The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 11-29-2008
SOEC Member

Default spark blowout

anyone having a problem with spark blowout after installing the jdm stage 1 kit? i think i am, under full boost now it seems to be cutting out or missing, its been doing fine but suddenly it started this problem.any comments would help thanks.
Old 11-30-2008
SOEC Member

If you got the Autolite spark plugs, they are not a very good plug for supercharged vehicles. I was told this by Troyer Performance, cause they are a 2-piece designed plug. And if you are running your truck in this cooler weather, the JDM kit runs pretty lean under full boost.
Old 11-30-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

I was told the same thing as 2007SaleenS331. These plugs are prone to failure. ANY additional performance upgrades can cause this issue...Troyer kit and JDM kit included.

There is a one piece plug on the market made by Brisk. They run $120 for a set of 8. Gap them babies at .032 and you are ready to go. You will need an old style blade gapper, rather than the silver dollar looking things now. You might even pick up some HP.

The only place I found them for $120 was at Troyer. Even RPMoutlet wanted nearly $150 for them.
Old 11-30-2008
SOEC Member

I purchased Autolite plugs from JDM for $120 when I got my JDM kit. I ordered a Troyer Performance kit and purchased the Brisk plugs for $120.
Old 12-01-2008
SOEC Member

well jim sr said to get the autolite ht0 and gap them at .30. the beast has 11000 miles so i hope i don't have the dreaded plug removal problem that the 5.4 and 4.6 3v mod motors have w/ the plugs breaking off. so i guess i'll be ordering brisk plugs at least they will come out without breaking off next time their replaced. so is their any other issue i might experience w/these mods i would need to know about? thanks for the replies.
Old 12-01-2008
SOEC Member

We always suggest when running more than stock boost to gap the spark plugs to approximatley .030" They are a pain in the **** to gap thats why we sell them "pre-gapped" They are an expensive plug, we sell them for $112.50 a set already gapped to .030" and its a couple bucks to ship them.

The 3v plug is a very delicate spark plug. The slightest bit of detonation due to bad gas and destroy the electrode and or porcelin material and create a misfire. Same thing goes when using fuel additives, octane booster, or leaded race fuel. Most people dont realize but if your normal driving with that stuff running through your engine it does not burn at the rate its intended and leaves a coating on the plug, a glaze if you will. Then that can create a misfire too.

It really isn't fun changing plugs in these trucks and i have heard of guys cracking them off in the head. the best thing to do is to let the truck cool for several hours that way the metal is not expanded making the plug so tight in the hole. We have never once broken one off and we have probably worked on hundreds of these F-150 trucks, especially saleen blown. I dont suggest using an antisieze when putting them back in either. Plug maintence should be kept every couple of oil changes or every 10K at least. Check the plugs for signs of detonation or glaze, make sure to number which cylinder they were in and check the torque when re installing. I think its about 100 inch lbs but snug by hand works. They plugs can loosen up over time. Not much but in the old 2v heads they only had 3 threads that the plugs sat in and the lightning trucks would actually shoot the plug out of the head!

Spark blow out usually occurs in the upper RPM band but can also be noticed under load. Usually when building boost, misfires and hesitations occur. These can be very bad especially if you have more boost than stock.

You want to watch out for bad fuel, such as the corner gas stations and less than 91 octane. You should always look for the good stations and try to get as best possible fuel. Dont use additives, octane booster, or leaded race fuel. Some 100-104 octane unleaded mixed with 91-93 is good for keeping down detonation. Bad fuels will create detonation and destroy the spark plugs or even worse so always make sure to check your fuel or where your getting it from.
Old 12-01-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007SaleenS331 View Post
If you got the Autolite spark plugs, they are not a very good plug for supercharged vehicles. I was told this by Troyer Performance, cause they are a 2-piece designed plug. And if you are running your truck in this cooler weather, the JDM kit runs pretty lean under full boost.

Well the autolites aren't an ideal design but we have gotten good use of them. Take into example our 2007 Saleen S331 truck bumper # 04. This truck we tested our upgrade package on and have towed, raced, and daily driven it for 2 years and almost 60K. Plus i dare you to meet me on Rt 37 in a C5 vette any Friday night.... The truck has seen its fare share of aubse and we have only ran 3 sets of these plugs all gapped @ .030" in it.

Its good to check and change these plugs often esepcially if you notice misifre. any plug can deteriorate.

We also run a very conservative air fuel ratio actually. Normally we target a 12:1 air fuel mixture. The computer is always looking for that when you go wide open throttle. If it changes from what we are commanding sometimes there is a problem outside of the tune. It can happen though and i always suggest a dyno check. we are always willing to work with the customer and try to help. Its hard sometimes being far way but we try!

