The Saleen Forums at soec.org header image

Go Back   The Saleen Forums at soec.org > Saleen Mustang Discussions > 1994-1998 Saleen Mustang
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

1994-1998 Saleen Mustang For the SN-95 platform. Be sure to specify year, model and equipment if asking for help.

Old 02-15-2021
Saleen Forums Participant

Question New purchase: 95-0025 - Need guidance

About to pick up this s351 in my dream color but concerned about a couple of things, I'll be honest 18k I don't think I should care however there are some pics that concern me. It's original minus a grill he added, he kept the pony, wheels, and headlights which are cheap to rectify. However there are some pics of some questionable things on the engine that concern me, maybe minor but don't know as I don't know the 351 engine very well. The electric plug by the radiator fluid cap, the silver thing on the right side of the engine bay and the black uncovered box my the air filter. Hoping for some advice.
Attached Thumbnails
6D4C228B-73F7-4B0A-A451-9B823A6016C4.jpg  

BE269212-7435-49FE-B927-4481F3E62472.jpg  

314D773F-95E0-4630-8A90-B182E4F963A8.jpg  

5EFE69E9-0C54-4031-8307-266B547D062C.jpg  

Last edited by Jo-Jo; 02-15-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2021

Default Another pic

Here are other pics
Attached Thumbnails
2DD5F44B-424E-4DC7-A0F5-7B4AC68461A6.jpg  

ADBFAF31-108D-4276-951A-E42079632254.jpeg  

43FBD178-ABC2-4E07-B927-A83E29926C99.jpg  

Old 02-15-2021
Administrator

The Pro-M mass air meter is on the passenger side. This item should have a plastic cover over the top of the circuit board. So, looks like your meter board is exposed to weather.

The thing on the drivers side is owner added. Not sure what it is, but not an OE item.

Does the car have an aftermarket stereo system?

I'd have to remind myself of the SN95 coolant bottles, but those wires probably signal a warning light or something similar.
Old 02-15-2021
Senior Saleen Forums Participant

As David has said the black thing by the air filter is the Mass Air Flow meter. Saleen used a Pro M unit. I can see a lot of aftermarket wires going to the battery. If I were to guess the silver thing near the battery is part of an alarm system. Not 100% sure what the plug near the overflow tank is. May be a level sensor not sure.
Old 02-15-2021

Default Continue

Tracking the expose mass air cover , wonder if that's expensive, my thoughts exactly on the coolant reservoir, and no inside all stock.
Attached Thumbnails
66075559-357A-4DF7-A7A7-FE6C2B3281AA.jpg  

9094443F-0F14-4C22-BE72-F5A3B02D9188.jpg  

0986AA2E-4AA1-4934-93E7-07AEEDE20A19.jpg  

Old 02-15-2021

Default Continue

I think I got it at a great price, and because I'm on the other coast it worries me as I can,t see the car in person however there is a line if I back out which I wont but hope you guys understand my nervousness
Old 02-15-2021
Administrator

If you can locate a dead Pro-M meter, you can take the cap from the sensor.

The cap has a hand written number for the injector size scratched into the plastic. Over the years, the screen printing on the meter cap changed.

Depending on how accurate you want the cap to be, will determine what you may buy.

BTW: Pro-M as a company was bought and sold over the years.
Old 02-15-2021

Thanx Dave, definitely don't want it exposed, he says he has never had a check engine light in the 13 years of ownership, he just changed spark plugs and wires about a year ago as well as the battery but nothing else but routing oil changes, he's only driven it about 7k miles in 13 years. Just trying not to talk myself out of it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
If you can locate a dead Pro-M meter, you can take the cap from the sensor.

The cap has a hand written number for the injector size scratched into the plastic. Over the years, the screen printing on the meter cap changed.

Depending on how accurate you want the cap to be, will determine what you may buy.

BTW: Pro-M as a company was bought and sold over the years.
Old 02-15-2021
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Jo View Post
I think I got it at a great price, and because I'm on the other coast it worries me as I can,t see the car in person however there is a line if I back out which I wont but hope you guys understand my nervousness
I do not recall... but as I mentioned to someone yesterday that asked about this vehicle. 95-0025 may be one of the first 16, 18 or 20 S351s converted for the 1995 model year. Looks like it was made during the first month of 1995 S351 production.

The light grey Ford interior plastics / carpet makes it odd in the spectrum of S351 conversions. There's like 20 or so S351s from 1994-98 with the light color interior. 95-0014 is the sister car to 95-0025. Both were ordered by the same Ford dealer with the same Saleen equipment and light grey interior.

