The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-08-2012
Account with Invalid Email

Default Spark plug issues? HT0 Alternatives?

I was asking on the forums a while back ago about some issues I've been having with my 07sc. I changed my plugs from FRP plugs (came in the car) to HTO's, fuel filter, cleaned my air filter and got an oil change and my fuel economy went from 15.5 avg to 12.4 avg with no change in driving habits. I had it on the dyno at the same time and everyone said my graphs looked great at about 11.5 AFR. Lately I've been getting a terribly strong exhaust/fuel smell inside the cabin of my car. The smell is around when they car is cold or warmed up and seems to be worse when I turn on the heater while idling. If anyone has any idea what's going on let me know, but I'm assuming at this point that the change in the way it's running has something to do with the plugs. What's the best alternative to the HT0's?
Old 02-08-2012
Saleen Forums Participant

try cleaning you maf. if you oiled your filter its all over the maf and could cause some of that possibly
Old 02-08-2012
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

The primary reason people have changed from HT0s is because of its tendency to break when the original plugs have been used for too many miles and carbon buildup on the electrode shield fuses it to the head. HT0 plugs have worked very well for me and I've removed mine three times in 47k miles with no issues. Did you gap the plugs before you put them in? I'm using a 3.4 pulley with the plugs gapped at .032. The plugs come gapped at .045 which is too wide for an SC'd S197.
Old 02-08-2012

I'll try cleaning the MAF this weekend. I ordered the plugs from Brenspeed pre-gaped at .032. Just in case they weren't right I dropped the car off at the shop with the gaping tool I ordered with them and asked him to make sure they were at .032 so I would assume they are correct. I've never used a gaping tool like the steeda one I got with the plugs, but I guess I could pull a plug and check it out. I was also thinking about cleaning the TB because I have noticed a lot of oil around the TB and the portion of the air intake that clamps to it since my oil catch can broke, but it seems like everyone has this issue and their cars run fine.
Old 02-08-2012

Cleaning the MAF and TB is a good start. Besides the fuel economy and exhaust/fuel smell is the car running well otherwise? Is it missing, stalling, rough idle, etc? Do you have any aftermarket gauges like A/F or fuel pressure - it might be helpful to diagnose the issue.
Old 02-08-2012

I have no aftermarket gauges at all, and I think it's been running exactly the same as ever besides the smell and huge drop in fuel economy. The smell is terrible though, I don't want to drive it to the gym anymore because I feel nauseous by the time I get there.
Old 02-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny_k82 View Post
I have no aftermarket gauges at all, and I think it's been running exactly the same as ever besides the smell and huge drop in fuel economy. The smell is terrible though, I don't want to drive it to the gym anymore because I feel nauseous by the time I get there.
Kenny, if the plugs are gapped right...its not the plugs. What did you use to clean your MAF? How many miles on the car? Have you check your pre 02 sensors lately? Something else is seriously going on with your car. Plugs arent going to do the symptoms you've explained with your car.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2002 Saleen Speedster #02-346
2007 Roush TrakPak-Race car
2015 Mustang GT

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: sales@281m.com
Web: www.saleenspeedlab.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 02-09-2012

The MAF hasn’t been cleaned yet, what should I use to clean it? The car has 33,000 miles and I used my tuner to diagnose a code it was throwing, I figured out it was an 02 sensor and I had it changed out when I had that other stuff done If I remember right it was the S1,B1 sensor. I hasn’t had a CEL on since.
Old 02-10-2012
SOEC Member

Have you had any exhaust work done recently? I had to tighten up one of my O2 sensors that seemed to vibrate loose. I also checked my header bolts...of which a few were loose. ..have you had your shifter out? That rubber seal sometimes comes loose...
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 02-10-2012

I've had no exhaust or transmission work done at all since I purchased the car except for having one o2 sensor replaced and the smell wasn't there when I bought it. Also, I don't hear an exhaust leak at all.
Old 02-10-2012
SOEC Member

Really sounds to me like an exhaust leak. I would double check that O2 sensor to see if it has lossened up. Mine didnt sound like it had a leak either but I did notice the smell of exhaust in the cabin. Not sure how that effects your fuel economy, i'm getting 18.9 mpg and I have a lead foot....
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 02-10-2012

