The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Vehicle Discussions - Tesla, S7, Focus, Sportruck and XP > 2007-2008 S331 Sportruck
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2007-2008 S331 Sportruck For discussion of the F-150 platform "Thunder."

Old 05-03-2009
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default anyone else's suspension squeak?

I have less than 5k miles on my truck and the driver's side rear suspension? squeaks when going over speed bumps, pulling out of my driveway, or even running over a twig. It sounds like a truck with 100k+ miles on it. Anyone else have this problem?

I dont know where the squeak is coming from....the shock, the spring (likely). I dont think its from the bushings from the sway bar I installed.
Old 05-04-2009
SOEC Member

I am not sure of the set-up of your truck so I might be out of my lane here but my Saleen's rear lower control arms are REALLY noisy. I am upgrading to some tubular ones (just waiting for them to arrive) but in the meantime I have a can of penetrating oil that I spray on the bushings every 3-4 days. Your's may be able to be lubed but I am not sure.
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.
Old 05-04-2009

unfortunately, trucks do not have control arms in the rear. We work off leaf springs.
Old 05-05-2009
SOEC Member

If the sway bar has the neopreme bushings, it might have one that is to tight and causing a squeak. I have this style bushings in my JDM traction bars that are to tight and really squeak bad when it is warm out. I have to sand off the sides of the bushings, so they aren't so tight. It sounds terrible and drives me nuts.
Old 05-05-2009

Dave,

I think my suspension was squeaking before the addition of the swaybar. I am going to spray it down with some wd40 and see if that fixes it. Then, spray down the leaf bushings to see if thats it.
Old 05-13-2009

I still cant figure this one out
Old 05-13-2009
SOEC Member

Light.
Something in the rear of my truck will squeak every now and then while driving. Like you said it is tough to locate where the sound is coming from but it is suspension related since it only squeaks when I hit bumps.
Old 05-27-2009

Getting worse. High pitch squeak squeak while driving with windows down. Sounds like something is rattling. Suspension squeaks and creaks when I get out of the truck. I tried some wd40 on my leaf spring eye...guess I am going to try and grease it and the leaf clamp and see if that fixes it.
Old 06-17-2009

Sea Foam squeak creep!!!! Sprayed a little on my eye bushings and on my leaf spring clamps. No more squeaks.
Old 08-04-2009
Suspended Account

good tip on the sea foam. has your exhaust tip started banging on the exhaust outlet yet?
Old 08-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaleenKS View Post
good tip on the sea foam. has your exhaust tip started banging on the exhaust outlet yet?

NOt that I know of, but I only have 5k miles on it. I will be completely changing my exhaust next year and getting rid of the side exits.
Old 08-04-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Guess I need to get some sea foam. I have a squeak on my rear passenger leaf springs on the rear clamp. wd-40 helped a little but you can still hear the rubbing. As far as the exhaust tips mine have been rattling for about 7,500 miles now and getting worse. I took it to ford one time and they adjusted the hangers but it was only a temporary fix. It is so bad right now that my passenger side exhuast rattles even idling. I hate to say this but at times now I can't even stand to drive the truck because of the rattling. I have 16,000 miles on the truck now. SaleenKs has this been a problem on your truck?
Old 08-05-2009
Suspended Account

Yes my driver side exhaust tip was banging so bad I put it on the lift last week and used a piece of bailing wire and 2 sheetmetal screws to kinda suspend the exhaust tip in the middle of the metal outlet thing saleen used for the side exhaust. It stopped the banging but I am afraid it will loosen the plastic. I cant belive I had to resort to bailing wire on a SALEEN but nobody had a cure for it. I also noticed the inside inch of my front tires has cords showing. 10,000 miles is all mine has on it.
Old 08-06-2009

