The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 11-11-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default New Member

Hello everyone.

I am new to the forum, but not new to performance vehicles. I picked up a 2007 S331 SC back in June of this year. It is Metallic Red, chrome wheel upgrade, brake upgrade, saleen full metal tonneau cover, rockford fosgate subwoofer, side exit exhaust, and the upgraded trailer hitch. The dealer wanted $68k for it...LOL.

I have since added a hellwig rear sway bar (I highly recommend this) and a bed rug...another great "mod."

I read some posts on here and I have been plagued by the same problems that many of you have had. I had to have my computer reflashed by Saleen....after a battle because Saleen said they had never heard of surging while cruising. My wheels were delivered out of balance and my Saleen dealer cant balance a 23" wheel...Saleen wont warranty anyplace else. Truck was delivered with a nail in the tire. Other than that, things are great. I do have dual electric fans, but they have not burnt out...yet. They do kick on and off almost ALL the time though. Everything dims in the truck when they do so, even with an upgraded alternator.

I have spoke with Jim III at JDM about his intake kit and I am hoping to pull the trigger on that next year, along with some american racing headers, a COMPLETE 2.5" exhaust system, instead of the 2.5 in, 2.25 out. I also saw that many of you were looking for an upgraded HE. Last time I checked JDM doesnt sell one that is OTS. Jim was telling me that his HE setup is completely custom, as is the exhaust styem with the nonfunctioning side exit exhaust. I have, however, been in touch with the creator of the Killer Chiller and he said that it would fit our trucks.

Do you all have the production numbers for 2007? I saw that you all were looking for them a few months ago. I got them from Saleen back in July.

My truck has a little less than 2500 miles on it. The only reason it has that many is because the dealer ran up 50 miles on it within 1 day of me purchasing it and I took it up a couple of 400 mile round trip excursions to visit my parents. I hope to put less than 5k per year on the truck.

I do have a little shimmy in the rear on take off. I am told that this might be some clutch packs? I will be at ford for service soon. I also have a crazy tick from my passenger side. It does it when the truck is warm or cold. It does vary when I accelerate. Any ideas? Oh, and the other day I learned no WOT with less than 1/4 tank of gas.....but I see you all already knew that.

I am glad I found a forum with some S331 owners on it. With this being such a unique truck, its hard to talk to other people that own them.
Old 11-11-2008
Administrator

Welcome to the Saleen Forums!

Sounds like you may have gotten a good deal on your "Thunder" ... glad to hear it sounds like your little issues are getting taken care of. Being the first year of production, it's to be expected. Hope they get fixed soon.

Enjoy!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 11-12-2008
SOEC Member

Welcome to the site.
2007 Saleen Parnelli Jones #384
1989 Saleen Hatchback #302
1970 Coupe
1968 Shelby GT 350
Old 11-12-2008
SOEC Member

I am new to this forum site as of tonite. I purchased a black 2007 Saleen S331SC last November. It has the Saleen roll-up tonneau cover, class IV tow package with 157 amp alternator and aluminum fluidyne radiator, chrome Saleen wheels, 15" front brakes, JDM big air upgrade kit, JDM traction bars and 4:10 gears. I have been trying to get a full exhaust from JDM, but nothing yet. How do I get in contact with Killer Chiller for their exhaust system? This truck needs a better flowing exhaust, so any help would be greatly appreciated. And I am too, glad I found this forum with some S331 owners!
Old 11-13-2008
SOEC Member

Welcome guys! I hope you all find what help you need.
Old 11-13-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