Wow I'll be checking it ASAP although I don't have a lift or any real way to get to the sensor but I'll figure something out... I hope that's it because I don't even let myself get into boost at all anymore and I have a light foot and get 12.4mpg. I knew I was getting a car with bad MPG's but 12 is just a joke, I could buy a ford raptor and get better mileage.
Old 02-10-2012

Quote:
Wow I'll be checking it ASAP although I don't have a lift or any real way to get to the sensor but I'll figure something out... I hope that's it because I don't even let myself get into boost at all anymore and I have a light foot and get 12.4mpg. I knew I was getting a car with bad MPG's but 12 is just a joke, I could buy a ford raptor and get better mileage.
There is a special spray designed for MAF sensors. You can pick it up at any auto parts store.

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2002 Saleen Speedster #02-346
2007 Roush TrakPak-Race car
2015 Mustang GT

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: sales@281m.com
Web: www.saleenspeedlab.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 02-11-2012
SOEC Member

I am running the Brisk one piece plugs gapped at .032 with no issues. Mileage has been consistent, no complaints.
Old 02-16-2012
SOEC Member

Sounds like 1 or both cats might have gone bad. That will drop the MPG and cause a fuel smell due to the material diong it's job with the exhaust; burning unused fuel and cause excess backpressure.
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/...der/4-Copy.jpgS281-E #06-0036
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-16-2012
SOEC Member

Sounds like 1 or both cats might have gone bad. That will drop the MPG and cause a fuel smell due to the material diong it's job with the exhaust; burning unused fuel and cause excess backpressure. It's a
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-16-2012
SOEC Member

Sounds like 1 or both cats might have gone bad. That will drop the MPG and cause a fuel smell due to the material diong it's job with the exhaust; burning unused fuel and cause excess backpressure. It's
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-16-2012
SOEC Member

Sounds like 1 or both cats might have gone bad. That will drop the MPG and cause a fuel smell due to the material diong it's job with the exhaust; burning unused fuel and cause excess backpressure. It's a slow
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-16-2012
SOEC Member

Sounds like 1 or both cats might have gone bad. That will drop the MPG and cause a fuel smell due to the material diong it's job with the exhaust; burning unused fuel and cause excess backpressure. It's a slow process and you would not have noticed a change in performance, but I'll bet there actually was one.
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-16-2012

I don't know what I was thinking, but the car has an offroad X-pipe. It doesn't have the front cats and the check engine light was never on even after a couple thousand miles with no tune. One day the check engine light came on and it said the front right o2 sensor was failing. I had it replaced and haven't seen it since. So I don't think that could explain things either. Maybe rear cats?
Old 02-16-2012
SOEC Member

Quote:
I don't know what I was thinking, but the car has an offroad X-pipe. It doesn't have the front cats and the check engine light was never on even after a couple thousand miles with no tune. One day the check engine light came on and it said the front right o2 sensor was failing. I had it replaced and haven't seen it since. So I don't think that could explain things either. Maybe rear cats?
There are no rear cats and the reason you are smelling fuel is because you don't have any cats anymore. That is just a fact of life when have an off road system or gutted cats. you need to have your tune adjusted to turn off the front o2 sensors or you will continue to get the failure codes because there will be no change in the exhaust gas between the front and rear o2 sensors since there is no longer a cat between them. It will affect your MPG as well by sending a false signal to your computer in order to try and adjust for the rear o2 sensor readings that it thinks are wrong. You need a tune and that will help to lower the fuel smell some and will fix you MPG issue as well.
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-17-2012

I've had the o2 sensors turned off for months and just now started getting the bad smell, the car was doing great and I had the tune checked on a dyno with my mail order tune from brenspeed.
Old 02-17-2012
SOEC Member

Have you checked to make sure that x-pipe hasn't worked loose? Like I said the fuel smell is common when you don't have cats.
Best daily driver ever.
Old 02-17-2012

That's what another member was saying, maybe an o2 sensor worked loose or there is a leak. I'm going to check it out an clean the tb and maf just to make sure and see if it helps. First things first, I need a new hood and bumper after the accident last week.