The 1994 and most 1995 S351 models had the "SALEEN MUSTANG" floor mats that appear to still be in your car. So, those may be an item to look after. The "S351" logo mats did not debut until late into the 1995 model year.

The optional NA dash pod is also a rarely seen option in S351 conversions.
Old 02-15-2021

Default Continue

I'm tracking I would have loved all black interior but not a biggie, was more happy that it was white. I have attached the original Ford window sticker as it was a early 95 production car.
Attached Thumbnails
5088973D-2EFC-4C8B-A296-2E6BF557C675.jpg  

Old 02-15-2021
Administrator

PS: In case you may or may not know... the early 1995 S351s do not have the mesh grill work over the rear tailpipes.

Some 1994s had the 1992-93 SC / Supercharged tailpipe extensions. Then the Borla tailpipes without the grill work.

These Borla pipes continued into 1995 production without the grill work.

Then the "Machine gun" pipes came out.
Old 02-15-2021

Yup tracking, he FaceTime me and showed me, also is the attached registry page stating a build date of 2/28/95 and the twin pod option on the right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
PS: In case you may or may not know... the early 1995 S351s do not have the mesh grill work over the rear tailpipes.

Some 1994s had the 1992-93 SC / Supercharged tailpipe extensions. Then the Borla tailpipes without the grill work.

These Borla pipes continued into 1995 production without the grill work.

Then the "Machine gun" pipes came out.
Attached Thumbnails
467D917E-F29D-486C-B4E9-565E33DDFD24.jpg  

Old 02-15-2021
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo-Jo View Post
I'm tracking I would have loved all black interior but not a biggie, was more happy that it was white. I have attached the original Ford window sticker as it was a early 95 production car.

No worries.
Attached Thumbnails
95-0025.jpg  

Old 02-15-2021

Very excited that you are getting this. I purchased mine “sight unseen” as well 1000+ miles away in Washington state and couldn’t be more pleased. As long as the big items are there, which they seem to be, you should be golden. There really is no other car from the era close to the exclusivity besides maybe a Viper or C4 ZR1 (which are also, inexpensive at this time) but they made lots more of those than Saleen made S351’s.

That is all to say congrats!
Old 02-15-2021

Thanx bro, I have also purchased cars unseen before but not something this rare which is why I am concerned plus CA sucks as you know when it comes to smog test(emissions) that's why really I'm concerned. Would hate to get and then find out I'm going to have A b*$&h trying to register it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvin View Post
Very excited that you are getting this. I purchased mine “sight unseen” as well 1000+ miles away in Washington state and couldn’t be more pleased. As long as the big items are there, which they seem to be, you should be golden. There really is no other car from the era close to the exclusivity besides maybe a Viper or C4 ZR1 (which are also, inexpensive at this time) but they made lots more of those than Saleen made S351’s.

That is all to say congrats!
Old 02-23-2021

Jo-Jo,

Glad to see where this car ended up. I saw this car pop up on FB and hoped it would go to an enthusiast. We purchased our 351 out of Lancaster, CA a year or so back from the original owner. He had a few issues over the years with smog and always took the car to Galpin Ford, Steve McCord of GAS at Galpin knows the cars well and was able to get the car to where it would pass smog. Steve maybe a good person to speak with if you have trouble getting through smog.

Please keep us posted on your new Saleen.

-Daniel
Old 02-23-2021

I appreciate it, waiting for his bank to clear my cashiers check. Lol, don't understand that as the moment the check was issued the funds are gone from my bank and thus the cashiers check. Once he gives me the ok that the funds are in his bank , the car I scheduled to ship next week. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc View Post
Jo-Jo,

Glad to see where this car ended up. I saw this car pop up on FB and hoped it would go to an enthusiast. We purchased our 351 out of Lancaster, CA a year or so back from the original owner. He had a few issues over the years with smog and always took the car to Galpin Ford, Steve McCord of GAS at Galpin knows the cars well and was able to get the car to where it would pass smog. Steve maybe a good person to speak with if you have trouble getting through smog.

Please keep us posted on your new Saleen.

-Daniel
Old 07-06-2023
Saleen Forums Registrant

I understand your anticipation and hope that process the goes smoothly for you. It can be confusing when waiting for a cashier's check to clear, as the funds are typically deducted from your account at the time of issuance. Once the recipient confirms that the funds have been successfully deposited into their bank account, you can proceed with scheduling the shipment of the car. I wish you the best of luck, and I hope everything goes according to plan.