If you're really after the ultimate in exhaust flow you should consider a set of long tube headers and high flow cats. Most of the restrictions will go away with that upgrade. Any good cat back exhaust will be fine so just go with what you like. I ended up with a set of Dynatech long tube headers and high plow magnaflow cats, all mated to to a flowmaster exhaust. This thing really can breath now....
Old 11-13-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007SaleenS331 View Post
I am new to this forum site as of tonite. I purchased a black 2007 Saleen S331SC last November. It has the Saleen roll-up tonneau cover, class IV tow package with 157 amp alternator and aluminum fluidyne radiator, chrome Saleen wheels, 15" front brakes, JDM big air upgrade kit, JDM traction bars and 4:10 gears. I have been trying to get a full exhaust from JDM, but nothing yet. How do I get in contact with Killer Chiller for their exhaust system? This truck needs a better flowing exhaust, so any help would be greatly appreciated. And I am too, glad I found this forum with some S331 owners!
Killer CHiller is not an exhaust system. It is a system that hooks into your AC system and dramatically cools your intake charge. We are talking IAT2 temps that are at or below ambient temperature while in boost. It runs about $600. IAT2 temps are measured by the gauge right next to your boost gauge. Once it hits 150 degrees, the truck pulls timing. Even before 150 degrees the truck is lacking up to 50rwhp due to heat.

The exhaust system that Jim Jr runs on the truck for his dad is a complete custom setup. Jim Sr said the headers with the side exit exhaust were too loud for him. It has American Racing long tube headers and I believe a dual in dual out muffler on the passenger side. Probably something similar to the 2008 model S331s where side exit exhaust was an option. I will eventually upgrade to american racing headers that go into the same cross-flow style magnaflow muffler that is on the truck now....with the exception of a 2.5" out pipe. The headers run about $975 uncoated. The muffler is about $150-$200. The pipes would have to be custom. I am sure that magnaflow cats would fit too. I sure wish saleen had figured out a way to have side exit exhaust without putting the muffler right under the cab!

How do you like the 4.10 gears? Can you tell much of a difference over the 3.73s? Did it effect gas mileage at all? Most everyone that I talk to say that 4.56s are the way to go, but I dont think I could handle that on the highway.

DId you get the pulley upgrade also from JDM or just the intake kit and tune?

How much were the traction bars from JDM?

I think with the complete JDM kit, a killer chiller, new exhaust, and some cams, and a stall converter...these trucks will put down 500+ rwhp. Thats good for mid 12s on the 23s...and possibly a high 11 with some slicks and lighter front wheels!

Feel free to email me at light02atl@yahoo.com
Old 11-13-2008

Why id my settings change? now the posts in a thread start with the most recent one ??? HEH??
Old 11-13-2008
SOEC Member

Sorry...I had a some timers moment. I had 4:10 in my truck for 300 miles. We were pulling an ATV 18ft trailer with 5 sand quads and it seemed to labor overdrive to much. So I installed 4:56's and it was the best thing I ever did for performance and gas mileage. The 3:73 were way to high geared for the 23's. At about 75mph, the engine rpm is about 2600. At 75 to 80mph I have been getting about 16mpg which is pretty good I think. I got the smaller charger pulley, intake and airbox with JDM's tune on a SCT tuner. I paid $535 for the JDM traction bars with shipping to Montana. Just need to get the complete exhaust and those other goodies to cool down the intercooler temp. My temp get up there in warm weather and kills the horsepower. We are going to data log my truck and see if JDM can get it working a little better. It shifts to soon out of 2nd gear at full throttle. I was a little disappointed with my 1/4 mile times, but our adjusted alltitude at our dragstrip is about 4600ft, so it will be slower than sea level times. I will have to bend your ear some more for more info. Thanks!! My emaqil address is: Suprchg@bresnan.net
Old 11-14-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007SaleenS331 View Post
Welcome! Sounds like you have a sweet ride!

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 11-14-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
Why id my settings change? now the posts in a thread start with the most recent one ??? HEH??
In User CP, Edit Options, it looks like you might have accidently changed Thread Display Mode to Newest First instead of the default of Oldest First.

We changed it back to default for you.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Old 11-17-2008
SOEC Member

Thanks for the welcome Jim D. !!