JimIII
Old 12-01-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007SaleenS331 View Post
I purchased Autolite plugs from JDM for $120 when I got my JDM kit. I ordered a Troyer Performance kit and purchased the Brisk plugs for $120.

Whats all in the Troyer kit?
Old 12-02-2008
SOEC Member

the troyer kit from my understanding talking w/mike troyer comes w/3 tunes , custom airbox designed for cooler act temps,blower pulley,and w/ the 1200$ kit a new set of plugs ,new serp belt and about an hour or so of his vast knowledge of these trucks of what works and what doesn't and why. after talking with mike I'm going to try the 170 thermostat and the brisk plugs.i really love this truck and i want it to run the best it can w/out melting or burning anything up. and even though i bought my kit at jdm, mike spent more time talking with me about my truck and made me feel he cared as much about my truck and how it ran as i do. so i'll buy my other mods from troyer performance. but don't get me wrong jim jr is a nice guy and the jdm kit is ok, i don't get why there double the price though, but anyway they are good people and they have good products but they don't seem to have the time to spend w/you to explain their products or what to expect or what to do if you have a problem jmo. btw if your truck vibrates on takeoff have the rearend angle corrected or it will cause damage to it later on. thanks
Old 12-02-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentguy View Post
the troyer kit from my understanding talking w/mike troyer comes w/3 tunes , custom airbox designed for cooler act temps,blower pulley,and w/ the 1200$ kit a new set of plugs ,new serp belt and about an hour or so of his vast knowledge of these trucks of what works and what doesn't and why. after talking with mike I'm going to try the 170 thermostat and the brisk plugs.i really love this truck and i want it to run the best it can w/out melting or burning anything up. and even though i bought my kit at jdm, mike spent more time talking with me about my truck and made me feel he cared as much about my truck and how it ran as i do. so i'll buy my other mods from troyer performance. but don't get me wrong jim jr is a nice guy and the jdm kit is ok, i don't get why there double the price though, but anyway they are good people and they have good products but they don't seem to have the time to spend w/you to explain their products or what to expect or what to do if you have a problem jmo. btw if your truck vibrates on takeoff have the rearend angle corrected or it will cause damage to it later on. thanks
I understand, Mike is a great guy and has a ton of knowledge to offer. We have worked with them for years. These trucks are really cool and have a bunch of power to offer. It is important to make sure they are safe. A cooler Thermostat is a good idea to keep heat down some. That will help truck run a few degrees cooler. We use 170 degree thermostats in our Electric fan kits all the time here with these trucks.

The price of our kit is higher than troyer by alot it seems, we are going to have to go through and restructure it maybe. I know the parts we use are expensive in our air kit. The brackets for the power steering resevoir and intercooler resevoir both aren't cheap. Neither is the box and intake assembly itself.

What is used for an air kit in the troyer upgrade. The problem we first found on these trucks is that the mass air flow meter is maxxed out even just stock with a tune. With that happening you can safely add any power with out worrying about running lean and hurting the motor. You want to make sure the size of the mass air housing is much larger than stock..

JimIII
Old 12-04-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

Pics of the Troyer kit in attached link. Post #84

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/2006-20...ok-here-6.html
Old 12-04-2008
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

You have to be a member to view those pics. I will download them this evening and host them in photobucket and post them here. I will post a pic or two of the JDM kit installed also.
Old 12-10-2008
Saleen Forums Participant

I have just recently started to get a backfire at higher RPM's( getting on freeway or under load), my check engine light has come on and stayed on and I notice my boost guage will read up to 2 psi more when this "backfire is happening (normally 4 1/2psi, now 6 psi). After a bad episode of this situation, it will miss for a minute or two then go away. Now, obviosly I need a trip to the dealer, but has this scenario been seen by anyone else? SC331 stock tune, no upgrades.

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetea67 View Post
I have just recently started to get a backfire at higher RPM's( getting on freeway or under load), my check engine light has come on and stayed on and I notice my boost guage will read up to 2 psi more when this "backfire is happening (normally 4 1/2psi, now 6 psi). After a bad episode of this situation, it will miss for a minute or two then go away. Now, obviosly I need a trip to the dealer, but has this scenario been seen by anyone else? SC331 stock tune, no upgrades.

Thanks

take it to the dealer is the best advice. I assume it's still under warranty? my high speed miss ended up being the spark plugs, changed them out to brisk plugs from troyer it's never run better.