Quote:
Yes my driver side exhaust tip was banging so bad I put it on the lift last week and used a piece of bailing wire and 2 sheetmetal screws to kinda suspend the exhaust tip in the middle of the metal outlet thing saleen used for the side exhaust. It stopped the banging but I am afraid it will loosen the plastic. I cant belive I had to resort to bailing wire on a SALEEN but nobody had a cure for it. I also noticed the inside inch of my front tires has cords showing. 10,000 miles is all mine has on it.
welcome to the club man! I went to pick my truck up in pittsburgh when I bought it at around 4-5k miles on it. Drove it to New York for the weekend, then drove bak home to Alabama with it. Got the **** thing home with somewhere around 6k miles on it and had cords showing on the inside of both front tires. You got 4k more out of yours than I did mine. When saleen changed the wheels/suspension/brakes/etc, they didnt re-align the front ends of these things. Everyone of us have had this problem seems like. I bought 2 new nitto's for the front of mine (which were half the cost of the ones that came on it) got the front end re-aligned and havent had any problems since (atleast with tires anyway) ...mine has 16k miles on it now.
Old 08-06-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen190 View Post
welcome to the club man! I went to pick my truck up in pittsburgh when I bought it at around 4-5k miles on it. Drove it to New York for the weekend, then drove bak home to Alabama with it. Got the **** thing home with somewhere around 6k miles on it and had cords showing on the inside of both front tires. You got 4k more out of yours than I did mine. When saleen changed the wheels/suspension/brakes/etc, they didnt re-align the front ends of these things. Everyone of us have had this problem seems like. I bought 2 new nitto's for the front of mine (which were half the cost of the ones that came on it) got the front end re-aligned and havent had any problems since (atleast with tires anyway) ...mine has 16k miles on it now.

Yeah I had the exact same problem. I also have that annoying rattle I couldnt find; its probably the exhaust tips!
Old 08-11-2009
Suspended Account

Well atleast if I get the front end alligned I will done with that prob. The exhaust noise is gone on the left but now the right one is starting to loosen up. Maybe its because I seafoamed the suspension I can actually hear the other exhaust tip.
Old 08-11-2009
SOEC Member

I put long tube headers on with a true dual exhaust out the right rear of tire. The exhaust sounds awesome and performs WAY BETTER....so no more side exit issues. And I had my buddy install camber/caster adjusters and align my front-end...got 14,000 miles on my truck and tires still look good.
Old 08-12-2009

While I cant stand the thought of having "fake" side exit exhaust (like the s281 fake center exit exhaust), I am moving to what Dave has done....true duals.

I will probably just dump it or just run a small pipe with a dump after the muffler. This will keep the sound "near" the fake exhaust tips.
Old 08-12-2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light02atl View Post
While I cant stand the thought of having "fake" side exit exhaust (like the s281 fake center exit exhaust), I am moving to what Dave has done....true duals.

I will probably just dump it or just run a small pipe with a dump after the muffler. This will keep the sound "near" the fake exhaust tips.
The Mustang center-exit exhaust employs two dual-outlet mufflers -- each has a dump tube plus an outlet that provides a feed for the center-exit assembly.

Interesting design certainly geared towards styling, but hardly fake.

Aiding The Addicted™
SOEC Headquarters
Huntington Beach, CA USA

Join Saleen Owners and Enthusiasts Club on Facebook

Meet Steve Saleen at the following Signature Events co-hosted by SOEC:
Old 08-12-2009

Jim, I am aware of how the exhaust is run....

The dumps get rid of most of the exhaust. What little exhaust gets by them goes out the center exit.....an added crossover type pipe with tips that is not NEEDED for anything other than cosmetics.

I guess your definition of fake and mine are different. If there were no dumps, and the center exit was FULLY functional....then they would not be fake.

To each to his own though.
Old 08-12-2009
SOEC Member

I got rid of the side exit exhaust outlet tips. I purchased the side panels that don't have the exhaust exit holes for the exhaust tips from Saleen. I has a nice clean look to it now.
Old 08-13-2009
Saleen Forums Registrant

That's the dumbest thing I read/heard. Some one getting rid of their side exhaust. That's one of the coolest things on the truck. You might as well ghost ride into a wall. It sounds like the truck sucks now
Old 08-13-2009
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr351 View Post
That's the dumbest thing I read/heard. Some one getting rid of their side exhaust. That's one of the coolest things on the truck. You might as well ghost ride into a wall. It sounds like the truck sucks now
Obviously your S331 don't perform as good as mine with actual TRUE duals!! And whether you realize it or not, you could get these trucks from Saleen without the choked-up side exit exhaust. At least my exhaust has that big block exhaust tone, instead of sounding like a ole Caddy with a plugged cat when you your in the boost.