The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 2005-2009 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2005-2009 Saleen Mustang For all S281, S302, H281 and H302 models based on the Ford S-197 Mustang platform, with the exception of the S302 PJ (see below). Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 07-13-2011
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default Steeda Tri-Ax shifter

Anyone using the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter? I purchased one after snapping the stud on the transmission shift arm only to find out that none of the aftermarket shifter come with this piece. Needless to say I attempted drill/tap the Ford shifter arm to repair it but ended up breaking the tap off in the whole. After two days of searching for a replacement part I gave up and spent a good part of the day routering down a chunk of aluminum; drilling and sanding down plastic bushings and installing my homemade shift arm. Everything works fine but when I went to put on my stock Saleen shifter the threads are different. Checked Steeda's webpage and they claim that the shifter fits the stock shifter knob. I know Saleen modified the stock Ford shifter with an adapter to make it a short-throw design but it does not look like they changed the shifter knob shaft/threads. I measured both and the original/Saleen shifter is M12x1.25 and the Steeda unit is M12x1.75. Anyone else have this problem? I emailed Steeda so hopefully they make a shift handle arm with the correct thread.
Old 07-17-2011
SOEC Member

I am running the triax shifter as well. I do't remember having an issue withe the shift knob on the shifter but i do remember breaking the stock shaft arm trying to get the Saleen knob off.

Oh, I do remember that, maybe cause I got it used, the front mount didn't have a large washer to hold on the bushings and during one of my 1/4 mile runs I pulled the shifter off the front mount. Easy fix, though...
#06-409
MMR 1000S 302 Stroker, BBR Stage 2 cams 3.0 pulley 39# injectors, upgraded CAI, 20" Chrome w/275/35ZR's, 14 in Front Brakes, GT500 Heat Exchanger and Walbro Super Car dual fuel pumps, Rear bumper inlays, Shaftmaster 3.5 Alum Driveshaft, AEM Wideband A/F guage, Pypes Long tube headers X-pipe w/o Cats, Extreme chin spoiler, Steeda Tri-Ax short throw shifter, Hood Struts WMS stealth hood pins, Adj upper and lower rear control arms. tuned by Lito.

Last edited by wiggywigton; 07-17-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggywigton View Post
I am running the triax ahifter as well. I do't remember having an issue withe the shift knob on the shifter but i do remember breaking the stock shoft arm trying to get the Sal
een knob off.
Lol, some of the saleens got locktighted in place!

NO PM'S - PLEASE CALL | 714-575-1505

1996 Cobra Vortech SC / Track prepped
2015 Coyote Powered F-150

Check out our facility promo video here: http://bit.ly/1yHNfxM

Email: 281motorsports@gmail.com
Web: www.ProSpeedMustang.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mustangperformance
Youtube: http://bit.ly/1zOxanf

"Doing the job right...is the ONLY option we offer!"
Old 07-17-2011
SOEC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ 281m View Post
Lol, some of the saleens got locktighted in place!
Oh...don't I know!! What an ordeal...

12 F150 SVT Raptor SuperCrew Ingot Silver
Old 07-19-2011

Looked into it further and the Steeda shifter comes with M12x1.75 threads. I checked my shifter and it is M12x1.25. Steeda informed me that stock 05+ Mustangs came with a nylon insert in the shifter and are not threaded so knob twists right off. I'm not sure how a stock shifter knob without threads would fit their shifter but my Saleen shift knob is threaded and won't fit. Anyone know if Saleen changed the shift knob shaft on the factory shifter? I know they added a component at the base of the shift knob shaft to reduce the throw length but the rest of the shifter looks stock.
Old 07-20-2011
Saleen Forums Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by seethrough View Post
Anyone using the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter? I purchased one after snapping the stud on the transmission shift arm only to find out that none of the aftermarket shifter come with this piece. Needless to say I attempted drill/tap the Ford shifter arm to repair it but ended up breaking the tap off in the whole. After two days of searching for a replacement part I gave up and spent a good part of the day routering down a chunk of aluminum; drilling and sanding down plastic bushings and installing my homemade shift arm. Everything works fine but when I went to put on my stock Saleen shifter the threads are different. Checked Steeda's webpage and they claim that the shifter fits the stock shifter knob. I know Saleen modified the stock Ford shifter with an adapter to make it a short-throw design but it does not look like they changed the shifter knob shaft/threads. I measured both and the original/Saleen shifter is M12x1.25 and the Steeda unit is M12x1.75. Anyone else have this problem? I emailed Steeda so hopefully they make a shift handle arm with the correct thread.
The shift knob did not fit on mine either. It ended up only going on a couple threads, and sticking up way hi. I drilled out my threads until there were only about 4-5 left and cross threaded it on.. didn't hurt the short shifter threads for future use with other shift knobs because the shift knob i have now is aluminum. Feels good, on tight, and nice and low in the boot. Looks good.