The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1999-2004 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1999-2004 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 New Edge platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 08-04-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Question Q: Center boost gauge removal?

So how is this gauge pod mounted? Do I need to take out the center vents and bezel to get to bolts underneath the dash? Are the gauges supposed to just pull out? I've tried prying them some but they dont seem to want to budge. I'm mechanically inclined and can work on most anything vehicle related, I just dont want to push and pry too much and damage the pod without understanding how its mounted. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
20200803_165858.jpg  

Old 08-05-2020
Administrator

Manual # 047-397

https://soec.org/literature/manuals/
Old 08-07-2020
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

Default center pod 94-02

First off, What are you fixing? Curious.
But yes, for the center pod gauges, you don't want to pry the gauges out. They are screwed into brackets...each gauge has one. They have to be removed and wires disconnected once you have the pod up away from the dash. A little tricky, but yes removing the radio and center bezel makes things easier where you can get a long thin wrench in there. There are 2 to 3 nuts to loosen 2 in the front area and possibly one in the back or maybe there is just a clip for the top (closest to engine area). Ok no prying :)
Old 08-10-2020

Thanks for posting that Dave. I was wondering myself.

2002 S/C Saleen Coupe
Torch Red #293
21st Century Heat Exchanger
21st Century Intercooler
Brembo Brakes
Corbeau Seats
Old 08-20-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

My gauges read correctly but for some reason the lighting on the gauges is intermittent at times, mainly on the water temp. Its not a big deal but was wondering in case I wanted to remove the gauges to fix or possibly replace with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStallion View Post
First off, What are you fixing? Curious.
But yes, for the center pod gauges, you don't want to pry the gauges out. They are screwed into brackets...each gauge has one. They have to be removed and wires disconnected once you have the pod up away from the dash. A little tricky, but yes removing the radio and center bezel makes things easier where you can get a long thin wrench in there. There are 2 to 3 nuts to loosen 2 in the front area and possibly one in the back or maybe there is just a clip for the top (closest to engine area). Ok no prying :)
Old 08-20-2020

Default center pod

Oh ok...yes to get to the bulb you need to lift pod up as discussed. The best part is if I remember correctly the bulb would be easy to swap out...as you just need to twist and pull out to get access to bulb without un-doing any wiring. I think it's a standard bulb not sure of the size though. You can also swap in some comparable LED's while you are there for a brighter backlight. Keep in mind clean the connection area of the little bulb cap deal as that could be your problem too just not making a good connection. Then before you put everything back and tighten down make sure your lights and gauges power up. Ok let us know how this goes.
Old 08-21-2020
Saleen Forums Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStallion View Post
Oh ok...yes to get to the bulb you need to lift pod up as discussed. The best part is if I remember correctly the bulb would be easy to swap out...as you just need to twist and pull out to get access to bulb without un-doing any wiring. I think it's a standard bulb not sure of the size though. You can also swap in some comparable LED's while you are there for a brighter backlight. Keep in mind clean the connection area of the little bulb cap deal as that could be your problem too just not making a good connection. Then before you put everything back and tighten down make sure your lights and gauges power up. Ok let us know how this goes.
Good info, so you're saying there's a replaceable bulb in each gauge? I found these two photos online which clearly shows how the pod is bolted on the dash. Also see there's fuses in each gauge. It's definitely a loose connection because you can lightly bop the top of the pod a few times with your hand and theyll come on.....until you hit some bumps down the road and they flicker off again.
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600.jpg  

s-l1600 (1).jpg  

Old 08-24-2020

Default bulbs

Yes, those are not fuses you are referring to. I believe they are the bulbs, but you will see them once you have yours out. Not sure which way they turn (less than a quarter turn), but I am sure you will figure it out. I would definitely do LEDs bulbs (green) if I were in that far because it is actually a white bulb with a little rubber filter on it which dims the light if you think about it :) Considering the new LED tech nowadays I would give it a shot for a brighter future reading those gauges at night. Something I may end up doing myself at some point when I have time. Good luck let us know how things go. I am interested.