The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2010-2014 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2010-2014 Saleen Mustang For the SN10 platform California-built 2010 SMS 460 and 460X, the 2011-12 SMS 302, and 2013-14 Saleen 4V, SC, SSC and 351.
All Label cars (White Yellow, Black). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 10-18-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Default Q: Exhaust for 2012 Saleen?

Hey guys, new member here and new SMS owner. Bought 12-011 a few months ago. #11 is a black label. My question is in regards to exhaust. While it has a nice tone I'm looking for more sound. I don't, however, want to jack up my performance. Any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Just for the record, it is an SMS 302. I just realized this site includes all SMS makes.
Old 10-19-2012

Long tube headers are always a good way to improve exhaust tone. Regretfully, you may actually improve performance somewhat.

(I cant believe I just said that )
Old 10-19-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

LOL. If I actually improved sound and added performance, that would rock. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about taking it to Speedtek and see what they have to say. Not wanting to get too extreme tho.
Old 10-20-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

After probably hundreds of searches for a good exhaust tone, I decided to go with the Magnaflow Catted X-pipe. Not obnoxiously loud because of the high flow cats, but loud. I personally think it sounds pretty sweet. Good luck in your search cause there's tons of options out there! The searching drove me crazy!
Old 10-24-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Decided on an axle back change. Ordered Flowmaster Outlaws. I'm hoping I don't run into fitment issues with our rear fascia. Does anyone know if standard axle-back mufflers/tips are a direct changeout or are modifications required?
Old 10-24-2012
SOEC Member

I'm looking for one of these cars. Jut curious, what did you pay for it?
Old 10-24-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

I got it for 49k. Not exactly cheap, but considering the package, I think I got a pretty good deal. I've seen guys on here saying they got better deals than that. All I know is the sticker was over 60k. It the black label tho.
Old 10-24-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black#11 View Post
Decided on an axle back change. Ordered Flowmaster Outlaws. I'm hoping I don't run into fitment issues with our rear fascia. Does anyone know if standard axle-back mufflers/tips are a direct changeout or are modifications required?
I believe the exhaust was off-the-shelf JBA components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucianpilot View Post
I'm looking for one of these cars. Jut curious, what did you pay for it?
The Villa Ford vehicle never sold. The black coupe. It now has new Saleen emblems, windshield banner and 2013 tail lights.
Old 10-24-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
The Villa Ford vehicle never sold. The black coupe. It now has new Saleen emblems, windshield banner and 2013 tail lights.
Dave, was that the one that was such a good deal?
Old 10-24-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Dave, thanks for the response. That's encouraging, hopefully the Outlaws will fit. I'll find out Saturday. As soon as I figure out how, I'll get some pics on. Especially if the exhaust fits.
Old 10-24-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
Dave, was that the one that was such a good deal?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black#11 View Post
Dave, thanks for the response. That's encouraging, hopefully the Outlaws will fit. I'll find out Saturday. As soon as I figure out how, I'll get some pics on. Especially if the exhaust fits.
No problem.
Old 10-25-2012
SOEC Member

Default 2012 SMS white #13

Welcome to the Saleen family and you will receive many response on this thread and the perforance thread. Enjoy the thrill of the Saleen product as the rest of us have found out. WELCOME

Last edited by John S. Murbach; 10-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2012
Saleen Forums Registrant

Thanks John. Happy to be a member of the Saleen family.
Old 10-25-2012
SOEC Member

Yes they did and it does not come with the 2013 lights...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I believe the exhaust was off-the-shelf JBA components.

Old 10-28-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I have always loved flowmasters. I currently have the "super 44" on my 2002 saleen extreme and it sounds amazinggggggggggggg, deep, loud and angry
http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/index.php?cat=1
Old 10-29-2012
SOEC Member (Inactive)

Borla axleback exhaust sounds real nice, and shouldn't impede flow or performance at all. Their ATAK system is the loudest and most aggressive.

Skip to 4:20 for the ATAK demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayemxBdI0bc

Also, as it is simply an axleback, it will be easiest to install, will require no other modifications or tuning, AND should not impact any warranty coverage...
Old 12-01-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I wish I would have seen this earlier than today. Long tube headers as kewl as they are are not going to make a whole heck of a lot of improvement in performance. Shorties headers will give you a total "zero" increase in h/p and torque. Perhaps get yourself a good X-pipe with hi-flow cats.. and a set of ceramic coated shorties. Long tubes are a heck of a lot more expensive considering with them you have to change the mid-pipe.With Shorties you could still use the factory H- pipe if you did not want to go with the X-pipe. I was very hesitant to replace mine but im glad I did... I have gotten so many comment on how good my car sounds now. Best to you,,,which ever way you go!!
Old 12-03-2012
SOEC Member

Man, the exhaust on my car is so loud, you hear it a block away. I love the aggressive sound it makes. Not sure if your exhaust is different than mine, but I can't imagine it being louder...lol