them the pic yet.

I'll try to get some pics up of my truck soon.
Old 11-20-2008

I think the 3" pulley should make about 12psi. I think thats what Jim Jr runs on his truck. Long tubes and his free flowing exhaust probably equates to 14psi with a stock exhaust setup.

I am not sure how no longtubes would cause the engine to go boom. Stock manifolds have supported 600whp in 2v applications. Is the 3v that much different?
Old 11-21-2008
SOEC Member

HotRodHarry has the latest model SC on his 281 powered GT with a claimed 13# of boost from the JDM 3" pulley kit.
Old 11-21-2008

Last edited by sman113; 11-21-2008 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Double posted
Old 11-21-2008

Quote:
I think the 3" pulley should make about 12psi. I think thats what Jim Jr runs on his truck. Long tubes and his free flowing exhaust probably equates to 14psi with a stock exhaust setup.

I am not sure how no longtubes would cause the engine to go boom. Stock manifolds have supported 600whp in 2v applications. Is the 3v that much different?
I thought JDM's truck had a ported blower. I figured that's where the 2 extra pounds came from. I know of 2 guys on the Harley truck website that have the JDM kit with the 3.0 pulley and full exhaust and I'm pretty sure they are making around 10 lbs. I'll PM them and find out for sure.

As far as long tubes and free flowing exhaust I thought that would decrease the boost since there is less back pressure so you could make more power with less boost.

Also I've read not to go over 10 lbs on a stock 3v because the rods are the crap and the pistons are weak.

Quoted from a Ford Mechanic that builds high boost motors on the side: "3V engine ford put the exhaust valve relief right to the edge of the piston crown taking away material right above the top ring. To make it even worse they duplicated the relief on the other side so the pistons can be used in both banks rather than make a right and left piston. 5 psi shouldnt be a problem on any stock engine regardless of brand but 12 psi for example on a 3V in a mustang or a truck is asking for a failure. The 3V engines Ive built after a failure (from boost) have pistons that break straight across the reliefs. I have pics for anyone in doubt."

See post #35 in the link - http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2006-20...een-kit-3.html

Last edited by sman113; 11-21-2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Added Link
Old 11-25-2008

Just spoke with Mike Troyer for a little over two hours. I purchased his kit. It is $1000 or $875 if you have your own tuner.

He said that his dyno reads lower than most dynojets, but the lowest amount of HP pickup he has seen with his stage I kit is 78RWHP!

He also has a stage II kit out with a new pulley, longtubes, highflow cats, a 3" intermediate pipe, and fuel system upgrade. Cost is $2500.
Old 11-25-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Just spoke with Mike Troyer for a little over two hours. I purchased his kit. It is $1000 or $875 if you have your own tuner.

He said that his dyno reads lower than most dynojets, but the lowest amount of HP pickup he has seen with his stage I kit is 78RWHP!

He also has a stage II kit out with a new pulley, longtubes, highflow cats, a 3" intermediate pipe, and fuel system upgrade. Cost is $2500.
Light when u get the kit installed let us know how well it performs. From all the posts I have read it is basically the same kit that jdm has except that it is around $900 cheaper. How is this if they are basically the same kit? Does it also come with the installation video or instructions? Also did they give you a quote on how much hp you would gain from the stage II kit?
Old 11-26-2008

2007SaleenS331 on this site is going from the JDM kit to the troyer kit. To my knowledge, there is no install CD. However, I had 2007SaleenS331 burn me a copy of his from another kit he had. THey should all be the same or close to it on the install.

Before asking why the Troyer kit is $900 cheaper, you must ask the question, why is the JDM kit so expensive? You are correct that they are, basically, the same kit. However, there were a few little tweaks on the Troyer kit that, in my opinion, make it superior. I am not knocking the JDM kit. Jim had his kit out first and it performs well. One such tweak is the position of the IAT2 sensor. THis is the sensor that measures your Inlet Air Temp, or, as you may know it as your Air Charge Temp (ACT).....you know, that gauge on your dash thats on the right. The stock and JDM kit have the IAT sensor right on top of the supercharger. SO, not only is it measuring the air temp, but is also getting heat soaked from the SC. Once that air temp reaches a certain degree, it retards timing in the truck. The other tweak is....well, a savings of $900. That savings could buy a set of gears or a valve body or a set of cams....etc.

Mike didnt say what kind of performance you could expect out of the stage II kit. Longtubes, 2 more psi, fuel upgrade, intermediate pipes, and some more custom tuning...I dont see why you wouldnt pick up another...50?rwhp.
Old 06-02-2009

Talking New pics!!!

Bringing this thread back from the dead... Posting updated pics of my truck.

Brought my 2/4 drop down to a 3/5 drop by adding Belltech lowering struts in the front and removing the Mcgaughy's 4" drop leaf springs and replacing with a DJM flip kit and Belltech drop shocks. The rear swap eliminated my squeak in the rear and my wheel hop issues. The Mcgaughy leaf springs were bent!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	654

Name:	2.JPG
Size:	341.2 KB
ID:	655

Name:	3.JPG
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	656

I installed a dual pillar pod with an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge and an Autometer NV Vac/Boost gauge.

Name:	4.JPG
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	657

Name:	5.JPG
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	658

I refabbed the brackets to my ram-air scoop so it will still where it is supposed to. (See link on first post to see where it was before.)

Name:	11.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	660

I also installed an Access Vanish Lo-Pro roll-up bed cover.

Name:	6.JPG
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	659

And last but not least my Train Horns LOL.

Name:	7.JPG
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	661

Name:	8.JPG
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	662

Name:	9.JPG
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	663
Old 06-02-2009

Nice drop.

Not a fan of the air horns though. $$ better spent elsewhere IMO.

Do you see much difference between the stock saleen boost gauge and your aftermarket?
Old 06-02-2009

sman113,

Can you please tell me where you connected up the vacuum line from that boost gauge...? I have one of these and have not been able to get it to work at all.
Old 06-02-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sman113 View Post
Brought my 2/4 drop down to a 3/5 drop by adding Belltech lowering struts in the front and removing the Mcgaughy's 4" drop leaf springs and replacing with a DJM flip kit and Belltech drop shocks. The rear swap eliminated my squeak in the rear and my wheel hop issues.
Looks good!